eDiscountBike: Junk for sale

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by B. Sanders, May 14, 2003.

  1. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    I should have known better...

    Recently, I bought some Grimeca System 9 mechanical disc brakes from eDiscountBike.com (via Ebay)
    for $49 complete set, front and rear, brand new in the OEM packaging. Turns out, the front caliper
    won't clear the spokes! I've tried 2 different I.S. forks and 3 different front calipers. The Avid
    and Cyclone calipers worked fine on both forks, plenty of spoke clearance, perfect disc alignment.
    The Grimeca is way out of spec for I.S. mounts - now I know why they're so cheap! They're rejects!
    The rear caliper at least mounted OK, and it does stop the bike, but it squeals constantly. Can't
    adjust it out, and it isn't getting any better. Very annoying. I'm getting rid of it and getting an
    Avid. Wish I hadn't wasted my money on this Grimeca crap.

    I also bought some Tektro V-brakes for $7.99 for complete, new OEM F+R set from eDiscountBike.
    Again, seemed like a great deal. Well, they were very difficult to set up correctly. The return
    springs couldn't be much wimpier, and the arms look like they'll snap off in a strong wind. The
    pivots are sticky and sloppy. For now they do at least stop the bike, so it's not a total waste of
    money. Still, I wish I had spent $30 on a complete set of Koski's. These won't last long, from the
    looks of things.

    Caveat Emptor

    Barry

    Tags:

  2. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I should have known better...
    >
    > Recently, I bought some Grimeca System 9 mechanical disc brakes from eDiscountBike.com (via Ebay)
    > for $49 complete set, front and rear, brand
    new
    > in the OEM packaging. Turns out, the front caliper won't clear the
    spokes!
    > I've tried 2 different I.S. forks and 3 different front calipers. The Avid and Cyclone calipers
    > worked fine on both forks, plenty of spoke clearance, perfect disc alignment. The Grimeca is
    > way out of spec for I.S. mounts - now I know why they're so cheap! They're rejects! The rear
    > caliper at
    least
    > mounted OK, and it does stop the bike, but it squeals constantly. Can't adjust it out, and it
    > isn't getting any better. Very annoying. I'm getting rid of it and getting an Avid. Wish I hadn't
    > wasted my money on this
    Grimeca
    > crap.
    >
    > I also bought some Tektro V-brakes for $7.99 for complete, new OEM F+R set from eDiscountBike.
    > Again, seemed like a great deal. Well, they were
    very
    > difficult to set up correctly. The return springs couldn't be much
    wimpier,
    > and the arms look like they'll snap off in a strong wind. The pivots are sticky and sloppy. For
    > now they do at least stop the bike, so it's not a total waste of money. Still, I wish I had spent
    > $30 on a complete set of Koski's. These won't last long, from the looks of things.
    >
    > Caveat Emptor
    >
    > Barry

    I bought a Sports Instruments HRM from them (ECG3, I think? The one with the backlight), and so far
    it works perfectly. No complaints, and it was cheap!

    Jon Bond

  3. "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I should have known better...

    Grimeca isn't crap. What the seller is selling was total shit. Their System 8 hydros were praised
    highly. The seller on eBay is giving Grimeca a bad name all around.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    > I should have known better...
    >
    > Recently, I bought some Grimeca System 9 mechanical disc brakes from eDiscountBike.com (via Ebay)
    > for $49 complete set, front and rear, brand new in the OEM packaging. Turns out, the front caliper
    > won't clear the spokes! I've tried 2 different I.S. forks and 3 different front calipers. The Avid
    > and Cyclone calipers worked fine on both forks, plenty of spoke clearance, perfect disc alignment.
    > The Grimeca is way out of spec for I.S. mounts - now I know why they're so cheap! They're rejects!
    > The rear caliper at least mounted OK, and it does stop the bike, but it squeals constantly. Can't
    > adjust it out, and it isn't getting any better. Very annoying. I'm getting rid of it and getting
    > an Avid. Wish I hadn't wasted my money on this Grimeca crap.
    >
    > I also bought some Tektro V-brakes for $7.99 for complete, new OEM F+R set from eDiscountBike.
    > Again, seemed like a great deal. Well, they were very difficult to set up correctly. The return
    > springs couldn't be much wimpier, and the arms look like they'll snap off in a strong wind. The
    > pivots are sticky and sloppy. For now they do at least stop the bike, so it's not a total waste of
    > money. Still, I wish I had spent $30 on a complete set of Koski's. These won't last long, from the
    > looks of things.
    >
    > Caveat Emptor
    >
    > Barry

    It's probably your hub unless the brake was designed for use with an 8" or greater rotor and you are
    using a 6".
    --
    _________________________

  5. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > I should have known better...
    > >
    > > Recently, I bought some Grimeca System 9 mechanical disc brakes from eDiscountBike.com (via
    > > Ebay) for $49 complete set, front and rear, brand
    new
    > > in the OEM packaging. Turns out, the front caliper won't clear the
    spokes!
    > > I've tried 2 different I.S. forks and 3 different front calipers. The
    Avid
    > > and Cyclone calipers worked fine on both forks, plenty of spoke
    clearance,
    > > perfect disc alignment. The Grimeca is way out of spec for I.S.
    mounts -
    > > now I know why they're so cheap! They're rejects! The rear caliper at
    least
    > > mounted OK, and it does stop the bike, but it squeals constantly. Can't adjust it out, and it
    > > isn't getting any better. Very annoying. I'm
    getting
    > > rid of it and getting an Avid. Wish I hadn't wasted my money on this
    Grimeca
    > > crap.
    > >
    > > I also bought some Tektro V-brakes for $7.99 for complete, new OEM F+R
    set
    > > from eDiscountBike. Again, seemed like a great deal. Well, they were
    very
    > > difficult to set up correctly. The return springs couldn't be much
    wimpier,
    > > and the arms look like they'll snap off in a strong wind. The pivots are sticky and sloppy. For
    > > now they do at least stop the bike, so it's not
    > > total waste of money. Still, I wish I had spent $30 on a complete set of Koski's. These won't
    > > last long, from the looks of things.
    > >
    > > Caveat Emptor
    > >
    > > Barry
    > >

    > It's probably your hub unless the brake was designed for use with an 8" or greater rotor and you
    > are using a 6".

    I tried 3 different calipers on two different forks. The only one of the 3 calipers that didn't
    clear the spokes was the Grimeca. The Grimeca caliper also didn't even come close to aligning
    properly with the disc rotor. I'm using a Ritchey hub. The disc rotor included with the Grimeca
    caliper was 6" diameter. It came in sealed Grimeca OEM packaging. I installed it correctly. It was
    and is a faulty unit, very probably a factory reject. That's what eDiscountBike sells - factory
    rejects. Have a look for yourself. Wonder why they're selling all those unpainted frames?

    Barry

  6. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    They've got cat litter listed with bike accessories!

    I'm glad to hear this, I almost pulled the trigger on one of those cheapo headsets from them.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/13/2003

  7. El Barista

    El Barista Guest

    Nelson Binch wrote:

    > They've got cat litter listed with bike accessories!

    Shock oil spills? *shrug*

    -will

  8. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "El Barista" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Nelson Binch wrote:
    >
    > > They've got cat litter listed with bike accessories!
    >
    > Shock oil spills? *shrug*

    No, cat litter is made from bentonite clay. ediscountbikes sell it because it's intended for home
    anodizing those unpainted aluminun frames they sell. You make a paste of the clay and add the food
    coloring or Rit dye of your choice; then you pack the frame in the wet clay and bake it in a 375
    degree oven for about 2 1/2 hours. Let it cool, crack off the clay coating with a broomstick or
    something, and voila! One cool anodized aluminum frame unlike anyone else's.

  9. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

    > No, cat litter is made from bentonite clay. ediscountbikes sell it because it's intended for home
    > anodizing those unpainted aluminun frames they sell.

    Though I've not tried anything like what you describe, I've gotten three bare aluminum frames from
    ediscountbike.com and every one was perfect. One of my bike clubmates got one, and his experience
    was the same.

    The only thing that bothers me about eDiscountBike is the inflated shipping fees. $7 to ship one $7
    headset? $12 headset and $2 shipping is more like it.

    Chalo Colina

  10. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    The OEM packaging should tip you off. That stuff is only supposed to go into new bike builds, not be
    sold standalone. Anyone selling gray market goods is not 100% legit.

    Many vendors will not honor the warranty on such gray market stuff.

    -Dave

  11. I tried 3 different calipers on two different forks. The only one of the 3 calipers that didn't
    clear the spokes was the Grimeca. The Grimeca caliper also didn't even come close to aligning
    properly with the disc rotor. I'm using a Ritchey hub. The disc rotor included with the Grimeca
    caliper was 6" diameter. It came in sealed Grimeca OEM packaging. I installed it correctly. It was
    and is a faulty unit, very probably a factory reject. That's what eDiscountBike sells - factory
    rejects. Have a look for yourself. Wonder why they're selling all those unpainted frames?

    Barry

    Let me say I have no idea who you are talking about with this ediscount place, I'm just trying to
    help you get that brake to work if it is possible to do so. It's not out of the realm of
    possibilities that the hub you have does not have enough spacing to mount that brake even if it does
    work with other brakes. The only way I could see a flaw in the caliper like that happening is if the
    face of the two bolt mounts was not machined after casting, or machined excessively. Do you notice
    if there is still paint on these surfaces rather than a flat machined surface?

    --
    _________________________

  12. Baltobernie

    Baltobernie Guest

    Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "El Barista" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Nelson Binch wrote:
    > >
    > > > They've got cat litter listed with bike accessories!
    > >
    > > Shock oil spills? *shrug*
    >
    > No, cat litter is made from bentonite clay. ediscountbikes sell it because it's intended for home
    > anodizing those unpainted aluminun frames they sell. You make a paste of the clay and add the food
    > coloring or Rit dye of your choice; then you pack the frame in the wet clay and bake it in a 375
    > degree oven for about 2 1/2 hours. Let it cool, crack off the clay coating with a broomstick or
    > something, and voila! One cool anodized aluminum frame unlike anyone else's.

    So how do you talk your local pizza guy into letting you use his oven?

    Bernie

  13. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bluto) wrote:

    > Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > No, cat litter is made from bentonite clay. ediscountbikes sell it because it's intended for
    > > home anodizing those unpainted aluminun frames they sell.
    >
    > Though I've not tried anything like what you describe,

    Just as well, considering that it was an obvious hoax. ;-)

  14. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The OEM packaging should tip you off. That stuff is only supposed to go into new bike builds, not
    > be sold standalone. Anyone selling gray market goods is not 100% legit.
    >
    > Many vendors will not honor the warranty on such gray market stuff.

    Agreed. I've learned my lesson, and won't be doing business with eDiscountBike.com again.

    -Barry

  15. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I tried 3 different calipers on two different forks. The only one of the 3 calipers that didn't
    > clear the spokes was the Grimeca. The Grimeca caliper also didn't even come close to aligning
    > properly with the disc rotor. I'm using a Ritchey hub. The disc rotor included with the Grimeca
    > caliper was 6" diameter. It came in sealed Grimeca OEM packaging. I installed it correctly. It was
    > and is a faulty unit, very probably a factory reject. That's what eDiscountBike sells - factory
    > rejects. Have a look for yourself. Wonder why they're selling all those unpainted frames?
    >
    > Barry
    > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    > Let me say I have no idea who you are talking about with this ediscount place, I'm just trying to
    > help you get that brake to work if it is possible to do so. It's not out of the realm of
    > possibilities that the hub you have does not have enough spacing to mount that brake even if it
    > does work with other brakes. The only way I could see a flaw in the caliper like that happening is
    > if the face of the two bolt mounts was not machined after casting, or machined excessively. Do you
    > notice if there is still paint on these surfaces rather than a flat machined surface?

    The mating surface on the caliper has the casting marks - no machining. I think it's a factory
    reject being sold without mentioning the fact that it won't work with standard I.S. forks (or any
    forks, unless you want to machine a few mm of material off the caliper, which would probably work.)

    The hub and wheels (I have 2 with the same hub) are fine. The Grimeca caliper is out-of-spec,
    probably missed a step in mfr'ing. eDiscountBikes should have mentioned that. They didn't. I won't
    be back for more.

    Barry

  16. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I should have known better...
    <snip the self proclaimed discount king's tales of woe>

    Use a good LBS next time, Barry Bargain.

    JD

  17. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You ever think you may need some kind of adapter. I've got a Noleen fork from them
    > no problem.

    The forks are both I.S. standard and brand new. They both work fine with other brands of front
    calipers and disc rotors (Avid and Cyclone). The only part that isn't working is the Grimeca caliper
    from eDiscountBike. So, no, there isn't an adapter issue. This is about defective parts.
    eDiscountBike won't accept returns on parts that are unsealed, so I'm stuck with useless junk.

    -Barry

  18. Ground Zero

    Ground Zero Guest

    "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The OEM packaging should tip you off. That stuff is only supposed to go into new bike builds, not
    > be sold standalone. Anyone selling gray market goods is not 100% legit.
    >
    > Many vendors will not honor the warranty on such gray market stuff.
    >
    > -Dave

    Legally, "vendors" (I assume, from the context, this means the retail store) are not liable for
    warranty issues. That's the responsibility of the manufacturer. The manufacturer is the party
    offering the warranty, not the store.

    Good stores, mine included, handle most warranty claims in-house as a service to their customers.
    The only time stores don't do this is when the warranty claim is questionable (suspicious JRA claim,
    etc.). If the store is not sure how the manufacturer will handle the warranty claim, it should act
    as an advocate for the customer. However, if the manufacturer denies the warranty claim, the store
    is not obligated to honor the warranty.

    Many manufacturers will not honor warranty claims for items purchased from unauthorized dealers....
    grey market, liquidators, eBay vendors, etc. A well-known example is when Price Club/Costco managed
    to snag some grey market Cannondales. Cannondale posted statements in magazines notifying consumers
    that Cannondale bicycles purchased from Price Club/Costco, or any unauthorized dealer, are not
    covered by its warranty.

    Stuart Winsor Ground Zero Cycles [email protected]

  19. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > You ever think you may need some kind of adapter. I've got a Noleen fork from
    > > them no problem.
    >
    > The forks are both I.S. standard and brand new. They both work fine with other brands of front
    > calipers and disc rotors (Avid and Cyclone). The only part that isn't working is the Grimeca
    > caliper from eDiscountBike. So, no, there isn't an adapter issue. This is about defective parts.
    > eDiscountBike won't accept returns on parts that are unsealed, so I'm stuck with useless junk.
    >
    > -Barry

    you and they in the US? file a consumer fraud complaint with the attorney general stating that they
    did not specifically state the caliper may be defective to begin with.
    --
    ~Travis

  20. Grl

    Grl Guest

    I bought a Sports Instruments ECG-5 heart monitor from them, it came the same week I bought it,
    brand new condition. It works great. Shipping was reasonable, if not cheap. No complaints at all.
    Would definitely buy from them again.

    They have a 99.7% positive feedback rating with 18,000+ feedbacks which is extremely good by any
    standard.. Crooks and schlock merchants do not get that kind of positive feedback rating.

    These guys are obviously honest and the wildly overwhelming majority of buyers are happy. I think
    few retail stores (bike shop or any other kind) would have that good a customer feedback rating.

    Did you take up your problems(s) with them?

    --

    - GRL

    "It's good to want things."

    Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic programmer) "B.
    Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I should have known better...
    >
    > Recently, I bought some Grimeca System 9 mechanical disc brakes from eDiscountBike.com (via Ebay)
    > for $49 complete set, front and rear, brand
    new
    > in the OEM packaging. Turns out, the front caliper won't clear the
    spokes!
    > I've tried 2 different I.S. forks and 3 different front calipers. The Avid and Cyclone calipers
    > worked fine on both forks, plenty of spoke clearance, perfect disc alignment. The Grimeca is
    > way out of spec for I.S. mounts - now I know why they're so cheap! They're rejects! The rear
    > caliper at
    least
    > mounted OK, and it does stop the bike, but it squeals constantly. Can't adjust it out, and it
    > isn't getting any better. Very annoying. I'm getting rid of it and getting an Avid. Wish I hadn't
    > wasted my money on this
    Grimeca