Fastest Speed on the Flats--NO WIND

I tried a flat-sprint-max-speed when I first got my road bike just over two years ago and hit 34.5 mph, haven't tried lately but would be curious because I am in much better shape now.

I can cruise flats at 22-25mph for a quite a while, but usually keep it at 19-21 mph to save energy during a long ride. Age 53.

Oh, and I have a downhill section on my morning loop that I can hit about 43 mph.

Wow some of you guys can haul! I'm takin Chemo Theropy have been for last 4 months so have been slowed down now....... I would do good to do 25 now... When I was up to snuff probably 35 tops.....Thats with my old Motobecane ..... Good ole bike! This Chemo is rough stuff I am envious of Lance Armstrong... He is my hero! He keeps me goin! Terry S..........:D :D

1 CycleNut said:
Wow some of you guys can haul! I'm takin Chemo Theropy have been for last 4 months so have been slowed down now....... I would do good to do 25 now... When I was up to snuff probably 35 tops.....Thats with my old Motobecane ..... Good ole bike! This Chemo is rough stuff I am envious of Lance Armstrong... He is my hero! He keeps me goin! Terry S..........:D :D

Keep on going with the riding and you might end up 'doing a Lance' and riding the tour next year! Seriously I hope you get your fitness back soon. :)

gntlmn said:
In a tuck on a downhill, whether I spin or not, it seems that my current top speed is only 42.4 mph. It always reads this same number. I'm beginning to wonder whether my computer won't read any higher than that.

I still haven't done the all out sprint on the flats this thread asks for. I like to pedal and pedal for hours, like a Forest Gump of biking. Sprinting I might do if someone challenged me, but on my own, it's hard to muster the adrenaline it would take to do a really great sprint. I hope I look at the speedometer when this finally happens.:)

Now I know it's wrong. Where I used to tuck at 48 mph, now it won't go over 42.4, and I can tell I speed up in a spin. I have to get a new speedometer. Then I'll do the sprint too.

Well, I'm 13 and I just got a new bike about 4 days ago. I do not know how accurate my spedo is... I calibrated it on my treadmill:D I do know that i have gottin my bike goin 23:eek: on the flats if my spedo is correct and 38 down a short steep hill. Tommorow I plan on takin my bike out to a flat road that is around 6 miles long so I'll tell ya'll what my top speed was.

Raleigh Grand Prix

I got chased by a dog (a huge skinny dog) about a couple of weeks ago. That son of a gun was pretty fast. However, when I saw it chasing me, I got scared but I took off immediately and when I looked down and it said 34mph. Also my heart rate was around 190-195. I kept that speed for about a minute or less. Now when I see dogs, I just take off automatically.

sooray02 said:
I got chased by a dog (a huge skinny dog) about a couple of weeks ago. That son of a gun was pretty fast. However, when I saw it chasing me, I got scared but I took off immediately and when I looked down and it said 34mph. Also my heart rate was around 190-195. I kept that speed for about a minute or less. Now when I see dogs, I just take off automatically.

Aha! Now I know how to get motivated. :D

I think ive only ever managed about 31-32mph on a all out sprint with no wind assistance, saying that though i would imagine road surface plays quite a big part and the roads around our way are proper ****.

Several of you have mentioned about getting a top speed while travelling behind trucks, is it just me or does that sound like a crazy and dangerous thing to do when you are talking speeds of 35mph + . I would imagine that to get a good drag you would have to be right tucked up behind the truck, that could seriously catch you out under breaking if it pulls up sharpish, sounds like playing with fire. :eek:

crees22 said:
I would imagine that to get a good drag you would have to be right tucked up behind the truck, that could seriously catch you out under breaking if it pulls up sharpish, sounds like playing with fire. :eek:

I think trucks take longer to stop than cars do because of the weight. Just to be safe, it's probably best to pick an old, dilapidated truck whose brakes are in a state of disrepair ;)

MrCjolsen said:
Is there a handicap for being on a mountain bike?

24 mph. (80 psi street tires)

I can hold 19 or 20.

I've been cycling (regularly) for about a month. I'm 42

I think you'd be a lot faster on a road bike. :)

Ok, I did the MS 150 this weekend, and at the end of the 2nd day, I blasted (for me) down a straight, flat section of road in Altoona PA (route 36 I think it was). The best I could manage was 32-33mph, but that was at the end of a 70-ish mile ride, after having done the same ride (in the opposite direction) the day before, so I was a little beat. Still, I'm going to have to say that I probably wouldn't have been able to get much above 35, even when fresh, so it appears that over the past 10 years I've lost around 5-ish mph from my sprint.

Not too bad, I guess, since I'll be 40 soon. I'm still going to work at getting my old legs back though ;)

I have hit 29MPH several times, but 30MPH had not been reached.
I can cruse at 17-18 as long as necessary.

Today when the stop light went green I hammered standing up till 29 mph and held that for a a few hundred meters. I didn't hit lactate threshhold. I'm in base training for the upcoming cyclocross season...

I've taken a couple years off the bike (just started training again) but back when I was training in my previous life at the same stop light I would hit 35 mph in an all out sprint. That was during the build phase of my training.

mattv2099 said:
Today when the stop light went green I hammered standing up till 29 mph and held that for a a few hundred meters. I didn't hit lactate threshhold. I'm in base training for the upcoming cyclocross season...

I've taken a couple years off the bike (just started training again) but back when I was training in my previous life at the same stop light I would hit 35 mph in an all out sprint. That was during the build phase of my training.

You might be there still with a doberman pinscher behind you. :D

I have just started raceing this summer and my fastest is 30mph. I am very very light at 105 lb so that might have some thing to do with it not being able to put as much weight down on the pedals but I don't know. And I have only been racing for about 2 months. I have been riding for about a year though.

33mph in a flat out sprint, no hill, no wind. Didn't hold it for very long, maybe 1/4 mile, and I was pretty much finished at the end of that sprint.

I understand that training for sprints is the best application of a power meter. If you are doing endurance or sustained power, a heart monitor is adequate. If you're training to sprint, the power meter will give you instantaneous feedback on your wattage. With the HR monitor, the delay would be too long in the shortness of a sprint.

I wonder if it's safe to put your eyes there rather than keeping your eyes on the road while you're exploding with speed.

Hi guys,

I thought I would throw my speed in the ring, a few years ago in a sprint finish of a race I got up to around 66kph.

:cool:

I can sustain 24 or so fairly easily-my fastest flat has been 29. something. How the hell do you break 30?

Columbia said:
Top ever speed (with a crosswind, but lets ignore that little fact :D ) was 63.3 KPH (39.5 MPH) just a couple of days ago. However, juniors are made to use restricted gears (I'd unrestricted mine for that day) so with them it's hard for me to replicate that speed even on a descent :mad: .

Top speed with my gears restricted was 34.5 MPH. It was in a race a few weeks back.