fav place to ride

joetronic

Aug 23, 2005
SO what is every ones fav place to ride, and how often do you ride there.

I'll start:

I love to Ride in Gettysburg, PA. I ride there almost every Sunday. Anyone near this area should really give it a look. Nice rolling hills, flats, and if you want some nice climbs Fairfield is only 8 or so mile away. The Auto Tour route is nice, very pretty and traffic is minimal, and its all one way.

So whats your fav place to ride?

hwy 34 -loveland to estes park, CO
summit county, CO
road to hana, maui, HI
lake shore bike path, Chicago, IL

North out of Boulder, CO to Lyons, then W up St. Vrain Canyon to the Peak to Peak highway, S on that to Ward, then down Lefthand canyon back to Hwy 36 then Boulder. It's about 60 miles with a little over 5000 ft of total climbing, and it's gorgeous.

The reverse is good too, but I prefer going down Lefthand.

There is an area around Perth and Dundee called the Sidlaw Hills. I was on holiday in the area and found the most delightful route to cycle. When I learn to drive I want to go down there a lot to do more cycling. It has the longest climb I know, around 8 miles!!!!

BudT said:
North out of Boulder, CO to Lyons, then W up St. Vrain Canyon to the Peak to Peak highway, S on that to Ward, then down Lefthand canyon back to Hwy 36 then Boulder. It's about 60 miles with a little over 5000 ft of total climbing, and it's gorgeous.

The reverse is good too, but I prefer going down Lefthand.
i'm dying to do this ride sometime

unforutnately its a little too long to start out of Ft Collins... i could probably do 34 > estes > Peak to Peak and then grab the route you're describing, but itd probably be around a hundred miles and i'd end up in boulder with no way home.

some day i need to just get up early and drive to boulder and try this.

badhat said:
i'm dying to do this ride sometime

unforutnately its a little too long to start out of Ft Collins... i could probably do 34 > estes > Peak to Peak and then grab the route you're describing, but itd probably be around a hundred miles and i'd end up in boulder with no way home.

some day i need to just get up early and drive to boulder and try this.
Yea or just start in Lyons and do the loop from there. If you miss the stretch of 36 between Boulder and Lefthand, no worries- it's not that exciting. St Vrain canyon is a great ride- low traffic and a moderate but long climb. Once on the Peak to Peak, there is a sweet climb S out of Peacefl Valley and some awesome rolling terrain between there and Ward. The views of the divide are sweet.

It'll be spring before I do this one again . . .

anywhere in Denmark. Only it's a shame I only get to visit there about once every year and a half lately.

a July wakeup at 5am, sun already risen, and i'm out there on those smooth roads all alone. all those narrow country roads we see in all the races in europe, they got 'em in DK also of course, and almost all of them are nice and smooth.

then back 'home' for a big Danish breakfast with the family and in-laws. and i get my cycling map out and line out the new roads I've ridden.

the alternative ride being with my brother-in-law and/or the local club for a swifter-paced ride in the late morning on a saturday, with the club veteran choosing the route and taking us on back roads even other club members haven't seen before.
then back to the apt. in time to watch TV2's presentation of the Tour de France, with some cold Carlsberg, Tuborg, or Faxe of course.

well since i cant have that now, except in my mind's eye, i'll have to settle for the wonderful rides i've had up in Alaska this summer-fall. the ride out of Denali park on the Parks hwy to the southern view of McKinley, the Seward hwy. ride south to Seward, and the multiple rides in the Eagle River area with the steepest climbs I have ever personally ridden, although i prefer the longer climbs with gentler gradients, like the long climb from Sierra Vista to Bisbee AZ of long ago...

I like Summit County, CO. Incredible variety of bike paths, beautiful scenery, courteous drivers, but the weather isn't always the best. If you factor in the weather, you can't beat Douglas County, NV and Alpine County, CA. Carson City to Genoa to Mottsville to Diamond Valley to Markleeville, to Ebbets Pass in the morning when there isn't much wind. The traffic isn't bad and the scenery on the east side of the Sierras is incredible.

Ed

Looks like Im the only Aussie so far....:cool:

My fav place is the Old Convict Trails in Wisemans Ferry ( NSW ) Its great. A lung buster of a climb to start off (2kms) up a steep a$$ hill....
Theres ups and downs, 2 foot high water bars to hit at 45Km/h downhill, a temple hidden down the bottom of some serious down hill sections ( which you have to ride back up) a bridge which convicts built in days gone by, and the best down hill single track I have done in a long time. Its seriously fast, very rocky, but an absolute hoot

I love to ride... but I don't travel much. I happen to live just one block from Chicago's 18 mile beatiful paved Lake Shore Path. So this is my favorite place to ride. True there are certain times of the day during certain part of the year where you are reduced to a crawl! Thoose days I take to the streets or I enjoy the crawl portion of the ride by observing the population enjoying the great weather!!:)

i lived in chicago for years before moving to colorado last fall and i can tell you that as much as i love colorado cycling, the lake shore path is still on my short list, as you may have noticed. the view of the city from the stretch of path across from grant park is truly breathtaking, and i really miss the fact that it was more or less well lit all night all the way from my hood (up near foster) all the way to the museum campus. so i could (and regularly did) just get up at 3 or 4 in the morning and have the path all to myself for a couple of hours. theres really nothing else like it in terms balance of view, and surface quality/mantenence, and safety, and usefulness for commuting. its really a wonderful resource.

joetronic said:

I'll start:

I love to Ride in Gettysburg, PA. I ride there almost every Sunday. Anyone near this area should really give it a look. Nice rolling hills, flats, and if you want some nice climbs Fairfield is only 8 or so mile away. The Auto Tour route is nice, very pretty and traffic is minimal, and its all one way.

Joetronic,

Hey. I just did the Gettysburg Auto Tour yesterday (Monday 11/14) I loved it. The town part was a bit of a grunge but it was pretty short, and then it was rolling hills and rolling views. Pretty area! And the motorists were quite friendly. Everyone (who noticed me) waved. I was worried about the people looking at the monuments more than the road though. But for the most part, it was great. Good restaraunts abound for afterward too!

I don't have a favorite ride yet, as I am new. I guess you could say that the Greenbelt around Harrisburg is my typical ride. I do that quite frequently because I live so close. That and the Stony Creek Valley are my favorite "fat tire" rides.

My favorite road ride has to be the loop around Blue Mountain just north of Harrisburg. One of these days I am going to make it over Blue Mountain. I've gotten to the last 100' but that 11% grade stopped my wheels dead. I nearly fell over.

I did a century in Perry County also. The Newport Library Ride to Read. That was the best ride I have done so far. That was Sept 24th, and I haven't been back thanks to junkie weather. :-(

Padraic

My favorite bike path is Chicago's Lake Shore Drive between Olive Park and Byrwn Mawr - this is an exact 7 mile path that is mostly flat and has only about 4 (?) intersections where you have to watch for cars. Otherwise, I bike after work at Humbolt Park which is 1 mile away from where I live. LSD is 3 miles away from me. So I'm pretty lucky to live close to two good bike paths.

joetronic said:

I'll start:

I ride the west orange trail in central florida. It's miles of trail thats really compatible with biking walking etc...

Living in Southern California, we have lots of variable terrain for a favorite ride. Flat rides around town, moderate to steep climbs in the local mountains, and nice leisurely spins along the beach. My favorite,with nothing else coming close, is Glendora Mountain Road, and if time permits, continuing out to Baldy Village. It has the first 8.5 miles climbing with only a quarter mile of downhill,just before mile 7, and then rollercoasters,but mostly still going up, for another 15 miles. It has over 5,000 feet of climbing, and views of Mt. Baldy and the high country of the San Gabrial Mountains that are spectacular at the right times of the year.The ride is known by "GMR" by those that are familiar with it, and is closed to cars more often than not. A great ride that is mostly just you and the road, in an area close to 15 million people.

JTE83 said:
My favorite bike path is Chicago's Lake Shore Drive between Olive Park and Byrwn Mawr - this is an exact 7 mile path that is mostly flat and has only about 4 (?) intersections where you have to watch for cars. Otherwise, I bike after work at Humbolt Park which is 1 mile away from where I live. LSD is 3 miles away from me. So I'm pretty lucky to live close to two good bike paths.
Schuylkill River Trail in Philadelphia...but I would really love to ride in Gettysburg. I have been there 4 times and would love to bring my bike next time...plus I am a Civil War enthusiast (I hate the word "buff").

HenryLaRoy said:
Joetronic,

Hey. I just did the Gettysburg Auto Tour yesterday (Monday 11/14) I loved it. The town part was a bit of a grunge but it was pretty short, and then it was rolling hills and rolling views. Pretty area! And the motorists were quite friendly. Everyone (who noticed me) waved. I was worried about the people looking at the monuments more than the road though. But for the most part, it was great. Good restaraunts abound for afterward too!

I don't have a favorite ride yet, as I am new. I guess you could say that the Greenbelt around Harrisburg is my typical ride. I do that quite frequently because I live so close. That and the Stony Creek Valley are my favorite "fat tire" rides.

My favorite road ride has to be the loop around Blue Mountain just north of Harrisburg. One of these days I am going to make it over Blue Mountain. I've gotten to the last 100' but that 11% grade stopped my wheels dead. I nearly fell over.

I did a century in Perry County also. The Newport Library Ride to Read. That was the best ride I have done so far. That was Sept 24th, and I haven't been back thanks to junkie weather. :-(

Padraic
Glad someone else like to ride there. Are you from this area, we should get together sometime and ride. PM me if your interested. The Avenue on Stienwerner is my my fav after ride place to eat. Normally packed with collage kids and tourists, but well worth the wait.

my favorite places in no particular order are Moab UT, Lake Tahoe CA, Mt. Shasta CA. I love to climb so anywhere where there are mountains.