Road Cycling · Public discussion

Entering the queue at a stop sign

Started by Roly Poly Man · · Last activity · 44 posts · 3,037 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
23 July 2003
Last activity
3 August 2003
Original author
Roly Poly Man
Posts
44
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,037
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–44 of 44
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    If the coffee's really good, there ya go! It's worth it! Especially if you can get decent growlies
    to go with it, like cinnamon rolls with sour cream icing.

    The coffee turns out to be OK, but not the Hi-Test exotics I'm used to. It's weak but palatable. Not
    Starbucks but not McDonalds either.

    The growlies are OK, it's mainly boiled eggs, grapes and brownies.

    Of course the new pitch has a microwave, which means hot oatmeal in the morning. The CVS (local
    drugstore chain) across the street has a really good selection of juices, this is a net improvement.

    There is decent Chinese food within walking distance.

    I won't expand on the other amenities, it's not all that great to tell you the truth, but it's a
    nicer environment, I can park in the shade, now.

    --

    _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
    the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email hidden]__________

  2. In article said:

    to tell you the truth, but it's a nicer environment, I can park in the shade, now.

    That's a good thing. I've recently been reminded how hot saddles can get when parked in the
    sunlight. (They do cool off quickly with some airflow, though).

    cheers, Tom

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    [point] bc [point] ca

  3. [email hidden] (Roly Poly Man) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    Most of the time I have seen cyclists fly by all the traffic right up to the stop sign. Isn't this
    kind of dangerous? I know it's

    I try to ride following the same rules a when I'm driving. COnsistency simplifies life.

    However, I find I'm having problems with exhaust fumes (especially truck and diesel) so have
    started to position myself to avoid having fumes pipe blasting straight into my face (I should
    get a hose so that no fumes are lost between the tailpipe and my lungs). This means slowly /
    carefully proceeding to the stop line at a traffic light. If traffic is flowing at a stop sign, I
    usually take my position in the line. If it's a difficult intersection, e.g. a side road and a
    busy highway, I'll pull up to the stop line so I'm not sucking fumes for ten minutes.

    Be aware of visibility issues, especially with large trucks. And those schoolbus side-mirrors are
    deadly. :-(

    (schoolbus drivers are often part-time, and many seem completely unaware of where the bus is
    on the road)

    Quoted message said:


    On the other hand, I can't see a cyclist entering the queue with vehicles. At least I don't think
    I've ever seen this done.

    Why not ? Among other advantages, it annoys the ^%$# out of drivers :-)

    Quoted message said:


    Also, what is the proper way to make a left turn at a typical busy 4-lane or 6-lane boulevard? Do
    you keep to the right and make two crossings?

    Depends on traffic and your comfort level. I have used the left-turn lane and done the same turn
    I'd do in the mothership, I've ridden across in the curb lane, then repositioned to wait for the
    light to change, and I've WALKED across the pedestrian crossing and then remounted to wait for
    the light to change the other way. Some intersections are just plain ugly, and I have enough
    gray hair.

    Everyone develops their own comfort levels and practices. These are just practices I've adopted,
    which may not conform to the strict letter of the law, and may not suit other cyclists.

    hth

  4. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050003030501090900060602 Content-Type:
    text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

    mark freedman said:

    [email hidden] (Roly Poly Man) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Most of the time I have seen cyclists fly by all the traffic right up to the stop sign. Isn't this
    kind of dangerous? I know it's

    I try to ride following the same rules a when I'm driving. COnsistency simplifies life.

    However, I find I'm having problems with exhaust fumes (especially truck and diesel) so have
    started to position myself to avoid having fumes pipe blasting straight into my face (I should
    get a hose so that no fumes are lost between the tailpipe and my lungs). This means slowly /
    carefully proceeding to the stop line at a traffic light. If traffic is flowing at a stop sign,
    I usually take my position in the line. If it's a difficult intersection, e.g. a side road and a
    busy highway, I'll pull up to the stop line so I'm not sucking fumes for ten minutes.

    Be aware of visibility issues, especially with large trucks. And those schoolbus side-mirrors
    are deadly. :-(

    (schoolbus drivers are often part-time, and many seem completely unaware of where the bus is on
    the road)

    Quoted message said:

    On the other hand, I can't see a cyclist entering the queue with vehicles. At least I don't think
    I've ever seen this done.

    Why not ? Among other advantages, it annoys the ^%$# out of drivers :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Also, what is the proper way to make a left turn at a typical busy 4-lane or 6-lane boulevard? Do
    you keep to the right and make two crossings?

    Depends on traffic and your comfort level. I have used the left-turn lane and done the same turn
    I'd do in the mothership, I've ridden across in the curb lane, then repositioned to wait for the
    light to change, and I've WALKED across the pedestrian crossing and then remounted to wait for
    the light to change the other way. Some intersections are just plain ugly, and I have enough
    gray hair.

    Everyone develops their own comfort levels and practices. These are just practices I've adopted,
    which may not conform to the strict letter of the law, and may not suit other cyclists.

    hth

    --------------050003030501090900060602 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
    http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1"> <title></title> </head> <body
    text="#000000" bgcolor="#ffffff"> <br> <br> mark freedman wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite"
    cite="[email hidden]"> <pre wrap=""><a
    class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=""][email hidden]">[email hidden]</a>
    (Roly Poly Man) wrote in message news:<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:ef3e9e44.030723-
    [email hidden]"><[email hidden]></a>...

    </pre> <blockquote type="cite"> <pre wrap="">Most of the time I have seen cyclists fly by all the
    traffic right up to the stop sign. Isn't this kind of dangerous? I know it's </pre> </blockquote>
    <pre wrap=""><!----> I try to ride following the same rules a when I'm driving. COnsistency
    simplifies life.

    However, I find I'm having problems with exhaust fumes (especially truck and diesel) so have
    started to position myself to avoid having fumes pipe blasting straight into my face (I should
    get a hose so that no fumes are lost between the tailpipe and my lungs). This means slowly /
    carefully proceeding to the stop line at a traffic light. If traffic is flowing at a stop sign, I
    usually take my position in the line. If it's a difficult intersection, e.g. a side road and a
    busy highway, I'll pull up to the stop line so I'm not sucking fumes for ten minutes.

    Be aware of visibility issues, especially with large trucks. And those schoolbus side-mirrors are
    deadly. :-(

    (schoolbus drivers are often part-time, and many seem completely unaware of where the bus is
    on the road)

    </pre> <blockquote type="cite"> <pre wrap="">On the other hand, I can't see a cyclist entering the
    queue with vehicles. At least I don't think I've ever seen this done. </pre> </blockquote> <pre
    wrap=""><!----> Why not ? Among other advantages, it annoys the ^%$# out of drivers :-) </pre>
    <blockquote type="cite"> <pre wrap="">Also, what is the proper way to make a left turn at a
    typical busy 4-lane or 6-lane boulevard? Do you keep to the right and make two crossings? </pre>
    </blockquote> <pre wrap=""><!----> Depends on traffic and your comfort level. I have used the
    left-turn lane and done the same turn I'd do in the mothership, I've ridden across in the curb
    lane, then repositioned to wait for the light to change, and I've WALKED across the pedestrian
    crossing and then remounted to wait for the light to change the other way. Some intersections are
    just plain ugly, and I have enough gray hair.

    Everyone develops their own comfort levels and practices. These are just practices I've adopted,
    which may not conform to the strict letter of the law, and may not suit other cyclists.

    hth </pre> </blockquote> </body> </html>

    --------------050003030501090900060602--

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.