UK and Europe · Public discussion

Espirit de corps

Started by Chris Harrison · · Last activity · 280 posts · 9,738 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
6 December 2003
Last activity
12 December 2003
Original author
Chris Harrison
Posts
280
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
9,738
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 121–140 of 280
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Richard Goodman said:

    "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Mark Thompson" <[email hidden] (change warm for


    hot)>typed

    Quoted message said:

    If you wheel your bike past a red light, you *are* breaking the law...

    Weell, it depends how you do it. If you get off before the stop line, lift it onto the pavement,
    pass the stop line on the pavement, put it back on the road after passing the stop line and then
    cross as a pedestrian you're not.

    I always understood you had to pick your bike up too or you would still be in charge of a vehicle,
    instead of carrying a heap of bike bits. I've heard it so many times its perhaps a myth.

    John B

  2. Michael MacClancy said:

    "Vincent Wilcox" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Trevor Barton wrote:

    <extreme snipping>

    Quoted message said:

    Motorists don't deliberately target cyclists, irrespective

    of the stories that are often told here - those same stupid

    Quoted message said:

    motorists who star in anecdotes in here will be acting just as

    aggressively towards all other road users.

    Quoted message said:

    Don't believe it.

    Is that a command or a statement?

    Anyway if you honestly believe that "those same stupid motorists who star in anecdotes in here
    will be acting just as aggressively towards all other road users" is untrue you must be so
    paranoid that a visit to the quack is in order.
    ___
    Michael MacClancy

    Do you honestly believe that "those same stupid motorists who star in anecdotes here" would behave
    in that manner to say a chapter of Hells Angels or an armoured vehicle?

    I would tend towards paranoia as being healthier on the road than optimism. "Oohh maybe this car
    pulling close to me want's to congratulate me for cycling and say hello."

  3. Tony Raven said:
    Clive George said:


    If you're used to doing this like I am in sunny Yorkshire, then carry on doing so in Cambridge
    when down for a visit, you get roundly ignored...

    Never quite understand this. I never wave to all the other drivers when I'm driving, not even
    drivers of the same make of car as I'm driving

    When we had a Triumph Spitfire 10 years or so ago we used to exchange waves with other Spitfire and
    GT6 drivers. Even Herald and Vitesse drivers would wave or nod. The occasional Stag driver would
    acknowledge us but none of the various TR drivers would.

    Colin
    --

  4. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Clive George said:


    If you're used to doing this like I am in sunny Yorkshire, then carry on doing so in Cambridge
    when down for a visit, you get roundly ignored...

    Never quite understand this. I never wave to all the other drivers when


    I'm

    Quoted message said:

    driving, not even drivers of the same make of car as I'm driving (although


    I

    Quoted message said:

    can remember by Dad doing so when I was young and the RAC man always used


    to

    Quoted message said:

    salute then). I never wave to all the other pedestrians when I'm walking.


    So

    Quoted message said:

    why would I wave to all the other bike riders when I'm cycling?

    Coz we're nice friendly people round here.

    I say hello to other walkers out on the hills too when it isn't busy.

    (I think it's the frequency of encounters which determines the behaviour - which puts waving to
    drivers out. And they can't see you anyway.)

    cheers, clive

  5. Tony Raven said:
    Clive George said:


    If you're used to doing this like I am in sunny Yorkshire, then carry on doing so in Cambridge
    when down for a visit, you get roundly ignored...

    Never quite understand this. I never wave to all the other drivers when I'm driving, not even
    drivers of the same make of car as I'm driving

    When we had a Triumph Spitfire 10 years or so ago we used to exchange waves with other Spitfire and
    GT6 drivers. Even Herald and Vitesse drivers would wave or nod. The occasional Stag driver would
    acknowledge us but none of the various TR drivers would.

    Colin
    --

  6. Richard Goodman said:

    "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Mark Thompson" <[email hidden] (change warm for


    hot)>typed

    Quoted message said:

    If you wheel your bike past a red light, you *are* breaking the law...

    Weell, it depends how you do it. If you get off before the stop line, lift it onto the pavement,
    pass the stop line on the pavement, put it back on the road after passing the stop line and then
    cross as a pedestrian you're not.

    I always understood you had to pick your bike up too or you would still be in charge of a vehicle,
    instead of carrying a heap of bike bits. I've heard it so many times its perhaps a myth.

    John B

  7. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Clive George said:


    If you're used to doing this like I am in sunny Yorkshire, then carry on doing so in Cambridge
    when down for a visit, you get roundly ignored...

    Never quite understand this. I never wave to all the other drivers when


    I'm

    Quoted message said:

    driving, not even drivers of the same make of car as I'm driving (although


    I

    Quoted message said:

    can remember by Dad doing so when I was young and the RAC man always used


    to

    Quoted message said:

    salute then). I never wave to all the other pedestrians when I'm walking.


    So

    Quoted message said:

    why would I wave to all the other bike riders when I'm cycling?

    Coz we're nice friendly people round here.

    I say hello to other walkers out on the hills too when it isn't busy.

    (I think it's the frequency of encounters which determines the behaviour - which puts waving to
    drivers out. And they can't see you anyway.)

    cheers, clive

  8. Michael MacClancy said:

    "Vincent Wilcox" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Trevor Barton wrote:

    <extreme snipping>

    Quoted message said:

    Motorists don't deliberately target cyclists, irrespective

    of the stories that are often told here - those same stupid

    Quoted message said:

    motorists who star in anecdotes in here will be acting just as

    aggressively towards all other road users.

    Quoted message said:

    Don't believe it.

    Is that a command or a statement?

    Anyway if you honestly believe that "those same stupid motorists who star in anecdotes in here
    will be acting just as aggressively towards all other road users" is untrue you must be so
    paranoid that a visit to the quack is in order.
    ___
    Michael MacClancy

    Do you honestly believe that "those same stupid motorists who star in anecdotes here" would behave
    in that manner to say a chapter of Hells Angels or an armoured vehicle?

    I would tend towards paranoia as being healthier on the road than optimism. "Oohh maybe this car
    pulling close to me want's to congratulate me for cycling and say hello."

  9. "Michael MacClancy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway if you honestly believe that "those same stupid motorists who star


    in

    Quoted message said:

    anecdotes in here will be acting just as aggressively towards all other


    road

    Quoted message said:

    users" is untrue you must be so paranoid that a visit to the quack is in order.

    Nice little highlight from TRL549, on drivers' attitutes to cyclists:

    - Vulnerable – perceived greater potential for involvement and then injury or death from traffic
    accidents;
    - Irresponsible – due to an absence of training or formal commitment to lawful behaviour;
    - Despised – cycling should be provided for through separate facilities and not allowed on roads;
    - Dangerous – cyclists pose risks to themselves and other road users; Erratic/Unpredictable – for
    example: weaving in and out of traffic, not signalling intentions, etc.;
    - Arrogant – it was felt that cyclists seemed to believe they were invincible or that other road
    users were responsible for their safety; and
    - Inconvenient – basic characteristics of cycling were perceived as fundamentally different and
    delaying to motorised road use.

    I particularly enjoyed the one where drivers, who cause 90% of all road fatalities, accuse us of
    being dangerous to other road users.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
    chapmancentral.demon.co.ukchapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  10. Tony Raven said:


    Never quite understand this. I never wave to all the other drivers when I'm driving, not even
    drivers of the same make of car as I'm driving (although I can remember by Dad doing so when I was
    young and the RAC man always used to salute then). I never wave to all the other pedestrians when
    I'm walking. So why would I wave to all the other bike riders when I'm cycling?

    I quite often find myself saluting drivers. Like so:
    shakti.trincoll.edusecret.html

  11. Tony Raven said:
    Clive George said:


    If you're used to doing this like I am in sunny Yorkshire, then carry on doing so in Cambridge
    when down for a visit, you get roundly ignored...

    Never quite understand this. I never wave to all the other drivers when I'm driving, not even
    drivers of the same make of car as I'm driving

    When we had a Triumph Spitfire 10 years or so ago we used to exchange waves with other Spitfire and
    GT6 drivers. Even Herald and Vitesse drivers would wave or nod. The occasional Stag driver would
    acknowledge us but none of the various TR drivers would.

    Colin
    --

  12. "Michael MacClancy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway if you honestly believe that "those same stupid motorists who star


    in

    Quoted message said:

    anecdotes in here will be acting just as aggressively towards all other


    road

    Quoted message said:

    users" is untrue you must be so paranoid that a visit to the quack is in order.

    Nice little highlight from TRL549, on drivers' attitutes to cyclists:

    - Vulnerable – perceived greater potential for involvement and then injury or death from traffic
    accidents;
    - Irresponsible – due to an absence of training or formal commitment to lawful behaviour;
    - Despised – cycling should be provided for through separate facilities and not allowed on roads;
    - Dangerous – cyclists pose risks to themselves and other road users; Erratic/Unpredictable – for
    example: weaving in and out of traffic, not signalling intentions, etc.;
    - Arrogant – it was felt that cyclists seemed to believe they were invincible or that other road
    users were responsible for their safety; and
    - Inconvenient – basic characteristics of cycling were perceived as fundamentally different and
    delaying to motorised road use.

    I particularly enjoyed the one where drivers, who cause 90% of all road fatalities, accuse us of
    being dangerous to other road users.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
    chapmancentral.demon.co.ukchapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  13. On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 10:31:30 -0000 someone who may be "Michael MacClancy"
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Motorists don't deliberately target cyclists, irrespective of the stories that are often
    told here

    news.bbc.co.uk2725329.stm

    That's one of the most blatant distorting snips I've ever seen.

    Incorrect.

    It is entirely accurate and there is not the slightest distortion of what was written.

    Quoted message said:

    What the OP actually wrote was:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Motorists don't deliberately target cyclists, irrespective of the stories that are often told here
    - those same stupid motorists who star in anecdotes in here will be acting just as aggressively


    towards all other road users.

    Which adds nothing to the bit which I quoted and to which I was responding.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
    keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  14. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Clive George said:


    If you're used to doing this like I am in sunny Yorkshire, then carry on doing so in Cambridge
    when down for a visit, you get roundly ignored...

    Never quite understand this. I never wave to all the other drivers when


    I'm

    Quoted message said:

    driving, not even drivers of the same make of car as I'm driving (although


    I

    Quoted message said:

    can remember by Dad doing so when I was young and the RAC man always used


    to

    Quoted message said:

    salute then). I never wave to all the other pedestrians when I'm walking.


    So

    Quoted message said:

    why would I wave to all the other bike riders when I'm cycling?

    Coz we're nice friendly people round here.

    I say hello to other walkers out on the hills too when it isn't busy.

    (I think it's the frequency of encounters which determines the behaviour - which puts waving to
    drivers out. And they can't see you anyway.)

    cheers, clive

  15. Tony Raven said:


    Never quite understand this. I never wave to all the other drivers when I'm driving, not even
    drivers of the same make of car as I'm driving (although I can remember by Dad doing so when I was
    young and the RAC man always used to salute then). I never wave to all the other pedestrians when
    I'm walking. So why would I wave to all the other bike riders when I'm cycling?

    I quite often find myself saluting drivers. Like so:
    shakti.trincoll.edusecret.html

  16. On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 10:31:30 -0000 someone who may be "Michael MacClancy"
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Motorists don't deliberately target cyclists, irrespective of the stories that are often
    told here

    news.bbc.co.uk2725329.stm

    That's one of the most blatant distorting snips I've ever seen.

    Incorrect.

    It is entirely accurate and there is not the slightest distortion of what was written.

    Quoted message said:

    What the OP actually wrote was:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Motorists don't deliberately target cyclists, irrespective of the stories that are often told here
    - those same stupid motorists who star in anecdotes in here will be acting just as aggressively


    towards all other road users.

    Which adds nothing to the bit which I quoted and to which I was responding.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
    keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  17. James Hodson said:

    I also found it curious that "commercial drivers" or whatever the phrase used was are the most
    anti-cyclist when they are, IME and that of others in this NG, AFAIK, think that HGVers, and the
    like, are some of the better drivers around.

    With the exception of bus drivers, who seem to need badly to be killed.

    --

    Dave Larrington - legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uklegslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    bhpc.org.ukbhpc.org.uk
    ===========================================================

  18. "PK" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just as the attitude of cyclists ignoring pelican crossings, and


    pedestrians

    Quoted message said:

    crossing on traffic lights exists for real on the roads. And cyclists


    acting

    Quoted message said:

    aggressively and dangerously to other cyclists and walkers exists off


    road.

    And where did I say it didn't? On the other hand, you are two hundred times more likely to be killed
    on the pavement by a car than a bicycle, so maybe the problem isn't as big as you make out.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
    chapmancentral.demon.co.ukchapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  19. "Michael MacClancy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway if you honestly believe that "those same stupid motorists who star


    in

    Quoted message said:

    anecdotes in here will be acting just as aggressively towards all other


    road

    Quoted message said:

    users" is untrue you must be so paranoid that a visit to the quack is in order.

    Nice little highlight from TRL549, on drivers' attitutes to cyclists:

    - Vulnerable – perceived greater potential for involvement and then injury or death from traffic
    accidents;
    - Irresponsible – due to an absence of training or formal commitment to lawful behaviour;
    - Despised – cycling should be provided for through separate facilities and not allowed on roads;
    - Dangerous – cyclists pose risks to themselves and other road users; Erratic/Unpredictable – for
    example: weaving in and out of traffic, not signalling intentions, etc.;
    - Arrogant – it was felt that cyclists seemed to believe they were invincible or that other road
    users were responsible for their safety; and
    - Inconvenient – basic characteristics of cycling were perceived as fundamentally different and
    delaying to motorised road use.

    I particularly enjoyed the one where drivers, who cause 90% of all road fatalities, accuse us of
    being dangerous to other road users.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
    chapmancentral.demon.co.ukchapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  20. James Hodson said:

    I also found it curious that "commercial drivers" or whatever the phrase used was are the most
    anti-cyclist when they are, IME and that of others in this NG, AFAIK, think that HGVers, and the
    like, are some of the better drivers around.

    With the exception of bus drivers, who seem to need badly to be killed.

    --

    Dave Larrington - legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uklegslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    bhpc.org.ukbhpc.org.uk
    ===========================================================

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.