Frank Krygowski wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::
::: Anyway, since folks have been telling me to raise my saddle
::: (including the cute lady who sold me my bike
::
:: ;-) I think it's time you posted the cutie's picture.
I think she's smart, too.
::
::
::: -- I think she was afraid for me at first so
::: played it safe), I thought to ask for some assistance on getting it
::: close (they're pushing me to pay the $100 for a professional
::: fitting). Anyway, one of the guys (a mechanic and one of the two
::: people there who does the fittings) decides to help me out...puts
::: the bike on the trainer and has me start riding. By then end of 30
::: minutes or so, he has raised the saddle hight by 2.5 inches!!
:::
::: I'm wondering what practical difference this will make?
::
:: 2.5 inches will make a huge practical difference!
Well, it most certainly did. However, I'm not sure I can say it is a
positive one, yet.
I rode 13 miles this morning. No problems on the legs, but where I sit on
the saddle had greater discomfort, and my hands were getting numb. Only
after 13 miles. Of course, I've put over 900 miles on my bike with the
saddle in the other position, so I think I should expect some adjustment
time...
::
:: Riding a saddle that's too low is like doing a Groucho Marx duck walk
:: all day long. It puts lots of unnecessary strain on your knees.
::
:: You mention doing leg presses. You should be able to verify the idea
:: with that machine, if it's got enough adjustment. See how much you
:: can raise with your leg nearly extended, versus how little you can
:: raise
:: with your knees deeply bent.
Right..
::
:: One way of setting saddle height is to lean against a wall to support
:: yourself, unclip, put your _heels_ on the pedals, and backpedal.
:: Your
:: seat should be high enough so you can barely contact the pedals at
:: their lowest point. (Hip rocking to "stretch" is not allowed.)
I'll keep that in mind. I may end up getting a trainer this winter.
::
:: If you set your seat height this way, then when you clip in properly,
:: you'll have about the right bend (i.e. pretty slight) in your knees.
::
:: Of course, nothing's perfect. This works pretty well if your body -
:: especially shoe size - is all "normal." Feel free to make slight
:: adjustements to fine tune things.
::
Yeah, after a few more rides....I may just shell out another $100 to get the
fit optimized...I might need a longer stem, too.
:: With the seat high enough, you'll ride _much_ stronger.
I didn't feel any stronger. But pedalling itself does feel more natural.
Getting on and off the bike is more complicated...and things are trickier at
intersections...[censored]! I'm going to do more frequent but shorter rides over
the next week to try to speed the adjustment. I've reread sheldon browns'
comments on mounting/dismounting the bike. His dismount info seems a little
vague...and mounting is trickier with the clipless pedals...damn! I feel
like I'm back to square one... A rank noob....
::
:: (With the seat too high, your hips might rock and cause saddle
:: problems,
:: or you may get pain in the back of the knee from over-extending.)
::
Hmm....I could not detect hips rocking on this bike this morning nor in the
LBS yesterday....and looking for it is part of the reason I let them help me
rather than trying to do it myself