Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and realized it
was a biker and moved over. I've pondered for years why most bikers don't
have a bell or horn on their bike to use when overtaking a hiker or when
coming around a sharp curve. It doesn't have to be something that will wake
the dead; just something loud enough to hear 30 feet away.
Road Cycling · Public discussion
Finally I Meet An Intelligent Mountain Biker
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Road Cycling
- Published
- 17 October 2007
- Last activity
- 23 October 2007
- Original author
- Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS
- Posts
- 72
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 1,614
- Views / 30 days
- 19
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" <[email hidden]> wrote in
message news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and realized it
was a biker and moved over. I've pondered for years why most bikers don't
have a bell or horn on their bike to use when overtaking a hiker or when
coming around a sharp curve. It doesn't have to be something that will
wake
the dead; just something loud enough to hear 30 feet away.Well, I always thought my sqealing XT front v-brake was enough to give me
away instead of a bell. -
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ® said:
"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" <[email hidden]> wrote in
messagenews:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and realizedit
was a biker and moved over. I've pondered for years why most bikers don't
have a bell or horn on their bike to use when overtaking a hiker or when
coming around a sharp curve. It doesn't have to be something that will
wake
the dead; just something loud enough to hear 30 feet away.Well, I always thought my sqealing XT front v-brake was enough to give me
away instead of a bell.The voice works OK too. Trouble is the ped usually has an iPod bored
into their head. -
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS said:
Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and realized it
was a biker and moved over. I've pondered for years why most bikers don't
have a bell or horn on their bike to use when overtaking a hiker or when
coming around a sharp curve. It doesn't have to be something that will wake
the dead; just something loud enough to hear 30 feet away.Mikey? Is that you?
Anyway, I've got one of those devices. It's got a wide range of
tones, warnings and an adjustable volume control. It's also operated
hands free. I call it "my voice". I was going to get a patent, but
it seems I'm not the only one who has come up with this. Alas. -
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS said:
Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and realized it
was a biker and moved over. I've pondered for years why most bikers don't
have a bell or horn on their bike to use when overtaking a hiker or when
coming around a sharp curve. It doesn't have to be something that will wake
the dead; just something loud enough to hear 30 feet away.Maybe if you keep at it long enough you'll even meet an intelligent
hiker someday. -
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 02:19:05 -0700, [email hidden]
Quoted message said:
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ® said:
"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" <[email hidden]> wrote in
messagenews:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and realized it
was a biker and moved over. I've pondered for years why most bikers don't
have a bell or horn on their bike to use when overtaking a hiker or when
coming around a sharp curve. It doesn't have to be something that will
wake
the dead; just something loud enough to hear 30 feet away.Well, I always thought my sqealing XT front v-brake was enough to give me
away instead of a bell.The voice works OK too. Trouble is the ped usually has an iPod bored
into their head.That really is a problem. My bell doesn't seem to penetrate at all.
Yelling sort of does the job. I think the old airhorn might be
necessary. I think I'll order one. -
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS said:
Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and realized it
was a biker and moved over.I have a bell on the fixed gear I do laps with on the greenways--and
I'm not very bright. Don't make grand assumptions that us dingers are
smart./reinserts finger into nostril
-
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS said:
Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and realized it
was a biker and moved over. I've pondered for years why most bikers don't
have a bell or horn on their bike to use when overtaking a hiker or when
coming around a sharp curve.You don't think a verbal greeting is at least as effective as a
little bell?Dana
-
Dana Myers said:
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS said:
Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and realized it
was a biker and moved over. I've pondered for years why most bikers don't
have a bell or horn on their bike to use when overtaking a hiker or when
coming around a sharp curve.You don't think a verbal greeting is at least as effective as a
little bell?no.
-
Dana Myers <[email hidden]> wrote in
news:[email hidden]:Quoted message said:
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS said:
Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and
realized it was a biker and moved over. I've pondered for years why
most bikers don't have a bell or horn on their bike to use when
overtaking a hiker or when coming around a sharp curve.You don't think a verbal greeting is at least as effective as a
little bell?Dana
No - i don't want to hear some biker telling me to get outta the way.
-
"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" wrote: No - i don't want to hear
some biker telling me to get outta the way.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You find, "On your left, please," abrasive or pushy? -
Two of us rode up behind an old couple that were walking side-by-side on a
multi-use trail. I guess our bikes were pretty quiet-- they didn't notice
us for several seconds, and we just rolled along behind them. Suddenly, the
woman saw us and they moved aside, while she said, in a German accent: "You
need a kling-aling; a good Churman kling-a-ling." -
:
Quoted message said:
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ® said:
"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" <[email hidden]> wrote in
messagenews:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and realized it
was a biker and moved over. I've pondered for years why most bikers don't
have a bell or horn on their bike to use when overtaking a hiker or when
coming around a sharp curve. It doesn't have to be something that will
wake
the dead; just something loud enough to hear 30 feet away.Well, I always thought my sqealing XT front v-brake was enough to give me
away instead of a bell.The voice works OK too. Trouble is the ped usually has an iPod bored
into their head.For which, only the air horn from an 18-wheeler will penetrate the sonic
fortress around the ped's ears....--
"Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS," supports letting
drunks drive:"Yup - another scam by the automakers to increase car
prices and thereby profits for themeselves."--"Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS," 3/27/07
Ref: http://snipurl.com/1dwi4
Message ID: [email hidden] -
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS said:
Dana Myers <[email hidden]> wrote in
news:[email hidden]:Quoted message said:
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS said:
Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and
realized it was a biker and moved over. I've pondered for years why
most bikers don't have a bell or horn on their bike to use when
overtaking a hiker or when coming around a sharp curve.
You don't think a verbal greeting is at least as effective as a
little bell?Dana
No - i don't want to hear some biker telling me to get outta the way.
So you'd prefer a blast of a horn instead? I didn't think
you made sense to begin with, now I *know* you don't.Dana
-
Leo Lichtman said:
"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" wrote: No - i don't want to hear
some biker telling me to get outta the way.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You find, "On your left, please," abrasive or pushy?Apparently, he/she prefers a horn blast to a polite
"on your left". Odd.Dana
-
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS said:
Dana Myers <[email hidden]> wrote innews:[email hidden]:
Quoted message said:
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS said:
Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and
realized it was a biker and moved over. I've pondered for years why
most bikers don't have a bell or horn on their bike to use when
overtaking a hiker or when coming around a sharp curve.Quoted message said:
You don't think a verbal greeting is at least as effective as a
little bell?Quoted message said:
Dana
No - i don't want to hear some biker telling me to get outta the way.
I've got a bell on a couple of my bikes. I find "Excuse me" or better
yet, "bicycle" to be FAR more effective.- Frank Krygowski
-
Someone:
Quoted message said:
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS said:
Dana Myers <[email hidden]> wrote innews:[email hidden]:
Quoted message said:
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and
> realized it was a biker and moved over. I've pondered for years why
> most bikers don't have a bell or horn on their bike to use when
> overtaking a hiker or when coming around a sharp curve.Quoted message said:
You don't think a verbal greeting is at least as effective as a
little bell?Quoted message said:
Dana
No - i don't want to hear some biker telling me to get outta the way.
I've got a bell on a couple of my bikes. I find "Excuse me" or better
yet, "bicycle" to be FAR more effective.IF for some reason I encounter a pedestrian (or even another bicycle)
that I have to pass at close range, I find a simple, "on your left," or,
"on you right," (as appropriate) to be effective. No need for a horn or
bell to startle people (unless, of course, they have the ipod or
bluetooth buried in their ear). -
On Oct 17, 2:51 pm, "Leo Lichtman" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
Two of us rode up behind an old couple that were walking side-by-side on a
multi-use trail. I guess our bikes were pretty quiet-- they didn't notice
us for several seconds, and we just rolled along behind them. Suddenly, the
woman saw us and they moved aside, while she said, in a German accent: "You
need a kling-aling; a good Churman kling-a-ling."Ja! All bikes need a kling-a-ling. At least on bike paths. I have a
bell on my fast bike for this reason. My city bike is bell-less, so if
I use it on the bike/ped path, I resort to "ring ring" or
"brrrrrring!" or even "aaoooogah!" With the last one, people give you
scads of clearance! -
Dana Myers said:
Leo Lichtman said:
"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" wrote: No - i don't want to
hear some biker telling me to get outta the way. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You find, "On your left, please," abrasive or pushy?Apparently, he/she prefers a horn blast to a polite "on your left".
Odd.Spoken signals, even as polite as that, can be confusing. Just a little
ping from a regular bicycle bell is instantly recognised by many people
around the world as a sign that a cyclist is coming from behind. -
I carry a boat horn. Very, very loud.
What I like to do is sneak up on the poor victim. Get very close .. then
let em have it.Scares the [censored] out of em.
======================
"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" <[email hidden]> wrote in
message news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and realized it
was a biker and moved over. I've pondered for years why most bikers don't
have a bell or horn on their bike to use when overtaking a hiker or when
coming around a sharp curve. It doesn't have to be something that will
wake
the dead; just something loud enough to hear 30 feet away.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.