Farcility of the Month

Tony Raven <[email protected]>typed

> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> >
> > Well done! Haven't I seen that photo somewhere else, within living
> > memory?
> >

> You have. I originally posted it here with the link to the picture at
> http://cycling.raven-family.com/Salisbury Cyclepath.JPG

I've not lost *all* my marbles yet, then ;-)

(Some of my partner's pictures -taken on my camera and sent by me- have
made it as 'farcility of the month, too!)

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Which is surely more evidence to support my case from the "Times
> Letters" thread that tax payer's money is being wasted on facilities
> provided /exclusively/ for cyclists, which they don't want, and which
> they don't contribute specifically as cyclists for.
>
> --
> Matt B

Actually cyclists are in fact the biggest contributor to these facilities.
Every one of them comes out of the councils cycling budget which means that
there is no money left for the many other cycle friendly uses to which the
money can be put such as :-

Training children
Cycle audits
Speed enforcement

Because these do not have any money left over for them then councils
continue to plead that thaey cannot afford the things that cyclists really
need.

Such a facility as the one shown p[robably cost in the region of £5,000 to
£10,000 so it really is no laughing matter at all.

One of the best ways to campaign against these is through the councils
"Scrutiny committee" where the sheer lack of sense and wastefullness of such
facilities can be demonstrated.

Best regards

Rod King

Publicity Officer - Warrington Cycle Campaign

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 17:54:10 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
<[email protected]> said in
<[email protected]>:

>> I called my Congressman and he said "Whoa!
>> I'd like to help you, son, but you're too young to vote!"

>Cos there ain't no cure for the cycle lane blues.....

Time for a game of Blues Calypso!

Ah woke up this morning...

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

wafflycat wrote:
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Time for a game of Blues Calypso!
> >
> > Ah woke up this morning...
> >

> And I saw a Freight 8

Heading my way with some beer in a crate.

...d

David Martin wrote on Wednesday 04 January 2006 22:51:

> wafflycat wrote:
>> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> > Time for a game of Blues Calypso!
>> >
>> > Ah woke up this morning...
>> >

>> And I saw a Freight 8

> Heading my way with some beer in a crate.
>
> ..d

So I said "just a minute"

--
Regards
Alex

Chris Eilbeck wrote:
> Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> My photo of the end for cyclists in Salisbury has made farcility of
>> the month in Warrington :)
>>
>> http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month/January2006.htm
>>

> Where's the start?

It runs alongside the north side of the A36 coming into Salisbury from
Southampton and then continues right at the roundabout alongside the
dual carriageway going the wrong way coming to the end after about 50m.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=414935&Y=129435&A=Y&Z=1

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:

> Chris Eilbeck wrote:
>> Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> My photo of the end for cyclists in Salisbury has made farcility of
>>> the month in Warrington :)
>>> http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month/January2006.htm
>>>

>> Where's the start?

> It runs alongside the north side of the A36 coming into Salisbury
> from Southampton and then continues right at the roundabout
> alongside the dual carriageway going the wrong way coming to the end
> after about 50m.
> http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=414935&Y=129435&A=Y&Z=1

I just had the image in my mind that if the photographer turned round
it would say start about the same distance from them.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/

Chris Eilbeck wrote:

> I just had the image in my mind that if the photographer turned round
> it would say start about the same distance from them.
>
> Chris

Something like this one from Swindon?
http://cycling.raven-family.com/Swindon.jpg

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:

> Chris Eilbeck wrote:
>> I just had the image in my mind that if the photographer turned round
>> it would say start about the same distance from them.
>> Chris

> Something like this one from Swindon?
> http://cycling.raven-family.com/Swindon.jpg

There are two or three of those around here. I should take a few
pictures of the silliness on the one cycle farcility in Malvern.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/
UKRA #1108 Level 2 UYB
Tripoli UK Member #9527 LSMR

in message <[email protected]>, Alex Potter
('[email protected]') wrote:

> David Martin wrote on Wednesday 04 January 2006 22:51:
>

>> wafflycat wrote:
>>> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> And I saw a Freight 8

>> Heading my way with some beer in a crate.
>>

> So I said "just a minute"

"...won't you park that bike
it seems you got somethin' there that I like..."

;; For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth
;; knowledge increaseth sorrow.." - Ecclesiastes 1:18

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 23:14:31 GMT, Alex Potter
<[email protected]> wrote:

>David Martin wrote on Wednesday 04 January 2006 22:51:
>

>> wafflycat wrote:
>>> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> And I saw a Freight 8

>> Heading my way with some beer in a crate.
>>

>So I said "just a minute"

"I'll have some of that."

Rod King wrote:
> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Which is surely more evidence to support my case from the "Times
>>Letters" thread that tax payer's money is being wasted on facilities
>>provided /exclusively/ for cyclists, which they don't want, and which
>>they don't contribute specifically as cyclists for.

> Actually cyclists are in fact the biggest contributor to these facilities.
> Every one of them comes out of the councils cycling budget which means that
> there is no money left for the many other cycle friendly uses to which the
> money can be put such as :-

But where does the money come /from/? It certainly is not from cycling.

> Training children

Should be done at school as part of the national curriculum.

> Cycle audits

What are they and why do we need them?

> Speed enforcement

Of cyclists?

> Because these do not have any money left over for them then councils
> continue to plead that thaey cannot afford the things that cyclists really
> need.

Cyclists should pay a cycling levy towards such things perhaps?

> Such a facility as the one shown p[robably cost in the region of £5,000 to
> £10,000 so it really is no laughing matter at all.

It's a scandal.

> One of the best ways to campaign against these is through the councils
> "Scrutiny committee" where the sheer lack of sense and wastefullness of such
> facilities can be demonstrated.

Ah.

--
Matt B

The Troll "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> John B wrote:
> >
> > Please can you now supply a reference for these 'public consultations'

for the plans?

> Sorry, I can't, for reasons already described.

Does anyone else think that there could be another reason that TrollB does
not want his specific involvement in this matter to be a matter of common
knowlege?

"Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> It may compromise the position of a certain individual to say precisely,
> so if you don't mind I will refrain. Have you had such a fruitless
> experience?

That would be yourself, then?

John B wrote:

> i oppose use of taxpayer's money for unwanted, dangerous and ill-thought out
> schemes.

Where there's a target, someone will come up with a bodge to achieve
that target as easily and cheaply as possible (Zog's Law). It works in
private industry too - as an auditor, I came across a case where loan
applications known to be dead in the water weren't cancelled from the
system because "retail have asked us not to: it would affect the net
sales figures and it's the last month of their bonus period".
Amazingly, this edict had top-level management approval.