Eggbeaters are for spinners?

Gman

Guest
Just curious what kind of response the subj line will get.

My second ride today on the SS with the Egg Bs and it seems to me that they have too much float for
singlespeeding. They're great for spinning, but when I mash on the pedals, I don't want to spend any
energy managing the "yaw" of my foot.

I feel like some of my pedaling force is being sapped by the ever-buttery sideways motion the Egg
Beaters provide. When you're spinning, the float makes things nice for your knees, but when you're
mashing, maybe the opposite?

Opinions?

I do still have to RTFM and see if I can tighten them up a bit.

Gman

"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just curious what kind of response the subj line will get.
>
> My second ride today on the SS with the Egg Bs and it seems to me that they have too much float
> for singlespeeding. They're great for spinning, but when I mash on the pedals, I don't want to
> spend any energy managing the "yaw" of my foot.
>
> I feel like some of my pedaling force is being sapped by the ever-buttery sideways motion the Egg
> Beaters provide. When you're spinning, the float makes things nice for your knees, but when you're
> mashing, maybe the opposite?
>
> Opinions?
>
> I do still have to RTFM and see if I can tighten them up a bit.
>
> Gman

Nothing to do with the pedals, but an interesting article about cadence and spinning:

http://www.bsn.com/cycling/articles/cadence.html

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Gman said...

> Just curious what kind of response the subj line will get.
>
> My second ride today on the SS with the Egg Bs and it seems to me that they have too much float
> for singlespeeding. They're great for spinning, but when I mash on the pedals, I don't want to
> spend any energy managing the "yaw" of my foot.
>
> I feel like some of my pedaling force is being sapped by the ever-buttery sideways motion the Egg
> Beaters provide. When you're spinning, the float makes things nice for your knees, but when you're
> mashing, maybe the opposite?
>
> Opinions?
>
> I do still have to RTFM and see if I can tighten them up a bit.
>
> Gman

SPD or platforms. I guess that is the obvious answer, but I guess somebody had to say it.

"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just curious what kind of response the subj line will get.
>
> My second ride today on the SS with the Egg Bs and it seems to me that they have too much float
> for singlespeeding. They're great for spinning, but when I mash on the pedals, I don't want to
> spend any energy managing the "yaw" of my foot.
>
> I feel like some of my pedaling force is being sapped by the ever-buttery sideways motion the Egg
> Beaters provide. When you're spinning, the float makes things nice for your knees, but when you're
> mashing, maybe the opposite?
>
> Opinions?
>
> I do still have to RTFM and see if I can tighten them up a bit.

I use Eggbeaters on my mtbs, and am generally happy with them. There's no way to "tighten them up a
bit", AFAIK, although the cleats are made to provide different floats depending on which foot
they're installed (star or circle indicator).

My first thought re. singlespeeding & EB's would concern their very small "platform" compared to
other pedals. Since you have to stand and mash a lot on an SS, they might not be the optimal choice
(pure speculation, though).

Bill "try switching the cleats first?" S.

> My first thought re. singlespeeding & EB's would concern their very small "platform" compared to
> other pedals. Since you have to stand and mash a lot on an SS, they might not be the optimal
> choice (pure speculation, though).
>
> Bill "try switching the cleats first?" S.

You might have something there bill. My other pedals are the classic SPDs (older Shimano 737s I
think) and they have a decent sized body. It is possible that my shoes get purchase on the body of
the pedal and it requires less effort to keep my foot straight.

I'm becoming more convinced that the Egg Beaters are predominantly a "sit-n-spin" type of pedal.

i've had mine for about 10 rides. i have found that they are not the easiest to get out of when you
really need to dab your foot.

also, i thought the eggbeaters' lack of a platform wouldn't really matter- wrong.. when you are
in and out alot the lack of a stable platform can be a little tedious when your are hunting for
the pedal.

i'll be sure to replace them with a set of time atac series pedals next spring.

edwards

--
I want to know God's thoughts... all the rest are details. --Albert Einstein "Gman"

Edwards wrote:
> i've had mine for about 10 rides. i have found that they are not the easiest to get out of when
> you really need to dab your foot.
>
> also, i thought the eggbeaters' lack of a platform wouldn't really matter- wrong.. when you are
> in and out alot the lack of a stable platform can be a little tedious when your are hunting for
> the pedal.
>
> i'll be sure to replace them with a set of time atac series pedals next spring.
>
> edwards

I wouldn't think that float had anything to do with being able to hold your foot straight. That's
technique.

Maybe it has something to do with the shoe. The soles on mine have heavy tread and I get as much
purchase width on the egg beates as I used to with SPDs. I tried putting hose sections on both sides
of the spindal as an experiment to get more purchase and found that I couldn't clip-in because I was
already getting contact at the edges.

David

"Super Slinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gman said...
>
> > Just curious what kind of response the subj line will get.
> >
> > My second ride today on the SS with the Egg Bs and it seems to me that they have too much float
> > for singlespeeding. They're great for spinning, but when I mash on the pedals, I don't want to
> > spend any energy managing the "yaw" of my foot.
> >
> > I feel like some of my pedaling force is being sapped by the ever-buttery sideways motion the
> > Egg Beaters provide. When you're spinning, the float makes things nice for your knees, but when
> > you're mashing, maybe the opposite?
> >
> > Opinions?
> >
> > I do still have to RTFM and see if I can tighten them up a bit.
> >
> > Gman
>
> SPD or platforms. I guess that is the obvious answer, but I guess somebody had to say it.

Or maybe some Candy would help...

KLydesdale said...

> Or maybe some Candy would help...

Not sure if they would help with his sideways motion problems though.

"Super Slinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> KLydesdale said...
>
> > Or maybe some Candy would help...
>
> Not sure if they would help with his sideways motion problems though.

Why wouldn't they? One thing having a cage around the pedal can do it give something for the treads
on your shoe to contact. While this can cause interference problems, it can also provide sideways
stability.

Sorni wrote:
> "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Just curious what kind of response the subj line will get.
>>
>>My second ride today on the SS with the Egg Bs and it seems to me that they have too much float
>>for singlespeeding. They're great for spinning, but when I mash on the pedals, I don't want to
>>spend any energy managing the "yaw" of my foot.
>>
>>I feel like some of my pedaling force is being sapped by the ever-buttery sideways motion the Egg
>>Beaters provide. When you're spinning, the float makes things nice for your knees, but when you're
>>mashing, maybe the opposite?
>>
>>Opinions?
>>
>>I do still have to RTFM and see if I can tighten them up a bit.
>

> I use Eggbeaters on my mtbs, and am generally happy with them. There's no way to "tighten them up
> a bit", AFAIK, although the cleats are made to provide different floats depending on which foot
> they're installed (star or circle indicator).
>
> My first thought re. singlespeeding & EB's would concern their very small "platform" compared to
> other pedals. Since you have to stand and mash a lot on an SS, they might not be the optimal
> choice (pure speculation, though).
>
> Bill "try switching the cleats first?" S.

Bill, doesn't Cliff run eggbeaters?

Miles

"miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Sorni wrote:

> > My first thought re. singlespeeding & EB's would concern their very
small
> > "platform" compared to other pedals. Since you have to stand and mash a
lot
> > on an SS, they might not be the optimal choice (pure speculation,
though).

> Bill, doesn't Cliff run eggbeaters?

I have no idea, Miles -- usually I notice those things, but apparently not
w/Cliff. (Only two rides with him lately were Idyllwild a few months ago and Noble last weekend.)

Maybe that 2-lb. iron plate he bolted to his Ti Titus distracted me from the pedals :)

Bill "dead serious" S.

miles todd wrote:

> Sorni wrote:
>> My first thought re. singlespeeding & EB's would concern their very small "platform" compared to
>> other pedals. Since you have to stand and mash a lot on an SS, they might not be the optimal
>> choice (pure speculation, though).

I run Frogs on mine (road & mtb), and am curious. Are the "floats" roughly the same? I've never had
problems mashing.

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Sorni wrote:
> >> My first thought re. singlespeeding & EB's would concern their very
small
> >> "platform" compared to other pedals. Since you have to stand and mash a lot on an SS, they
> >> might not be the optimal choice (pure speculation, though).
>
> I run Frogs on mine (road & mtb), and am curious. Are the "floats" roughly the same? I've never
> had problems mashing.

Forget the Eggbeaters -- buy some Potato Mashers!

Bill "Frogs for breakfast? Eeewwwww..." S.

Sorni wrote:
> "miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Sorni wrote:
>

>>>My first thought re. singlespeeding & EB's would concern their very
>
> small
>
>>>"platform" compared to other pedals. Since you have to stand and mash a
>
> lot
>
>>>on an SS, they might not be the optimal choice (pure speculation,
>
> though).
>

>>Bill, doesn't Cliff run eggbeaters?
>

> I have no idea, Miles -- usually I notice those things, but apparently not
> w/Cliff. (Only two rides with him lately were Idyllwild a few months ago and Noble last weekend.)
>
> Maybe that 2-lb. iron plate he bolted to his Ti Titus distracted me from the pedals :)
>
> Bill "dead serious" S.

It's actually a 2.5 pound plate. Of course, he machined off a little metal to get it to fit in his
frame, so maybe it's only 2.4 pounds now...

Miles

>> Maybe that 2-lb. iron plate he bolted to his Ti Titus distracted me from the pedals :)
>>
>> Bill "dead serious" S.
>
> It's actually a 2.5 pound plate. Of course, he machined off a little metal to get it to fit in his
> frame, so maybe it's only 2.4 pounds now...
>
> Miles

OK, I gotta ask...2.5 lb plate??? huh?

Gman wrote:
>>>Maybe that 2-lb. iron plate he bolted to his Ti Titus distracted me from the pedals :)
>>>
>>>Bill "dead serious" S.
>>
>>It's actually a 2.5 pound plate. Of course, he machined off a little metal to get it to fit in his
>>frame, so maybe it's only 2.4 pounds now...
>>
>>Miles
>>

> OK, I gotta ask...2.5 lb plate??? huh?

That's a valid question. Cliff has a 2.5 pound iron barbell weight fastened using long waterbottle
bolts to the bottle cage mounts on the inside of the main traingle of the frame of his custom Titus
single speed. It sits inline with the bike, and he machined some nice flats (it's octagonal, not
round) to mate with the tubing angles. He spent some time and effort, and it is a really clean job.
Why? God only knows. He gives some goofball answer about wanting to humiliate a freerider friend of
his... Maybe somebody (Mike, are you listening?) can post a photo.

Miles