Falcon Air Horns

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Joshua Goldberg, Feb 3, 2003.

  1. Since I keep getting asked. http://www.falconsafety.com You click on "Marine Signal Horns", the
    model with the Blue Trumphet works best in a Water Bottle cage. On the Falcon site the price is the
    MSRP. Most On-line retailers sell the whole unit for $11.00 usd.

    I have also used my Falcon once as a weapon and it worked very well. Two punks started bothering me
    when I was stopped at a red light and one tried to rip off my brake cable. I warned him to back off
    and when he did not. I held the Falcon to his face and let her rip. Both walked away swearingr, but
    the punk who got it in his face hit the ground holding his ears, then stood up and staggered off and
    appeared very disorientated.

    Tags:

  2. Bob Outwait

    Bob Outwait Guest

    They are also very effective on dogs.

  3. Crispy

    Crispy Guest

    > They are also very effective on dogs.

    I concur with Joshua. Point that baby directly at anything with ears and watch them jump. Quite
    effective against motorist suffering from cellphoneitis.

    They should be a mandatory accessory for any cyclist who wears lederhosen also. Help save lives.
    Prevent death by laughter.

    crispy

  4. Hello All,

    This air horn looks quite similar to the red air horn at Wal-mart.

    Is there any difference in volume or quality?

    ---
    Thank you very much,

    Father Time

    :
    :
    :

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    to Father Time wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > This air horn looks quite similar to the red air horn at Wal-mart.
    >
    > Is there any difference in volume or quality?

    I suggest trying out the horn in the store. ;)

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer, Sidewalker Micro, Trek 6000

  6. Crispy

    Crispy Guest

    Near me there is a stretch of bike trail that has become developed with opulent houses on very small
    lots. Questionable zoning practices have these units quite close together and all a mere 30 ft from
    the trail on either side. Once construction finished signs were erected along the trail stating "No
    loud noises after 8pm". I thought the signs to be a bit audacious.

    On my weeknight rides my return leg often passes through this area and well after dark. Ironically
    it is along this stretch that I always remember to perform my bi-weekly (or there abouts) air horn
    preventive maintenance. This PM consists of a quick blast just to ensure that no foreign debris has
    lodged inside the cone that could potentially degrade functionality. Then get the hell out of Dodge.

    I've been maintaining this PM schedule now for a couple of years and I still laugh so hard it brings
    tears to my eyes.

    crispy

  7. I could see every neighbor standing in front of their house with a rifle waiting in the darknes for
    you and as you ride down the trail they open fire. Each neighbor killing the person directly across
    the street after missing your speedy low-ness. Next morning 15 people on each side of the street are
    laying dead in their driveway.

    "crispy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Near me there is a stretch of bike trail that has become developed with opulent houses on very
    > small lots. Questionable zoning practices have these units quite close together and all a mere 30
    > ft from the trail on either side. Once construction finished signs were erected along the trail
    > stating "No loud noises after 8pm". I thought the signs to be a bit audacious.
    >
    > On my weeknight rides my return leg often passes through this area and well after dark.
    > Ironically it is along this stretch that I always remember to perform my bi-weekly (or there
    > abouts) air horn preventive maintenance. This PM consists of a quick blast just to ensure that no
    > foreign debris has lodged inside the cone that could potentially degrade functionality. Then get
    > the hell out of Dodge.
    >
    > I've been maintaining this PM schedule now for a couple of years and I still laugh so hard it
    > brings tears to my eyes.
    >
    > crispy

  8. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    [email protected] (crispy) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Near me there is a stretch of bike trail that has become developed with opulent houses on very
    > small lots. Questionable zoning practices have these units quite close together and all a mere 30
    > ft from the trail on either side. Once construction finished signs were erected along the trail
    > stating "No loud noises after 8pm". I thought the signs to be a bit audacious.
    >
    > On my weeknight rides my return leg often passes through this area and well after dark.
    > Ironically it is along this stretch that I always remember to perform my bi-weekly (or there
    > abouts) air horn preventive maintenance. This PM consists of a quick blast just to ensure that no
    > foreign debris has lodged inside the cone that could potentially degrade functionality. Then get
    > the hell out of Dodge.
    >
    > I've been maintaining this PM schedule now for a couple of years and I still laugh so hard it
    > brings tears to my eyes.

    I used to live in a house on a small side street in the inner city at the corner with a stop sign.
    For some reason, nearly every night, idiots on their loud motorcycles would "park" for a time at the
    stop sign and rev. Or better yet, people liked to get in loud arguments on the sidewalk just below
    my bedroom window. Your karma for your intentional acts of malevolence has already caught up with
    you. It is quite popular to dislike and taunt people who are better off than you, until someone who
    is not as well off as you does the same(~:

  9. Crispy

    Crispy Guest

    > Your karma for your intentional acts of malevolence has already caught up with you. It is quite
    > popular to dislike and taunt people who are better off than you, until someone who is not as well
    > off as you does the same(~:

    Yes of course. But then I own a Ford Excursion.

    Interesting. Upon review, nowhere did I state that they were better off than myself. I merely
    described the houses as opulent. Does "small lot size" imply that they are poor?

    My point was that once the trail became restricted by these structures, the owners of the structures
    tried to restrict the use of the trail by others.

  10. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    [email protected] (crispy) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    >> Your karma for your intentional acts of malevolence has already caught up with you. It is quite
    >> popular to dislike and taunt people who are better off than you, until someone who is not as well
    >> off as you does the same(~:
    >
    > Yes of course. But then I own a Ford Excursion.

    ????

    > Interesting. Upon review, nowhere did I state that they were better off than myself. I merely
    > described the houses as opulent. Does "small lot size" imply that they are poor?

    Not necessarily.

    > My point was that once the trail became restricted by these structures, the owners of the
    > structures tried to restrict the use of the trail by others.

    It is likely that the developer owned the land along where the trail is, long before the houses
    were built. A sign asking for quiet, before there was anyone around to hear it wouldn't have made
    much sense. My point is that being awakened every night, or having an infant awoke every night by
    the malicious and intentional acts of someone who "thinks it is funny" does only harm. And of
    course, your disrespect of others is only a sign of how you feel about yourself.

    Have a peaceful life.

  11. reminds me of a situation in Toronto a few years ago. A Highschool had an outdoor Basketball Court
    and ever since the court was built...not a single complaint. Then Luxury condos went up on 2 sides
    of the court and NOW the Police started showing up to hassle the kids who used the court for
    Basketball (after) school. The Condo owners did a Petition demanding the Highschool bulldoze the
    court and erect fences to keep kids...out of sight and out of hearing range...as the kids presense
    was claimed to be devaluating their condo resale value. The condo oners ALSO demanded a bike path be
    closed to....wait for it...closed to cyclists. Their point was the cyclists made too much noise as
    they rode passed their condo towers. All that gear shifting must have been dreadful to those on the
    18th floor...gag.

    I am not suggesting the condo owners are wrong or had a valid case and I do NOT see a link between
    wealth and really stupid demands, I do however object when I see a cycle path or a Basketball
    court...or in the case of "crispy" re: having an existing trail, get new rules attached to them by
    people who build new in the midst of what was there before.

    I would think having a public trail in existance WAS a big selling feature for those luxury homes,
    just like having a pond or a tree lined creek, close to good schools etc. Then those people turn
    around and demand laws be imposed to make (their) properties worth more by limiting public
    access....and because they pay higher taxes, their demands often are awarded by city councils.

    Would I let my Falcon rip in the dark just to pissoff these Luxury home dwellers?....probably not.
    The peace & quiet I seek when I trail ride is destroyed by my actions and will destroy the peace &
    quiet of other cyclists and home dwellers....no benefit here at all.
    -------------------------
    "crispy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Your karma for your intentional acts of malevolence has already caught
    up
    > > with you. It is quite popular to dislike and taunt people who are
    better
    > > off than you, until someone who is not as well off as you does the
    same(~:

    > Yes of course. But then I own a Ford Excursion.
    >
    > Interesting. Upon review, nowhere did I state that they were better off than myself. I merely
    > described the houses as opulent. Does "small lot size" imply that they are poor?
    >
    > My point was that once the trail became restricted by these structures, the owners of the
    > structures tried to restrict the use of the trail by others.

  12. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Would I let my Falcon rip in the dark just to pissoff these Luxury home dwellers?....probably not.
    > The peace & quiet I seek when I trail ride is destroyed by my actions and will destroy the peace &
    > quiet of other cyclists and home dwellers....no benefit here at all.

    And some people think you are unreasonable (~:

    I doubt that I would ever knowingly purchase a home near a basketball court, or adjacent to a bike
    trail. I value my quiet and privacy too much. I learned my lesson. Could be that nobody foresaw
    that noise on the trail would even be a problem for residents. Ask a realtor to show you houses
    with specific characteristics and you'll get my drift. I wonder how many times Crispy had to use
    that airhorn on the trail BEFORE the sign was erected? Probably zero. In which case, that rule did
    not in anyway impinge on Crispy's freedoms, and so don't take it as a personal attack. All that is
    happening now is a general erosion of people's quality of life. Crispy may have a hand in
    eventually closing the trail down completely, because the sign hasn't done the job of making
    things quieter. When people react in vengeful ways, they merely escalate the situation.

    In this area, people built houses in an agricultural zone, and then started to complain about the
    stench from a hog farm that had existed for years. I understand this from both sides.

  13. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    rorschandt wrote:
    > ...My point is that being awakened every night, or having an infant > awoke every night by the
    > malicious and intentional acts of someone who > "thinks it is funny" does only harm....

    When it comes to waking up others at night, I believe that infants give rather more than
    they receive.

    Tom Sherman - In a thin walled apartment building with a loud infant next door.