FEMA Chief Relieved of his Duties

Chris Neary wrote:

> One mitigating factor, Brown's confirmation hearing was when he was named as
> *Deputy* Director of FEMA.
>
> Not to excuse anyone, but I suspect he was pretty far down in the pecking
> order to get on anyone's radar during a confirmation process.

Maybe not all appointments that require the Senate's confirmation are
opportunities for individual Senators to play to the media for their
own political advancement but that isn't a Senator's job. When the
Senate as a body basically says, "While this appointment requires our
confirmation, it's really not important enough in partisan politics for
us to actually do the jobs we were elected to and are paid to
perform.", that's not a mitigating factor. It's nonfeasance.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Bill Henry <[email protected]> wrote:

>http://www.nytimes.com/
>
>I'm glad, but I can't put all the blame on him. Somebody appointed him
>to his position and the fact that he was wholly unqualified didn't seem
>to worry anybody.

.... and now he has resigned ....

Bill Henry <[email protected]> wrote:

>http://www.nytimes.com/
>
>I'm glad, but I can't put all the blame on him. Somebody appointed him
>to his position and the fact that he was wholly unqualified didn't seem
>to worry anybody.

.... and now he has resigned ....

Bill Henry wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/
>
> I'm glad, but I can't put all the blame on him. Somebody appointed him
> to his position and the fact that he was wholly unqualified didn't seem
> to worry anybody.

The San Jose Mercury News had a list of all the FEMA people and their
qualifications. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read it. It's
clear that the top people were appointed as political favors, not
because of their ability.

Bill Henry wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/
>
> I'm glad, but I can't put all the blame on him. Somebody appointed him
> to his position and the fact that he was wholly unqualified didn't seem
> to worry anybody.

The San Jose Mercury News had a list of all the FEMA people and their
qualifications. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read it. It's
clear that the top people were appointed as political favors, not
because of their ability.

> [email protected] wrote:
>
>>I'd love to see a rational, thinking person's, conservatism return ...
>>but I'm afraid the Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Coulter wing is going to have to
>>bottom out before that happens.

> You might want to consider the counterweight to the conservative
> pundits above. Just Michael Moore alone could more than outweigh them
> (both literally and figuratively). Add in Air America and Howard Dean
> and the "spewing invective balance" tilts precariously to the left.

Maybe we can just agree that there is a lot of simplistic, inflammatory
rhetoric on both sides. I see more of it on the right, you see more of it on
the left. It's always easier to see the mote in the other guy's eye.

I think there's also a decline in political civility. From what I hear,
Goldwater (Mr. Conservative) and the Udalls (quite liberal) were political
rivals in Arizona but personally rather friendly. If you can see the other
person as a fundamentally decent, if wrongheaded, person (rather than a
wacko liberal or conservative nutjob) it helps to develop a decent working
relationship on the issues you do have in common.

"Neil Brooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bill Henry <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>http://www.nytimes.com/
>>
>>I'm glad, but I can't put all the blame on him. Somebody appointed him
>>to his position and the fact that he was wholly unqualified didn't seem
>>to worry anybody.

> ... and now he has resigned ....

Interesting article in the WSJ today on Wal-mart, and how they have rapidly
mobilized to get stuff back in the area to sell. The head of emergency
preparedness for Wal-mart has both bachelor's and master's degrees in the
field.

There are several contrasts between Wal-mart's ability to get stuff there
versus FEMA's.

The WSJ may be willing to let GW twist in the wind on this one, and go back
to their familiar theme of "private enterprise does it better".

Of course, there is a huge difference in scale between the Wal-mart effort
and what's needed overall in the area, but it's notable that Wal-mart seems
to have recognized you need actual professionals and actual procedures --
and actual food and water. Sure, they are selling it. But I bet they are
selling it for regular price. And if "I was hungry and you sold me food"
and "I was thirsty and you sold me bottled water" isn't quite biblical, some
days it might be good enough.

Mike Kruger wrote:

> I think there's also a decline in political civility.

You're right.

{Maniacal Laugh}

Mike Kruger wrote:

> Interesting article in the WSJ today on Wal-mart, and how they have
> rapidly mobilized to get stuff back in the area to sell. The head of
> emergency preparedness for Wal-mart has both bachelor's and master's
> degrees in the field.
>
> There are several contrasts between Wal-mart's ability to get stuff
> there versus FEMA's.
>
> The WSJ may be willing to let GW twist in the wind on this one, and
> better".
> Of course, there is a huge difference in scale between the Wal-mart
> effort and what's needed overall in the area, but it's notable that
> Wal-mart seems to have recognized you need actual professionals and
> actual procedures -- and actual food and water. Sure, they are
> selling it. But I bet they are selling it for regular price. And if
> "I was hungry and you sold me food" and "I was thirsty and you sold
> me bottled water" isn't quite biblical, some days it might be good
> enough.

I heard "Walmort" (geneism) gave over $23M in the first few days, FWIW.

Also, a /little/ perspective:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05254/568876.stm

Still say if the death toll ends up as low as currently hoped, someone did
SOMETHING right.

Two cents please, Bill S.

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> Mike Kruger wrote:
>
>> Interesting article in the WSJ today on Wal-mart, and how they have
>> rapidly mobilized to get stuff back in the area to sell. The head of
>> emergency preparedness for Wal-mart has both bachelor's and master's
>> degrees in the field.
>>
>> There are several contrasts between Wal-mart's ability to get stuff
>> there versus FEMA's.
>>
>> The WSJ may be willing to let GW twist in the wind on this one, and
>> better".
>> Of course, there is a huge difference in scale between the Wal-mart
>> effort and what's needed overall in the area, but it's notable that
>> Wal-mart seems to have recognized you need actual professionals and
>> actual procedures -- and actual food and water. Sure, they are
>> selling it. But I bet they are selling it for regular price. And if
>> "I was hungry and you sold me food" and "I was thirsty and you sold
>> me bottled water" isn't quite biblical, some days it might be good
>> enough.

> I heard "Walmort" (geneism) gave over $23M in the first few days, FWIW.
>
> Also, a /little/ perspective:
> http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05254/568876.stm
>
> Still say if the death toll ends up as low as currently hoped, someone did
> SOMETHING right.
>
> Two cents please, Bill S.

Pure and simple tokenism. Not an issue if it helps keep the peace and
profits intact.

Please Bill, keep my dyslexic grammar intact. The sentence structure is more
important than the content.

Brian Wax wrote for some unknown reason:
> "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D[email protected]...
>> Mike Kruger wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting article in the WSJ today on Wal-mart, and how they have
>>> rapidly mobilized to get stuff back in the area to sell. The head
>>> of emergency preparedness for Wal-mart has both bachelor's and
>>> master's degrees in the field.
>>>
>>> There are several contrasts between Wal-mart's ability to get stuff
>>> there versus FEMA's.
>>>
>>> The WSJ may be willing to let GW twist in the wind on this one, and
>>> better".
>>> Of course, there is a huge difference in scale between the Wal-mart
>>> effort and what's needed overall in the area, but it's notable that
>>> Wal-mart seems to have recognized you need actual professionals and
>>> actual procedures -- and actual food and water. Sure, they are
>>> selling it. But I bet they are selling it for regular price. And if
>>> "I was hungry and you sold me food" and "I was thirsty and you sold
>>> me bottled water" isn't quite biblical, some days it might be good
>>> enough.

>> I heard "Walmort" (geneism) gave over $23M in the first few days,
>> FWIW. Also, a /little/ perspective:
>> http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05254/568876.stm
>>
>> Still say if the death toll ends up as low as currently hoped,
>> someone did SOMETHING right.
>>
>> Two cents please, Bill S.

{space added}

> Pure and simple tokenism. Not an issue if it helps keep the peace and
> profits intact.
>
> Please Bill, keep my dyslexic grammar intact. The sentence structure
> is more important than the content.

WTH are you talking about now?

"Pat Leahy Even LOOKS Like A Penis" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Kruger wrote:
>
>> I think there's also a decline in political civility.

>You're right.
>
>{Maniacal Laugh}

Shut up you morons... ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "Pat Leahy Even LOOKS Like A Penis" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Mike Kruger wrote:
>>
>>> I think there's also a decline in political civility.

>> You're right.
>>
>> {Maniacal Laugh}

> Shut up you morons... ;-)

Invective! Invective!

(At least it was legitimate :) )

"Pat Leahy Even LOOKS Like A Penis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mike Kruger wrote:
>
>> I think there's also a decline in political civility.

> You're right.
>
> {Maniacal Laugh}

Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all
breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all
mortal.
John F. Kennedy

Tell some of the gas bags in Washington, DC this.

"Thomas Wentworth" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all
>breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all
>mortal.
>John F. Kennedy
>

>Tell some of the gas bags in Washington, DC this.

I think that basic interconnectedness is lost on far, far more people
than simply our political representatives, who--by and
large--represent the will of their respective constituents.

"Neil Brooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Thomas Wentworth" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all
>>breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all
>>mortal.
>>John F. Kennedy
>>

>>Tell some of the gas bags in Washington, DC this.

> I think that basic interconnectedness is lost on far, far more people
> than simply our political representatives, who--by and
> large--represent the will of their respective constituents.

When political districts are gerrymandered to create safe districts (for
either party), then the representatives can afford to be extremists. I live
in a hotly contested congressional district that has nearly even numbers of
people from both parties. The Republican won by a narrow margin -- and so
far, he seems to be balanced in his statements and decisions. One more
reason to oppose gerrymandering.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Claire Petersky wrote:
> "Neil Brooks" <[email protected]> wrote
>>"Thomas Wentworth" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all
>>>breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all
>>>mortal.
>>>John F. Kennedy
>>>
>>>Tell some of the gas bags in Washington, DC this.

>>I think that basic interconnectedness is lost on far, far more people
>>than simply our political representatives, who--by and
>>large--represent the will of their respective constituents.

> [...gerrymandering sucks and allows pols to be extremists...]
> [...Claire's district is pretty balanced, and her rep won by narrow margin,
> and is thus forced to actually represent all of his constituents...]
> One more reason to oppose gerrymandering.

Love him or hate him, the Governator has made ending gerrymandering a
big priority this year, if he can get the measure on the ballot (if the
measure passes, legislative districts would no longer be drawn by the
legislature--they'd be drawn by a panel of retired judges).

--
Chris BeHanna
'03 Specialized Allez Elite 27