Eggbeaters and Sidi soles

Craig Brossman

Guest
I've heard a few comments regarding Eggbeaters and having to
trim the lugs on various shoes to allow for un-clipping. I
am considering these pedals on my new ride (not yet
disclosed). I certainly don't live in a very wet
environment, but the simplicity and consistancy I read about
appeals to me. Any comments ... regarding this topic, or
otherwise I guess.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

Craig Brossman wrote:
> I've heard a few comments regarding Eggbeaters and having
> to trim the lugs on various shoes to allow for un-
> clipping. I am considering these pedals on my new ride
> (not yet disclosed). I certainly don't live in a very wet
> environment, but the simplicity and consistancy I read
> about appeals to me. Any comments ... regarding this
> topic, or otherwise I guess.

I've got the Eggbeaters on my ride, and wear Sidi Dominators
and have not had to trim the lugs. My only problems have
been when they unclip if you smash down on a rock. when they
first came out, a friend of mine had one of the wings break
when he smashed it into rock, but Crank Bros. sent him a
replacement within a week. Great pedals, but be careful of
smashing them into rocks.

Jason

Craig Brossman wrote:
> I've heard a few comments regarding Eggbeaters and having
> to trim the lugs on various shoes to allow for un-
> clipping. I am considering these pedals on my new ride
> (not yet disclosed). I certainly don't live in a very wet
> environment, but the simplicity and consistancy I read
> about appeals to me. Any comments ... regarding this
> topic, or otherwise I guess.

So what's your new ride?!? :)

I use Eggbeaters on both my mtb's (although I never seem to
ride the HT any more), with three pairs of shoes (none
SIDI's, however).

They *were* kind of stiff-releasing when both the shoes and
cleats were new, but quickly loosened up. (There's a short-
lived scary feeling when the sole lugs sort of rub against
the pedals, and it FEELS like it might prevent clipping out,
but it goes away pretty soon.) You may or may not have to
actually trim the rubber; I didn't.

My road pedals (cheap Looks) developed play, so I'm using
Eggs on the street bike right now, too. Not as good for
that, IMO, as there's not enough "platform" and solid clicked-
in feeling.

Bill "what was the question?" S.

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've heard a few comments regarding Eggbeaters and having
> to trim the lugs on various shoes to allow for un-
> clipping. I am considering these pedals on my new ride
> (not yet disclosed). I certainly don't live in a very wet
> environment, but the simplicity and consistancy I read
> about appeals to me. Any comments ... regarding this
> topic, or otherwise I
guess.
> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam"
> to reply)

Sidi Dom's - no problem.

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and
windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've heard a few comments regarding Eggbeaters and having
> to trim the lugs on various shoes to allow for un-
> clipping. I am considering these pedals on my new ride
> (not yet disclosed). I certainly don't live in a very wet
> environment, but the simplicity and consistancy I read
> about appeals to me. Any comments ... regarding this
> topic, or otherwise I
guess.
> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam"
> to reply)

I run 'beaters and Sidi Dom 4's without any problem. The
only problem is more with the pedals/cleats. The brass cleat
seems to wear down really fast. I just ride them until the
shoe no longer stays in but the good positive engagment you
get when they're new doesn't seem to last very long. But, my
shoes don't just fall out for a long time either so the
cleat must be working.

They ALWAYS are easy to disengage though and I never feel
trapped in them. Very confidence inspiring. I love them but
wish the cleat retained a harder feel for longer.

Michael

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 10:21:47 -0700, Craig Brossman wrote:

> I've heard a few comments regarding Eggbeaters and having
> to trim the lugs on various shoes to allow for un-
> clipping. I am considering these pedals on my new ride
> (not yet disclosed). I certainly don't live in a very wet
> environment, but the simplicity and consistancy I read
> about appeals to me. Any comments ... regarding this
> topic, or otherwise I guess.

I've got Sidi Dominator 4's and had to trim bits of the sole
so I could release from my Eggbeaters.

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've heard a few comments regarding Eggbeaters and having
> to trim the lugs on various shoes to allow for un-
> clipping. I am considering these pedals on my new ride
> (not yet disclosed). I certainly don't live in a very wet
> environment, but the simplicity and consistancy I read
> about appeals to me. Any comments ... regarding this
> topic, or otherwise I
guess.
> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam"
> to reply)

Sidi and my old Specialized shoes are OK, but Scott winter
shoe I had to trim, but it's not biggy.

D'amir

Craig Brossman wrote:

> I've heard a few comments regarding Eggbeaters and having
> to trim the lugs on various shoes to allow for un-
> clipping. I am considering these pedals on my new ride
> (not yet disclosed). I certainly don't live in a very wet
> environment, but the simplicity and consistancy I read
> about appeals to me. Any comments ... regarding this
> topic, or otherwise I guess.

Thanks for the replys. I think I'll just have to check them
out as soon as the new build arrives, which should be right
about the time the in-town trails start to dry out.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)