ESPN reads rbr

B. Lafferty wrote:
> Strychnine, up to a point (death), tones tired muscles.

Death, the ultimate toner.

"Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> B. Lafferty wrote:
>> Strychnine, up to a point (death), tones tired muscles.

> Death, the ultimate toner.

Yeah, if laff@me actually believes it let's see him try it. Tones muscles
indeed!

"Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> B. Lafferty wrote:
>>> Strychnine, up to a point (death), tones tired muscles.

>> Death, the ultimate toner.

> Yeah, if laff@me actually believes it let's see him try it. Tones muscles
> indeed!

If you've read Woodland's book on doping in cycling or any histories of six
day racing in the 19th and early 20th centuries, you know that it was quite
common to use strychnine to perk up the central nervous system and put a bit
of tension back into tired muscles.

"The history of modern doping begins with the cycling craze of the 1890s.
Here, for example, is a description of what went on during the six-day races
that lasted from Monday morning to Saturday night: " The riders' black
coffee was "boosted" with extra caffeine and peppermint, and as the race
progressed the mixture was spiked with increasing doses of cocaine and
strychnine. Brandy was also frequently added to cups of tea. Following the
sprint sequences of the race, nitroglycerine capsules were often given to
the cyclists to ease breathing difficulties. The individual 6-day races were
eventually replaced by two-man races, but the doping continued unabated.
Since drugs such as heroin or cocaine were widely taken in these tournaments
without supervision, it was perhaps likely that fatalities would occur." (4)
It is, therefore, not surprising that when the pioneering French sports
physician Philippe Tissié performed the first scientific doping experiments
in 1894, his test subject was a racing cyclist whose performances could be
timed and who could be primed with measured doses of alcohol or any other
potential stimulant. (5)"

http://www.mesomorphosis.com/articles/hoberman/tour-de-france-doping-scandal.htm

See also:
http://www.medicineweekly.ie/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=4471

> "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Death, the ultimate toner.

>> Yeah, if laff@me actually believes it let's see him try it. Tones muscles
>> indeed!

> If you've read Woodland's book on doping in cycling or any histories of
> six day racing in the 19th and early 20th centuries, you know that it was
> quite common to use strychnine to perk up the central nervous system and
> put a bit of tension back into tired muscles.
>
> "The history of modern doping begins with the cycling craze of the 1890s.
> Here, for example, is a description of what went on during the six-day
> races that lasted from Monday morning to Saturday night: " The riders'
> black coffee was "boosted" with extra caffeine and peppermint, and as the
> race progressed the mixture was spiked with increasing doses of cocaine
> and strychnine. Brandy was also frequently added to cups of tea. Following
> the sprint sequences of the race, nitroglycerine capsules were often given
> to the cyclists to ease breathing difficulties. The individual 6-day races
> were eventually replaced by two-man races, but the doping continued
> unabated. Since drugs such as heroin or cocaine were widely taken in these
> tournaments without supervision, it was perhaps likely that fatalities
> would occur." (4) It is, therefore, not surprising that when the
> pioneering French sports physician Philippe Tissié performed the first
> scientific doping experiments in 1894, his test subject was a racing
> cyclist whose performances could be timed and who could be primed with
> measured doses of alcohol or any other potential stimulant. (5)"

Cyclists have always used doping. Soon after Paris-Rouen in 1869, the first
road race ever, there was an open discussion in the press as to which
substances had been the most effective in enhancing the performance of the
participants.

Benjo

"benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> "Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Yeah, if laff@me actually believes it let's see him try it. Tones
>>> muscles indeed!

>> If you've read Woodland's book on doping in cycling or any histories of
>> six day racing in the 19th and early 20th centuries, you know that it was
>> quite common to use strychnine to perk up the central nervous system and
>> put a bit of tension back into tired muscles.
>>
>> "The history of modern doping begins with the cycling craze of the 1890s.
>> Here, for example, is a description of what went on during the six-day
>> races that lasted from Monday morning to Saturday night: " The riders'
>> black coffee was "boosted" with extra caffeine and peppermint, and as the
>> race progressed the mixture was spiked with increasing doses of cocaine
>> and strychnine. Brandy was also frequently added to cups of tea.
>> Following the sprint sequences of the race, nitroglycerine capsules were
>> often given to the cyclists to ease breathing difficulties. The
>> individual 6-day races were eventually replaced by two-man races, but the
>> doping continued unabated. Since drugs such as heroin or cocaine were
>> widely taken in these tournaments without supervision, it was perhaps
>> likely that fatalities would occur." (4) It is, therefore, not surprising
>> that when the pioneering French sports physician Philippe Tissié
>> performed the first scientific doping experiments in 1894, his test
>> subject was a racing cyclist whose performances could be timed and who
>> could be primed with measured doses of alcohol or any other potential
>> stimulant. (5)"
>>

> Cyclists have always used doping. Soon after Paris-Rouen in 1869, the
> first road race ever, there was an open discussion in the press as to
> which substances had been the most effective in enhancing the performance
> of the participants.
>
> Benjo

Interesting. What did they conclude?

benjo maso wrote:

<snip>
> Cyclists have always used doping. Soon after Paris-Rouen in 1869, the
> first road race ever, there was an open discussion in the press as to
> which substances had been the most effective in enhancing the
> performance of the participants.

Of those discussions, the one by Benoit Lafferyaette is the most memorable.

There can be only one.

--
Bill Asher

> "benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> If you've read Woodland's book on doping in cycling or any histories of
>>> six day racing in the 19th and early 20th centuries, you know that it
>>> was quite common to use strychnine to perk up the central nervous system
>>> and put a bit of tension back into tired muscles.
>>>
>>> "The history of modern doping begins with the cycling craze of the
>>> 1890s. Here, for example, is a description of what went on during the
>>> six-day races that lasted from Monday morning to Saturday night: " The
>>> riders' black coffee was "boosted" with extra caffeine and peppermint,
>>> and as the race progressed the mixture was spiked with increasing doses
>>> of cocaine and strychnine. Brandy was also frequently added to cups of
>>> tea. Following the sprint sequences of the race, nitroglycerine capsules
>>> were often given to the cyclists to ease breathing difficulties. The
>>> individual 6-day races were eventually replaced by two-man races, but
>>> the doping continued unabated. Since drugs such as heroin or cocaine
>>> were widely taken in these tournaments without supervision, it was
>>> perhaps likely that fatalities would occur." (4) It is, therefore, not
>>> surprising that when the pioneering French sports physician Philippe
>>> Tissié performed the first scientific doping experiments in 1894, his
>>> test subject was a racing cyclist whose performances could be timed and
>>> who could be primed with measured doses of alcohol or any other
>>> potential stimulant. (5)"
>>>

>> Cyclists have always used doping. Soon after Paris-Rouen in 1869, the
>> first road race ever, there was an open discussion in the press as to
>> which substances had been the most effective in enhancing the performance
>> of the participants.
>>
>> Benjo

> Interesting. What did they conclude?

Nothing special. But a few years later some journals were already publishing
advertisements in which well-known cylists were recommending pills, tablets,
etc. which were supposted to enhance their performances. I have no idea
about the ingredients.

Benjo

"William Asher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> benjo maso wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> Cyclists have always used doping. Soon after Paris-Rouen in 1869, the
>> first road race ever, there was an open discussion in the press as to
>> which substances had been the most effective in enhancing the
>> performance of the participants.
>>

> Of those discussions, the one by Benoit Lafferyaette is the most
> memorable.
>
> There can be only one.
>
> --
> Bill Asher

True. My great great grandfather Benoit was quite a character.

B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Death, the ultimate toner.

>> Yeah, if laff@me actually believes it let's see him try it. Tones muscles
>> indeed!

> If you've read Woodland's book on doping in cycling or any histories of
> six day racing in the 19th and early 20th centuries, you know that it was
> quite common to use strychnine to perk up the central nervous system and
> put a bit of tension back into tired muscles.
>
> "The history of modern doping begins with the cycling craze of the 1890s.
> Here, for example, is a description of what went on during the six-day
> races that lasted from Monday morning to Saturday night: " The riders'
> black coffee was "boosted" with extra caffeine and peppermint, and as the
> race progressed the mixture was spiked with increasing doses of cocaine
> and strychnine. Brandy was also frequently added to cups of tea. Following
> the sprint sequences of the race, nitroglycerine capsules were often given
> to the cyclists to ease breathing difficulties. The individual 6-day races
> were eventually replaced by two-man races, but the doping continued
> unabated. Since drugs such as heroin or cocaine were widely taken in these
> tournaments without supervision, it was perhaps likely that fatalities
> would occur." (4) It is, therefore, not surprising that when the
> pioneering French sports physician Philippe Tissié performed the first
> scientific doping experiments in 1894, his test subject was a racing
> cyclist whose performances could be timed and who could be primed with
> measured doses of alcohol or any other potential stimulant. (5)"

Everyone else get that? Peppermint is the THING! Those who use peppermint
know a bit more about doping than you or I.

Does anyone else remember that the REASON that they ended the caffeine
limits was because actual laboratory research showed that the smallest
amounts of caffeine were all that was necessary to max out the caffeine
effect? And that "extra caffeine" has no other effect other than to stress
the central nervous system, the kidneys and bladder.

laff@me is a lawyer and knows what heresay evidence is and yet seems
incapable of using nothing else.