Early Specialized Carbon framed bikes frame problems?

RS

Guest
The first Specialized carbon framed road bikes, late 80s-early 90s
looked groovy with the carbon tubes mated to aluminum lugs. One
shop said there were problems with those frames, that they separated
or corroded at or in the lugs. Has anyone had experience with this?

thanks

On Aug 9, 8:29 pm, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
> The first Specialized carbon framed road bikes, late 80s-early 90s
> looked groovy with the carbon tubes mated to aluminum lugs. One
> shop said there were problems with those frames, that they separated
> or corroded at or in the lugs. Has anyone had experience with this?
>
> thanks

IIRC, "galvanic corrosion" between the aluminum and carbon was the
culprit. In addition to Specialized, similarly constructed frames from
Alan, Trek and others suffered from this. I doubt a used frame of this
construction is worth much attention.

RS wrote:
> The first Specialized carbon framed road bikes, late 80s-early 90s
> looked groovy with the carbon tubes mated to aluminum lugs. One
> shop said there were problems with those frames, that they separated
> or corroded at or in the lugs. Has anyone had experience with this?
>
> thanks

I probably saw the same one you are looking at. I'd be leary of it, for
good reason or not, just because of those joints. Other than that, it
would be an interesting frame to own.

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> On Aug 9, 8:29 pm, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The first Specialized carbon framed road bikes, late 80s-early 90s
>> looked groovy with the carbon tubes mated to aluminum lugs. One
>> shop said there were problems with those frames, that they separated
>> or corroded at or in the lugs. Has anyone had experience with this?
>>
>> thanks

> IIRC, "galvanic corrosion" between the aluminum and carbon was the
> culprit. In addition to Specialized, similarly constructed frames from
> Alan, Trek and others suffered from this. I doubt a used frame of this
> construction is worth much attention.

I had one of the early Alez frames and put thousands of miles on it over
17 years. The lugs were crusty from corrosion but no issues (and I weigh
200#). A couple of months ago, the downtube shifter boss broke loose.

I took it to the LBS I bought it from and Specialized gave me a brand
new Roubaix frame (aluminum, no fork) as a replacement!

I asked the LBS about the lug bond rumors and they had never seen or
heard of one actually breaking.

On Aug 9, 6:29 pm, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
> The first Specialized carbon framed road bikes, late 80s-early 90s
> looked groovy with the carbon tubes mated to aluminum lugs. One
> shop said there were problems with those frames, that they separated
> or corroded at or in the lugs. Has anyone had experience with this?
>
> thanks

The Specialized frames, Epic or Allez, were especially notorious for
their separation of the downtube and seat stays from the bottom
bracket shell. Specialized replaced their share of them.

However, they continued to make these for several years and, as I
understand it, mostly work out their problems. I know someone who has
a 1993 Specialized Epic which was his good bike for several years and
about 20K miles. Today it serves as an awesome fixed gear.

If you have one and really think it's junk, send it to me.

Tom

On Aug 10, 9:30 am, Mike Hejl <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> > On Aug 9, 8:29 pm, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> The first Specialized carbon framed road bikes, late 80s-early 90s
> >> looked groovy with the carbon tubes mated to aluminum lugs. One
> >> shop said there were problems with those frames, that they separated
> >> or corroded at or in the lugs. Has anyone had experience with this?

> >> thanks

> > IIRC, "galvanic corrosion" between the aluminum and carbon was the
> > culprit. In addition to Specialized, similarly constructed frames from
> > Alan, Trek and others suffered from this. I doubt a used frame of this
> > construction is worth much attention.

> I had one of the early Alez frames and put thousands of miles on it over
> 17 years. The lugs were crusty from corrosion but no issues (and I weigh
> 200#). A couple of months ago, the downtube shifter boss broke loose.
>
> I took it to the LBS I bought it from and Specialized gave me a brand
> new Roubaix frame (aluminum, no fork) as a replacement!
>
> I asked the LBS about the lug bond rumors and they had never seen or
> heard of one actually breaking.

I have a 1990 Epic Allez, which I bought new and have ridden since. I
must have 20,000+ miles on the frame. Currently set up with 8 speed
Dura Ace and Campy Chorus crankset. Yes, I spread the chainstays a
bit to get the 130 mm axle in place.

I don't see any sign (yet) of corrosion or separation. But I did buy
a new '07 Specialized Roubaix this year. Partially because I wanted
the additional bit of comfort. But also because I live in South
Florida now and ride near the beach. I can't help but wonder if the
addition of sea air might hasten the corrosion.

I did notice the dramatic difference in "flex", meaning when I press
my foot gently on the bottom bracket and observe the deflection. The
new bike is much better. The SRAM Rival components just plain works
also.

I keep the Allez as a backup bike and for company to ride. Still
going strong.

Just my two cents.

Sparky

sparkyharley wrote:

> I have a 1990 Epic Allez, which I bought new and have ridden since. I
> must have 20,000+ miles on the frame. Currently set up with 8 speed
> Dura Ace and Campy Chorus crankset. Yes, I spread the chainstays a
> bit to get the 130 mm axle in place.
> I keep the Allez as a backup bike and for company to ride. Still
> going strong.

That's a good report all right. Do you have any idea how long they sold
frames like yours? I have just never seen one before.

On Aug 13, 11:02 am, catzz66 <[email protected]> wrote:
> sparkyharley wrote:

> > I have a 1990 Epic Allez, which I bought new and have ridden since. I
> > must have 20,000+ miles on the frame. Currently set up with 8 speed
> > Dura Ace and Campy Chorus crankset. Yes, I spread the chainstays a
> > bit to get the 130 mm axle in place.
> > I keep the Allez as a backup bike and for company to ride. Still
> > going strong.

> That's a good report all right. Do you have any idea how long they sold
> frames like yours? I have just never seen one before.

I remember that the same frame was available the year before and after
1990. I liked the decal colors better for those years. My decals are
a reddish-rose color that actually has grown on me over the years.
The other decals were yellow and really stood out against the natural
carbon weave.

I think the frame was new in 1988 or 1989. ??

Sorry, but I don't know when this frame was discontinued. I believe
it was still around during the mid '90's.

RS wrote:
> The first Specialized carbon framed road bikes, late 80s-early 90s
> looked groovy with the carbon tubes mated to aluminum lugs. One
> shop said there were problems with those frames, that they separated
> or corroded at or in the lugs. Has anyone had experience with this?

I had a '92 or '93 Specialized that corroded as you mention. Specialized
replaced it in early 2000's (I think the r.b.t archives probably contain
a more accurate date). The frame didn't actually fall apart, but the
corrosion was obviously visible around the seat lug and bottom bracket.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Everyone confesses that exertion which brings out all the powers of body
and mind is the best thing for us; but most people do all they can to
get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than
circumstances drive them to do. -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and
novelist (1811-1896)