Final thoughts about 2006 TDF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tiogar : had to amend the stats : made a few typos. (doing a lot of that lately for some reason).

Here is Fotheringhams article : and his thoughts with the numbers of viewers etc.

Victorious Landis faces a future as uncertain as the Tour itself

William Fotheringham in Paris
Monday July 24, 2006
The Guardian

In 11 months' time the Tour de France circus will arrive in London for the great race's first ever grand départ from these shores. It is unlikely to arrive in any more certain a state than when it rolled into Paris yesterday for the sprint on the Champs-Elysées, won by Thor Hushovd.

To start with, it is unclear whether the first winner of the era after Lance Armstrong will actually make it to The Mall and Buckingham Palace next July. Floyd Landis completed his victory as expected over the weekend but he will have a hip replacement in the next few weeks and he will then enter territory where no cyclist of his level has been before. The former Mennonite mountain biker may recover in time for London or he may not.

By some quirk of fate races in the sixth year of a decade tend to be anachronistic, tucked between the reigns of two great champions, often with an unexpected result. The Dane Bjarne Riis, for example, won in 1996, which saw the end of Miguel Indurain; 10 years earlier was Bernard Hinault's last Tour, with his absorbing duel with Greg LeMond.

The pattern of this Tour was different from the controlled, largely predictable, years of Armstrong, with Landis's team unwilling to take a grip of events. Seven riders wore the yellow jersey, close to the record, while the outcome was in doubt until halfway through the final time-trial. As late as Saturday morning, Landis, Oscar Pereiro and Carlos Sastre were all potential winners, with 30 seconds between them, and Landis's winning margin at the end, 57 seconds, was the closest since his fellow American LeMond's eight-second victory in 1989.

There were some intriguing patterns. The men at the top of the standings were familiar faces: Andreas Kloden finished second in 2004, Oscar Pereiro has twice finished 10th, Cadel Evans and Carlos Sastres are hardly spring chickens. A little further below them, however, there is a new generation, represented by the Italian Damiano Cunego, who took the best young rider's award; the Luxembourgeois Franck Schleck, who won at L'Alpe d'Huez, and the German Marcus Fothen.

At least two home cyclists should be at the start in London, assuming Bradley Wiggins decides he wants to return to the race after finishing his first Tour yesterday. Wiggins will grow in confidence and his fellow Briton David Millar finished in style, taking 11th place in Saturday's time-trial and then escaping twice yesterday on the Champs-Elysées. At one point Wiggins was active in the chase behind him.

The 2006 Tour began with the biggest doping scandal in cycling history, which is saying something given the abundance of disgrace that preceded the ejection of Jan Ullrich, Ivan Basso and Francisco Mancebo, plus four of Alexandr Vinokourov's Astana team. The race reached its climax, however, with one of the most surprising mountain stages in the race's history last Thursday. It was a reminder, if it were needed, that while cycling can plumb the depths, it can also scale colossal heights of suspense and fortitude.

It would have been reasonable, perhaps, to expect a strong message from the Tour winner about the incident that shook the race before it had started and which is likely to shape cycling in the next few months, if not years, as the legal ramifications rumble on. But Landis did not seem willing to connect with the issue on Saturday and hid behind platitudes.

After being pressed on the subject he came up with this: "In this sport it's clear we do more than other sports to prevent doping and solve the problem. We have a reputation that seems not to want to go away. It's up to every child's parents to explain to them when they are watching the race what the best decisions are about."

This was a Tour where the favourites disappeared amid murky allegations and, as one revelation from the Spanish police followed another, no one seemed to have any idea just how much drug-taking was or was not going on, if Wiggins' view is typical. "I thought the sport was cleaner [before the scandal] but I've given up predicting anything," he said. "You just don't know. I don't know any more."

If that is the view of someone at the sharp end, who could forgive the fans for being confused if not sceptical? Perhaps this year's doping scandal was one too many, perhaps the viewing public were merely saturated with sport after the World Cup, but there was a distinct drop in television viewing figures for this year's race, with German audiences down 43%, those in America dropping 52% and French viewers down 23% for the first 16 days of the race, before Landis's epic on the stage to Morzine redressed the balance.

There were also disconcerting gaps among the spectators, notably at Pla-de- Beret in Spain but also in the Alps, where L'Alpe d'Huez was less populous than usual, and at La Toussuire where relatively few spectators watched Floyd Landis struggle. Even on Saturday's final time-trial there were long stretches of road where the riders were racing entirely alone.

This is a new trend for the Tour and it will be intriguing to see if it is merely a one-off, particularly as the French had their best Tour in at least 10 years, with Cyril Dessel and Christophe Moreau in the top 10 and six stages going to riders from French teams.

Hushovd's finish sprint ahead of the points winner Robbie McEwen - taking the prize for the third time - provided a curiously symmetrical ending for the most surprising race in many years, as the Norwegian had also won the opening prologue in Strasbourg. The Norwegian sandwich that enclosed the race was orderly enough; the three-week filling, however, was a smorgasbord of surprises.

bauerfan said:
I think in Germany the lack of participation by and negative publicity concerning Jan Ullrich must have had a huge effect. Much is being made of the fact in the German media today that while the T-Mobile reception in Bonn with Ullrich attracted 10,000 people without Ullrich the crowd was in the hundreds.

TV TDF audience was down 43% in Germany.

There must be a corralation between JU's ban - and viewership.

limerickman said:
One final thought : TV viewership for the 2006 TDF was down significantly.

25% down in Germany.
30% down in Spain.
And 45% down in France.

In addition, roadside numbers were also down according to the Guardians Bill Fotheringham.

It is not known if this drop in support is due to Puerto or the World Cup.

My personal viewership is down and I know exactly why: Operation Puerto. I've suspected widespread doping for awhile now, but somehow I've been able to divorce myself from the idea while I watch racing. I tried to do that again this Tour, but it just didn't work. Despite the exciting racing, the filth of doping polluted the entire race for me.

Watching Landis, Kloden, Evans, Pereiro, Menchov, etc., I simply could not forget the spectors of the champions not present. The shock of losing these riders was sudden and severe. This Tour will be remembered more for who wasn't present than for how it was won (just as most people know Festina 1998, but not Ullrich dramatic crack).

As much as I like Floyd Landis and especially his gutsy performance, the reality that he is most likely doping himself took a lot of shine off his performance. If, by some miracle, he is clean, his failure to make a strong statement against those that were caught disappoints me.

The fact of the matter is that our cycling stars are cheaters, almost all of them. Their bahavior doesn't respect the fans. And I'm finding that harder and harder to ignore.

My viewership was down too - because of Puerto.

I vowed to stay away from watching the TDF : but I failed.
I tuned in as soon as the race hit the mountains.

I love cycling and this is what gets to me.
Part of me wants to believe - but I cannot bring myself to do so fully.
As far as I am concerned, it's up to (all) the riders to prove their innocence.

Tim Lamkin said:
Accusation, wishing, or do you know something the rest of us do not?

Not an accusation, certainly not wishing, and no inside information.

I'm just playing the percentages and the reality of pro-cycling is doping.

Memorable parts of the Tour, in order:

> Persistence of maillot jaune and mental weakness of others (Landis' breakway after cracking and revelation of his hip problems -- "bone on bone"; Savo and Iban Mayo's leaving the tour after relatively limited setbacks). Carpe diem (a bit Gonchar too)

> Role of DS Leadership. Strategic blunders of TM and CSC (not doing anything during Landis' breakaway; same for Perreiro). Importance of good DS guidance (Lelange/Landis) and a DS having a style that matches his key rider's approach. Need for both DS strategic acumen and rider execution capability (impotence of a great DS when he doesn't have riders who can carry out their tasks (Bruyneel)).

> DC's humility-inducing experience with LA gone (Popo's attempts to win a stage; Eki's statement that the situation was an emergency, for a stage win; DC's bad results in the first mountain stage and in the first long ITT). Life isn't as sweet when one's leader is gone and it isn't so easy to win a TdF.

> Pride of teams after their leaders were removed or otherwise not participating (TM, CSC, DC; Kloden's dedication of his podium spot to JU)

> The importance of having key teammates (A Merckx/Landis; Rasmussen/Menchov on certain stages)

Tim Lamkin said:
Accusation, wishing, or do you know something the rest of us do not?
Let's see:

2006 Giro: The top two placed riders have been suspended in fallout from a drug scandal.

2005 Vuelta: The winner was found to be using EPO.

2005 Tour: First place had EPO found in his retrotested urine. The next three were suspended in the wake of a doping scandal, and the fifth place rider's entire team was found to be doping.

A pattern has emerged. It does not take too many neurons to draw the conclusion that the probability of Landis doping is very high--and I am saying that as a huge fan of Landis

Bro Deal said:
]

A pattern has emerged. It does not take too many neurons to draw the conclusion that the probability of Landis doping is very high--and I am saying that as a huge fan of Landis

Great post and I echo this sentiment 100%.

limerickman said:

43% down in Germany.
52% down in USA
And 23% down in France.

In addition, roadside numbers were also down according to the Guardians Bill Fotheringham.

Yes and German tv said they will look how the doping issue develops and is considering to stop broadcasting the TdF in 2008 if nothing changes....

On the other hand: in the Netherlands and Belgium almost the same viewership, down mostly in the first week (during soccer (football) world cup).

limerickman said:
TV TDF audience was down 43% in Germany.

There must be a corralation between JU's ban - and viewership.
The traditional coming home celebration for TM in Bonn yesterday had a few 100 spectators. Last year there where 10.000!

At the stages where i was: less spectators at the prologue in Strasbourg, you could easily walk around almost everywhere, a lot of spectators in Belgium and the Netherlands (but in 1992 600.000 spectators in valkenburg, this year 150.000 - both figueres from Dutch police). A lot of spectators in the Bretagne stages (Rennes, Lorient), les (but still a lot) in the Alpes.

My final thoughts in general, it was a strange Tour with a winner who really deserved it, great ride by Landis. Great ride by Klöden to, especially considering his shoulder injury in april and therefore short preparation and the fact that the team was pretty down in the first days after sending JU home. Great Tour by Kessler and Dessel. Fothen and Cunego are the coming men...

Still i am confused (especially after McQuaids remarks on sunday) about the prodedures in the Fuentes case. I missed Basso and Ullrich.

limerickman said:

43% down in Germany.
52% down in USA
And 23% down in France.

I think it was a combination of three things...Lance, Jan ulrich and Ivan basso....not there......Myself, I will never forget where I was when Landis went on a rampage in stage 17...Having my wife's car serviced:rolleyes: ....Just glad I had my wireless laptop with me to stay tuned as the dealership had their tv locked on cnn....

One of the best tours in years....Of course, OLN could have reduced the number of commercials. I'll never forget the look on klodens face when Floyd took off either....Just glad Kloden stayed put that day...

limerickman said:

43% down in Germany.
52% down in USA
And 23% down in France.

Well in America it is down due to Lance no longer racing.

limerickman said:
The general consensus is that the 2006 TDF was the best TDF in the last decade in terms of excitment, unpredictability and the closeness of the end result (2006 was the tightest finish for top 3 since the TDF started in 1903).

Having watched ES and having read L'Equipe, Sunday Times (Paul Kimmage) and Bill Fotheringhams articles, they have said that 2006 TDF was "a great TDF".

Obviously the withdrawal of Basso, Ullrich, Vino and Mancebo was instrumental in the change in overall GC - but this TDF had some memorable stages and incidents.

Ras winning his stage at La Troussaire.
Landis dying at La Troussaire.
Landis winning at Morzine.
Schleck winning at Alp D'Huez.
McEwen dominating the sprints.
Hushovd nearly having his right arm amputated by a spectator.
Mercado winning his stage for Agritubel.
Fedrigo winning Bouyges first ever TDF stage (superb).
Pereiro coming back from his 28min deficit.
Jens Voigt's stage win (superb).
Hushovd winning the prologue and the Champs Elysee stages.
Cunego's ITT performance.
Freire's stages wins.
Rabobanks support all round performance.
And poor Erik Dekker and his injuries after that horrendous crash (and David Canada, Rik Verbrugge too).

Personally I was delighted to see Voekler today riding on the Champs Elyssee.
At one point in the Pyrennees I thought he was going to abandon when he tried (and failed) to catch the lead group ahead.
He looked shattered that day.
But he came back - and that for me is what the TDF is all about.
ssddff

limerickman said:
The general consensus is that the 2006 TDF was the best TDF in the last decade in terms of excitment, unpredictability and the closeness of the end result (2006 was the tightest finish for top 3 since the TDF started in 1903).

Having watched ES and having read L'Equipe, Sunday Times (Paul Kimmage) and Bill Fotheringhams articles, they have said that 2006 TDF was "a great TDF".

Obviously the withdrawal of Basso, Ullrich, Vino and Mancebo was instrumental in the change in overall GC - but this TDF had some memorable stages and incidents.

Ras winning his stage at La Troussaire.
Landis dying at La Troussaire.
Landis winning at Morzine.
Schleck winning at Alp D'Huez.
McEwen dominating the sprints.
Hushovd nearly having his right arm amputated by a spectator.
Mercado winning his stage for Agritubel.
Fedrigo winning Bouyges first ever TDF stage (superb).
Pereiro coming back from his 28min deficit.
Jens Voigt's stage win (superb).
Hushovd winning the prologue and the Champs Elysee stages.
Cunego's ITT performance.
Freire's stages wins.
Rabobanks support all round performance.
And poor Erik Dekker and his injuries after that horrendous crash (and David Canada, Rik Verbrugge too).

Personally I was delighted to see Voekler today riding on the Champs Elyssee.
At one point in the Pyrennees I thought he was going to abandon when he tried (and failed) to catch the lead group ahead.
He looked shattered that day.
But he came back - and that for me is what the TDF is all about.
fddds

Status
Not open for further replies.