Dublin-Belfast

60John

Sep 15, 2004
Has anyone here ever cycled from Dublin to Belfast or vice versa?

If so, what kind of route did you take?
I'm thinking of doing it, but would like to stay off the dual carriageways if at all possible.

Only back in the 80s as one of hundreds doing the Co-operation North charity ride from Dublin to Belfast and back over two days. A great event. The increase in car traffic levels finished it off as being too dangerous and these days I would wonder how enjoyable it would be. Hard to see how you could achieve the journey on all minor roads as the options on N/S routes are limited especially around Drogheda.

Veteran of the Maracycle during the 1980's and 1990's (now called Co-Operation
North Cycle).

Dublin to Belfast is now mostly dual carriageway (motorway).
You can take the old road from Dublin - Drogheda and on to Dundalk.
I'm not from Northern ireland - so I cannot tell you if there are any back roads
once you hit Northern Ireland.

Maybe our Northern friends might be able to advise ?

Speaking for south of the border - traffic levels have increased substantially in the last few years.
Even back roads between Dublin-Dundalk are busy, these days.

Hi folks, I know the back road from Dublin through the Naul to Drogheda, which is pretty quiet and pleasant, especially now the new motorway has been built. After that I don't know the route, but from looking at the map, it occurred to me to take the main road to Dundalk, then detour to Carlingford, and get a ferry or something from there into co Down. That that would put me somewhere in the Mourne mountains. Then there looks to be a good few back roads in the Belfast direction. This would probably stretch out the spin there to two days though.

Might not come off at all, but we were planning on doing it in and around new year.

60John said:
Hi folks, I know the back road from Dublin through the Naul to Drogheda, which is pretty quiet and pleasant, especially now the new motorway has been built. After that I don't know the route, but from looking at the map, it occurred to me to take the main road to Dundalk, then detour to Carlingford, and get a ferry or something from there into co Down. That that would put me somewhere in the Mourne mountains. Then there looks to be a good few back roads in the Belfast direction. This would probably stretch out the spin there to two days though.

Might not come off at all, but we were planning on doing it in and around new year.

Back road to Drogheda still exists - Swords - Balbriggan - Julianstown - Drogheda.
Dogheda to Dundalk back road is there as well.

Suggest going Dundalk - Lisburn - Portadown - Belfast.
You don't need a ferry to do it.
It's about 120 miles in total.

Hi folks, first post :)

If you come through Newry you can go towards hilltown which will take you straight through the middle of the Mourne Mountains to Castlewellan. You can then go through the country to Spa, Ballynahinch and then main road (single carrageway) to Belfast.

A bit longer than going direct to Belfast from Newry. But the direct route takes you pretty much all the way on a dual carriageway and sucks.

I have only ever driven either of these but the drive through the mountains is by far my favourite.

Axle

axle.bolt said:
Hi folks, first post :)

If you come through Newry you can go towards hilltown which will take you straight through the middle of the Mourne Mountains to Castlewellan. You can then go through the country to Spa, Ballynahinch and then main road (single carrageway) to Belfast.

A bit longer than going direct to Belfast from Newry. But the direct route takes you pretty much all the way on a dual carriageway and sucks.

I have only ever driven either of these but the drive through the mountains is by far my favourite.

Axle

Thanks mate, I will do it one of the days. Tough climbs and great scenery in the Mournes I'd imagine?