Farcility of the Month

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Peter Owens, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

  2. Tony Raven <[email protected]>typed

    > Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    > >
    > > Well done! Haven't I seen that photo somewhere else, within living
    > > memory?
    > >

    > You have. I originally posted it here with the link to the picture at
    > http://cycling.raven-family.com/Salisbury Cyclepath.JPG

    I've not lost *all* my marbles yet, then ;-)

    (Some of my partner's pictures -taken on my camera and sent by me- have
    made it as 'farcility of the month, too!)

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  3. Rod King

    Rod King Guest

    "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Which is surely more evidence to support my case from the "Times
    > Letters" thread that tax payer's money is being wasted on facilities
    > provided /exclusively/ for cyclists, which they don't want, and which
    > they don't contribute specifically as cyclists for.
    >
    > --
    > Matt B

    Actually cyclists are in fact the biggest contributor to these facilities.
    Every one of them comes out of the councils cycling budget which means that
    there is no money left for the many other cycle friendly uses to which the
    money can be put such as :-

    Training children
    Cycle audits
    Speed enforcement

    Because these do not have any money left over for them then councils
    continue to plead that thaey cannot afford the things that cyclists really
    need.

    Such a facility as the one shown p[robably cost in the region of £5,000 to
    £10,000 so it really is no laughing matter at all.

    One of the best ways to campaign against these is through the councils
    "Scrutiny committee" where the sheer lack of sense and wastefullness of such
    facilities can be demonstrated.

    Best regards

    Rod King

    Publicity Officer - Warrington Cycle Campaign

  4. On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:00:59 GMT, John B <[email protected]> said in
    <[email protected]>:

    >Take it up with the local Councillors and your MP.
    >You have, haven't you?

    I'm sure he used his best green ink :)

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  5. On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 17:54:10 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
    <[email protected]> said in
    <[email protected]>:

    >> I called my Congressman and he said "Whoa!
    >> I'd like to help you, son, but you're too young to vote!"

    >Cos there ain't no cure for the cycle lane blues.....

    Time for a game of Blues Calypso!

    Ah woke up this morning...

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  6. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    > Time for a game of Blues Calypso!
    >
    > Ah woke up this morning...

    And I saw a Freight 8

  7. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    wafflycat wrote:
    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > > Time for a game of Blues Calypso!
    > >
    > > Ah woke up this morning...
    > >

    > And I saw a Freight 8

    Heading my way with some beer in a crate.

    ...d

  8. Alex Potter

    Alex Potter Guest

    David Martin wrote on Wednesday 04 January 2006 22:51:

    > wafflycat wrote:
    >> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> > Time for a game of Blues Calypso!
    >> >
    >> > Ah woke up this morning...
    >> >

    >> And I saw a Freight 8

    > Heading my way with some beer in a crate.
    >
    > ..d

    So I said "just a minute"

    --
    Regards
    Alex

  9. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Chris Eilbeck wrote:
    > Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> My photo of the end for cyclists in Salisbury has made farcility of
    >> the month in Warrington :)
    >>
    >> http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month/January2006.htm
    >>

    > Where's the start?

    It runs alongside the north side of the A36 coming into Salisbury from
    Southampton and then continues right at the roundabout alongside the
    dual carriageway going the wrong way coming to the end after about 50m.
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=414935&Y=129435&A=Y&Z=1

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  10. Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:

    > Chris Eilbeck wrote:
    >> Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:
    >>
    >>> My photo of the end for cyclists in Salisbury has made farcility of
    >>> the month in Warrington :)
    >>> http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month/January2006.htm
    >>>

    >> Where's the start?

    > It runs alongside the north side of the A36 coming into Salisbury
    > from Southampton and then continues right at the roundabout
    > alongside the dual carriageway going the wrong way coming to the end
    > after about 50m.
    > http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=414935&Y=129435&A=Y&Z=1

    I just had the image in my mind that if the photographer turned round
    it would say start about the same distance from them.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck
    MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/

  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Chris Eilbeck wrote:

    > I just had the image in my mind that if the photographer turned round
    > it would say start about the same distance from them.
    >
    > Chris

    Something like this one from Swindon?
    http://cycling.raven-family.com/Swindon.jpg

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  12. Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:

    > Chris Eilbeck wrote:
    >> I just had the image in my mind that if the photographer turned round
    >> it would say start about the same distance from them.
    >> Chris

    > Something like this one from Swindon?
    > http://cycling.raven-family.com/Swindon.jpg

    There are two or three of those around here. I should take a few
    pictures of the silliness on the one cycle farcility in Malvern.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck
    MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/
    UKRA #1108 Level 2 UYB
    Tripoli UK Member #9527 LSMR

  13. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Alex Potter
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > David Martin wrote on Wednesday 04 January 2006 22:51:
    >

    >> wafflycat wrote:
    >>> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]

    >>> And I saw a Freight 8

    >> Heading my way with some beer in a crate.
    >>

    > So I said "just a minute"

    "...won't you park that bike
    it seems you got somethin' there that I like..."

    ;; For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth
    ;; knowledge increaseth sorrow.." - Ecclesiastes 1:18

  14. On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 23:14:31 GMT, Alex Potter
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >David Martin wrote on Wednesday 04 January 2006 22:51:
    >

    >> wafflycat wrote:
    >>> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]

    >>> And I saw a Freight 8

    >> Heading my way with some beer in a crate.
    >>

    >So I said "just a minute"

    "I'll have some of that."

  15. Matt B

    Matt B Guest

    Rod King wrote:
    > "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Which is surely more evidence to support my case from the "Times
    >>Letters" thread that tax payer's money is being wasted on facilities
    >>provided /exclusively/ for cyclists, which they don't want, and which
    >>they don't contribute specifically as cyclists for.

    > Actually cyclists are in fact the biggest contributor to these facilities.
    > Every one of them comes out of the councils cycling budget which means that
    > there is no money left for the many other cycle friendly uses to which the
    > money can be put such as :-

    But where does the money come /from/? It certainly is not from cycling.

    > Training children

    Should be done at school as part of the national curriculum.

    > Cycle audits

    What are they and why do we need them?

    > Speed enforcement

    Of cyclists?

    > Because these do not have any money left over for them then councils
    > continue to plead that thaey cannot afford the things that cyclists really
    > need.

    Cyclists should pay a cycling levy towards such things perhaps?

    > Such a facility as the one shown p[robably cost in the region of £5,000 to
    > £10,000 so it really is no laughing matter at all.

    It's a scandal.

    > One of the best ways to campaign against these is through the councils
    > "Scrutiny committee" where the sheer lack of sense and wastefullness of such
    > facilities can be demonstrated.

    Ah.

    --
    Matt B

  16. jtaylor

    jtaylor Guest

    The Troll "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > John B wrote:
    > >
    > > Please can you now supply a reference for these 'public consultations'

    for the plans?

    > Sorry, I can't, for reasons already described.

    Does anyone else think that there could be another reason that TrollB does
    not want his specific involvement in this matter to be a matter of common
    knowlege?

  17. jtaylor

    jtaylor Guest

    "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > It may compromise the position of a certain individual to say precisely,
    > so if you don't mind I will refrain. Have you had such a fruitless
    > experience?

    That would be yourself, then?

  18. John B wrote:

    > i oppose use of taxpayer's money for unwanted, dangerous and ill-thought out
    > schemes.

    Where there's a target, someone will come up with a bodge to achieve
    that target as easily and cheaply as possible (Zog's Law). It works in
    private industry too - as an auditor, I came across a case where loan
    applications known to be dead in the water weren't cancelled from the
    system because "retail have asked us not to: it would affect the net
    sales figures and it's the last month of their bonus period".
    Amazingly, this edict had top-level management approval.