UK and Europe · Public discussion

Espirit de corps

Started by Chris Harrison · · Last activity · 280 posts · 9,738 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
6 December 2003
Last activity
12 December 2003
Original author
Chris Harrison
Posts
280
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
9,738
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 101–120 of 280
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just zis Guy said:

    "Trevor Barton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    IMHO there is an unjustifiable "us and them" attitude in this group and it's (probably) similar
    in uk.tosspot

    Seen the TRL report posted earlier?

    trl.co.ukTRL549.pdf

    The attitude exists for real on the roads.

    I've not read the report but will fetch it next time my link is up.

    However, I'm well aware that there is an attitude but I don't think it's one that is confined to
    motorists towards cyclists, it's also there towards motorists from cyclists. It is very true,
    though, that the motorist is at an advantage in this ongoing hostility - they are after all in their
    ton of steel and pretty well invulnerable to anything the cyclist can throw at them, a few
    handsignals from behind the handlebars hardly contains the same degree of implicit threat as those
    coming from behind the wheel, and a close undertake on the left by a cyclist hardly endangers a
    motorist to the point where he's going to tell all his mates how he was nearly killed by a passing
    bike on the way into work this morning.

    This imbalance alters our perspective of things, though. Many cyclists feel that they are being
    targeted agressively by motorists because of the imbalance of risk. If a BMW passes you with 6" to
    spare, you're going to feel pretty scared. If you pass a BMW with 6" to spare, the driver's going to
    feel pretty annoyed. Result: Cyclist thinks BMW drivers are out to kill him and BMW driver thinks
    cyclists are annoying turds out to scratch their shiny new car. Both attitudes arising from the same
    lack of care on either side.

    Perhaps the word "unjustifiable" was a poor choice. I do think, though, that the behaviour of
    cyclists "in general" is no more to be commended than that of motorisits "in general", and that's
    why I think it's "unjustifiable". Perhaps I should have chosen a different word, perhaps
    "unsanctionable"?

    Of course there are extreme positions on either side of the debate, Paul [censored] for example, and
    red light jumping pavement cyclists on the other. PS, though, is a stupid, dangerous tosspot who
    should be flogged to within an inch of his life before being locked in the deepest, darkest dungeon,
    and red-light jumping pavement cyclists should be flogged to within an inch of their lives before
    being locked in the deepest darkest dungeon.

    Trev

  2. Nick Kew said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of

    Trevor Barton said:

    IMHO there is an unjustifiable "us and them" attitude in this group and it's (probably) similar
    in uk.tosspot, in which in this group (drivers == bad) and (cyclists == good)

    The evidence seems to be against you, especially on the second part of that statement. Look at the
    blanket-intolerance on this group of cycling misdemeanours - even occasionally jumping to
    unjustified anti-cyclist conclusions (pavement cycling isn't necessarily bad or illegal - just
    usually).

    What blanket intolerance?

    Some months ago i posted about two instances of cyclist putting me in danger (one pavement cyclist
    who all but hit me travelling at speed and another who almost hit my daughter on a pelican crossing)
    there were numerous posts in defence of the pavement cyclist and a good few in mitigation for the
    pelican guy.

    I'm with Trevor: an unjustifiable "us and them" attitude in this group. "Two unmotorised wheels
    good: everything else bad!"

    pk

  3. Pete Barrett said:
    (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) said:

    But I wouldn't describe assertive cycling as being aggressive. Riding assertively is
    riding safely.

    I ride assertively. You ride aggressively. He (she or it) rides like a complete w*nker.

    Isn't that the normal conjugation of the verb? <s>

    And, not unrelatedly, one of the Honda adverts, which finishes "aren't we all just trying to get
    somewhere"?

  4. Just zis Guy said:

    "Trevor Barton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    IMHO there is an unjustifiable "us and them" attitude in this group and it's (probably) similar
    in uk.tosspot

    Seen the TRL report posted earlier?

    trl.co.ukTRL549.pdf

    The attitude exists for real on the roads.

    Just as the attitude of cyclists ignoring pelican crossings, and pedestrians crossing on traffic
    lights exists for real on the roads. And cyclists acting aggressively and dangerously to other
    cyclists and walkers exists off road.

    pk

  5. Just zis Guy said:

    "Trevor Barton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    IMHO there is an unjustifiable "us and them" attitude in this group and it's (probably) similar
    in uk.tosspot

    Seen the TRL report posted earlier?

    trl.co.ukTRL549.pdf

    The attitude exists for real on the roads.

    I've not read the report but will fetch it next time my link is up.

    However, I'm well aware that there is an attitude but I don't think it's one that is confined to
    motorists towards cyclists, it's also there towards motorists from cyclists. It is very true,
    though, that the motorist is at an advantage in this ongoing hostility - they are after all in their
    ton of steel and pretty well invulnerable to anything the cyclist can throw at them, a few
    handsignals from behind the handlebars hardly contains the same degree of implicit threat as those
    coming from behind the wheel, and a close undertake on the left by a cyclist hardly endangers a
    motorist to the point where he's going to tell all his mates how he was nearly killed by a passing
    bike on the way into work this morning.

    This imbalance alters our perspective of things, though. Many cyclists feel that they are being
    targeted agressively by motorists because of the imbalance of risk. If a BMW passes you with 6" to
    spare, you're going to feel pretty scared. If you pass a BMW with 6" to spare, the driver's going to
    feel pretty annoyed. Result: Cyclist thinks BMW drivers are out to kill him and BMW driver thinks
    cyclists are annoying turds out to scratch their shiny new car. Both attitudes arising from the same
    lack of care on either side.

    Perhaps the word "unjustifiable" was a poor choice. I do think, though, that the behaviour of
    cyclists "in general" is no more to be commended than that of motorisits "in general", and that's
    why I think it's "unjustifiable". Perhaps I should have chosen a different word, perhaps
    "unsanctionable"?

    Of course there are extreme positions on either side of the debate, Paul [censored] for example, and
    red light jumping pavement cyclists on the other. PS, though, is a stupid, dangerous tosspot who
    should be flogged to within an inch of his life before being locked in the deepest, darkest dungeon,
    and red-light jumping pavement cyclists should be flogged to within an inch of their lives before
    being locked in the deepest darkest dungeon.

    Trev

  6. Trevor Barton said:

    I do it by second nature, really,

    Me too, Trevor

    Politeness doesn't hurt, IMO.

    James

    --
    "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

  7. Pete Barrett said:
    (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) said:

    But I wouldn't describe assertive cycling as being aggressive. Riding assertively is
    riding safely.

    I ride assertively. You ride aggressively. He (she or it) rides like a complete w*nker.

    Isn't that the normal conjugation of the verb? <s>

    And, not unrelatedly, one of the Honda adverts, which finishes "aren't we all just trying to get
    somewhere"?

  8. you know? said:

    Seen the TRL report posted earlier?

    trl.co.ukTRL549.pdf

    Those graphs roughly two thirds through the report are quite interseting. They seem to suggest that
    a cyclist, riding confidently near the kerb, is treated most kindly by motorists. I would have
    preferred cyclists riding in an assertive manner to be treated more kindly, but so be it.

    I also found it curious that "commercial drivers" or whatever the phrase used was are the most
    anti-cyclist when they are, IME and that of others in this NG, AFAIK, think that HGVers, and the
    like, are some of the better drivers around.

    James

    --
    "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

  9. Trevor Barton wrote:
    ! I do it by second

    Quoted message said:

    nature, really, my mother trained me as a teenager by just stopping in front of doors and looking
    at me expectantly until I remembered :-)

    ar you my brother?

    pk

  10. Trevor Barton said:

    I do it by second nature, really,

    Me too, Trevor

    Politeness doesn't hurt, IMO.

    James

    --
    "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

  11. Just zis Guy said:

    "Trevor Barton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    IMHO there is an unjustifiable "us and them" attitude in this group and it's (probably) similar
    in uk.tosspot

    Seen the TRL report posted earlier?

    trl.co.ukTRL549.pdf

    The attitude exists for real on the roads.

    I've not read the report but will fetch it next time my link is up.

    However, I'm well aware that there is an attitude but I don't think it's one that is confined to
    motorists towards cyclists, it's also there towards motorists from cyclists. It is very true,
    though, that the motorist is at an advantage in this ongoing hostility - they are after all in their
    ton of steel and pretty well invulnerable to anything the cyclist can throw at them, a few
    handsignals from behind the handlebars hardly contains the same degree of implicit threat as those
    coming from behind the wheel, and a close undertake on the left by a cyclist hardly endangers a
    motorist to the point where he's going to tell all his mates how he was nearly killed by a passing
    bike on the way into work this morning.

    This imbalance alters our perspective of things, though. Many cyclists feel that they are being
    targeted agressively by motorists because of the imbalance of risk. If a BMW passes you with 6" to
    spare, you're going to feel pretty scared. If you pass a BMW with 6" to spare, the driver's going to
    feel pretty annoyed. Result: Cyclist thinks BMW drivers are out to kill him and BMW driver thinks
    cyclists are annoying turds out to scratch their shiny new car. Both attitudes arising from the same
    lack of care on either side.

    Perhaps the word "unjustifiable" was a poor choice. I do think, though, that the behaviour of
    cyclists "in general" is no more to be commended than that of motorisits "in general", and that's
    why I think it's "unjustifiable". Perhaps I should have chosen a different word, perhaps
    "unsanctionable"?

    Of course there are extreme positions on either side of the debate, Paul [censored] for example, and
    red light jumping pavement cyclists on the other. PS, though, is a stupid, dangerous tosspot who
    should be flogged to within an inch of his life before being locked in the deepest, darkest dungeon,
    and red-light jumping pavement cyclists should be flogged to within an inch of their lives before
    being locked in the deepest darkest dungeon.

    Trev

  12. Trevor Barton wrote:
    ! I do it by second

    Quoted message said:

    nature, really, my mother trained me as a teenager by just stopping in front of doors and looking
    at me expectantly until I remembered :-)

    ar you my brother?

    pk

  13. Pete Barrett said:
    (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) said:

    But I wouldn't describe assertive cycling as being aggressive. Riding assertively is
    riding safely.

    I ride assertively. You ride aggressively. He (she or it) rides like a complete w*nker.

    Isn't that the normal conjugation of the verb? <s>

    And, not unrelatedly, one of the Honda adverts, which finishes "aren't we all just trying to get
    somewhere"?

  14. Trevor Barton said:

    I do it by second nature, really,

    Me too, Trevor

    Politeness doesn't hurt, IMO.

    James

    --
    "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

  15. chris harrison said:

    It's a small gene pool 🙁

    Gene puddle?

    I'll get me coat...

    --
    Guy
    ===
    WARNING: May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    chapmancentral.demon.co.ukchapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  16. Trevor Barton wrote:
    ! I do it by second

    Quoted message said:

    nature, really, my mother trained me as a teenager by just stopping in front of doors and looking
    at me expectantly until I remembered :-)

    ar you my brother?

    pk

  17. chris harrison said:

    It's a small gene pool 🙁

    Gene puddle?

    I'll get me coat...

    --
    Guy
    ===
    WARNING: May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    chapmancentral.demon.co.ukchapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  18. chris harrison said:

    It's a small gene pool 🙁

    Gene puddle?

    I'll get me coat...

    --
    Guy
    ===
    WARNING: May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    chapmancentral.demon.co.ukchapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  19. Richard Goodman said:

    "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Mark Thompson" <[email hidden] (change warm for


    hot)>typed

    Quoted message said:

    If you wheel your bike past a red light, you *are* breaking the law...

    Weell, it depends how you do it. If you get off before the stop line, lift it onto the pavement,
    pass the stop line on the pavement, put it back on the road after passing the stop line and then
    cross as a pedestrian you're not.

    I always understood you had to pick your bike up too or you would still be in charge of a vehicle,
    instead of carrying a heap of bike bits. I've heard it so many times its perhaps a myth.

    John B

  20. Michael MacClancy said:

    "Vincent Wilcox" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Trevor Barton wrote:

    <extreme snipping>

    Quoted message said:

    Motorists don't deliberately target cyclists, irrespective

    of the stories that are often told here - those same stupid

    Quoted message said:

    motorists who star in anecdotes in here will be acting just as

    aggressively towards all other road users.

    Quoted message said:

    Don't believe it.

    Is that a command or a statement?

    Anyway if you honestly believe that "those same stupid motorists who star in anecdotes in here
    will be acting just as aggressively towards all other road users" is untrue you must be so
    paranoid that a visit to the quack is in order.
    ___
    Michael MacClancy

    Do you honestly believe that "those same stupid motorists who star in anecdotes here" would behave
    in that manner to say a chapter of Hells Angels or an armoured vehicle?

    I would tend towards paranoia as being healthier on the road than optimism. "Oohh maybe this car
    pulling close to me want's to congratulate me for cycling and say hello."

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.