Fast group ride training

nhorscro

Nov 14, 2003
How should I make the most of my Saturday fast group training ride? It is a mixed group of up to 100 or so cyclists, from Pro through Cat 5 and fast recreational riders. I'm at the latter end of this spectrum. It's about 26 miles as a large group and then different clubs and riders split off to do their own rides. It has some flat riding, a power climb and some rollies. Here in SoCal most people ride year round so the fitness level is high. But for many of us who are on a program, our fitness level this early in the year doesn't match the riders who hammer year round. So I'm wondering what is the best strategy to make the most of these rides, bearing in mind the vast differences in abilities in the group.

1: Should I go out hard with the group and hang on for as long as possible, backing off before I blow-up?

2: Should I go out hard with the group and hang on until I blow-up?

3: Should I go out with the group but try to find a group of riders of similar ability who have dropped off the back and complete the ride with them? This doesn't always happen...it tends to be individuals getting dropped off the back, sometimes they form a group, sometimes they don't.

4: Another option I have overlooked.

I'm at the point in my program where I am adding intensity so this ride is appropriate. I'm just not sure how to get the most out of it while still building fitness, and getting dropped off the back. Any input appreciated.

If they hammer all year round all you ned to do is wait awhile and due to overtraining you will be able to pass them all in no time...

I'd ride to the start so you're a bit warm & then hammer until you're close.

I don't think it helps on a training ride to totally blow up unless you're kind of on the limit anyway (like doing VO2 max work & overcooking it a bit but these should be short bursts).

I reckon drop off before you're totally cooked. You'll get picked up by people off the back anyway.

its what I do.

I'd go with xc_gumby.

Why not do some mid week training like intervals that aim to get you around with a faster group.

The groups I ride with show a little bit more patience and courtesy. The better riders (nearly everyone other than me) generally get to the tops of the big hills and wait for the rest of the group to catch up. Some will even roll down to the stragglers and ride up with them a second time.

The slower riders then roll on while the others get reorganised and move off. I find if I do this I can get a bit of a head start and then join the bunch as they pass me for a while, going as hard as I can till the next hill or descent ( a tad slow and nervy on these as well). We all bunch up again, ride easy on the flat, then go hard on the next challenging section.

The really good riders seem to get a good workout and provide incentive for us slower ones to get better. Everyone is really encouraging and give some good hints about improving technique, where to position yourself etc.

There are some sections where the pace gets hot for a while, generally in the same place on every ride. I have been experimenting with where to position myself on these. If I get caught at the back, that's where I stay and get dropped pretty early. The other night I tried to get up near the front, about five wheels back. I found I stayed with the bunch for most of the way, but I died badly on the last little rise, but feeling stronger. Next time I'm going to try to be in the middle of the bunch and try and hold my pace over that little rise.

The only way to get better is to set small challenges for yourself on such rides. I'm too old to challenge the young guys, but if I can improve my average speed up a hill or over a section from the previous ride, (or lay off the brakes going through corners on the fast descents) then I feel I'm making progress.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

xc_gumby: That is what I have been doing so far....and I think I'll stick with it and just develop my fitness..

2Lap: I am doing mid-week intervals. I'm not really worried about performance at the moment, I just wanted to know how to make the most of Saturday rides. I know I will eventually be up to a level that allows me to ride the entire ride.

Spider: This is a group of up to 100 riders ranging in ability from Pro to recreational.....so I think it would be difficult to arrange re-groups as we do on rides with smaller groups.