Electric assist for us older guys/women

dgdaut

Nov 6, 2009
]My family and I are saving many thousands per year by using electric bicycles. It is my primary source of local transportation and I have logged thousands of miles on it. All I did was pull an old Mongoose out of the shed and put a good quality ]electric bike kit on it, and have never had a problem. A recent article about us came out in the local paper. And now I’m doing my best to help others embrace a mode of transportation that can provide as much or as little exercise as one desires for less than a penny a mile (based on battery charging costs). There are certain safety laws that must be adhered to, but an electric powered bike that remains within the power output and braking system rules, is considered a bicycle. No insurance, registration, etc. required. The motor is independent of the pedal and gear system, so you only have to use it when you want to. The technology has come a long ways and is very reliable. The latest Lithium LifePO4 batteries will last for nearly 2000 charges and only weigh 10 lbs (or less). It’s not for everyone, and many cyclists much prefer a light bike and human power. I think that is great. For some of us, however, beating the gas pump with a little less sweat equity makes it much more fun and enjoyable!