finding a good wheel builder

G.T. wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > You're right, Greg, using a truing stand, etc., is no easier than using
> > the bike frame to "build" wheels. I'm sorry I brought it up.
> >

> No one said it wasn't easier using a stand

But you did question why I referred to the "bike frame method" as the
"hard way", didn't you? If you agree that using a stand is easier, what
would you call the other method?

> (personally I wouldn't mind a
> truing stand mounted on a workbench so I wouldn't have to hunch over) but
> you said:
> "That's because you have actually tried doing it, as opposed to reading
> about it on the internet and passing the bad idea along as 'your own'."

And I said that to someone who said they found the "bike frame method"
unsatisfactory, didn't I? Not to you, or anyone else who is happy using
a bike frame to buil wheels. If you're happy, just carry on!

> Please tell us why it's such a bad idea. Are you worried for my back?

Have you ever used a truing stand, Greg, even a modestly priced on such
as a Minoura?

> Obs also said:
> "Sure, encourage folks to try to build wheels the hard way, leading to
> frustration and questionable results."
>
> The only time I've been frustrated is while I'm doing the initial lacing but
> with Sheldon's instructions that frustration is long gone. And my results
> are definitely not questionable.

Enjoy your wheels, Greg!

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:33:28 -0700, "G.T." <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The only time I've been frustrated is while I'm doing the initial lacing but
>with Sheldon's instructions that frustration is long gone.

Ditto that. I built my first wheel by just copying another (and using
a bike as a truing stand) and laced all of one side first. It was
super hard to get the spokes to reach the other side. But the wheel
came out fine in the end. Then I got the Brandt book which made things
a lot simpler.

A real truing stand (and dishing tool) make the job faster, but for
the first wheel it's no big deal to do it on the bike. If you like
the experience and think you'll build more, then buy a stand.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> jobst.brandt opined:
> > Someone sniped:

> > > That's because you have actually tried doing it, as opposed to
> > > reading about it on the internet and passing the bad idea along as
> > > "your own".

> > As I said, I built many wheels using the bicycle as truing stand
> > before someone gave me a stand. It's good practice to master this
> > because, when on the road with a wheel that needs truing for one
> > reason or the other, doing so is easy.
> >

> Roadside "emergencies" are hardly the same thing as routine
> wheelbuilding.
>

> > Sure, a truing stand and dishing tool are great conveniences but they
> > are not always available, much less a tensiometer. The point is that
> > lack of special equipment shouldn't deter one from building wheels.
> >

> Sure, encourage folks to try to build wheels the hard way, leading to
> frustration and questionable results. Next time, they'll slink off to
> the LBS with an open wallet.

Now you are speaking for other people.

--
Michael Press

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:33:28 -0700, "G.T." <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >The only time I've been frustrated is while I'm doing the initial lacing but
> >with Sheldon's instructions that frustration is long gone.

> Ditto that. I built my first wheel by just copying another (and using
> a bike as a truing stand) and laced all of one side first. It was
> super hard to get the spokes to reach the other side. But the wheel
> came out fine in the end. Then I got the Brandt book which made things
> a lot simpler.
>
> A real truing stand (and dishing tool) make the job faster, but for
> the first wheel it's no big deal to do it on the bike. If you like
> the experience and think you'll build more, then buy a stand.

All true. I bought a Park truing stand in '78/79 or thereabouts for
$129 (I think). A better version of that same stand is now $179.
Pretty minor inflation after 27 years, and it is still less than a pair
of Assos winter tights. I think tools in general are an incredible
good deal (with minor exceptions), so my vote is always to buy tools. I
had a little word-of-mouth wheel business way back when, so I earned
back the cost of the stand -- but even if I were just building for
myself/family, it was still worth it. Probably less worth it for the
current generation that is gravitating towards wheels that cannot be
fixed at home, though. -- Jay Beattie.

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:33:28 -0700, "G.T." <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >The only time I've been frustrated is while I'm doing the initial lacing but
> >with Sheldon's instructions that frustration is long gone.

> Ditto that. I built my first wheel by just copying another (and using
> a bike as a truing stand) and laced all of one side first. It was
> super hard to get the spokes to reach the other side. But the wheel
> came out fine in the end. Then I got the Brandt book which made things
> a lot simpler.
>
> A real truing stand (and dishing tool) make the job faster, but for
> the first wheel it's no big deal to do it on the bike. If you like
> the experience and think you'll build more, then buy a stand.

Agreed, and keep in mind that the process will be faster and easier
using a truing stand.

[email protected] wrote:
> Ron Ruff wrote:
> > Please detail the parts of this operation that become much easier when
> > a truing stand is used... I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

> No offense, but why not try it for yourself? Even an inexpensive stand
> might prove to be a revelation. If not, you can always return it.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to be collecting things. Have you
ever had the pleasure to check the cost of shipping fairly heavy items
to Hawaii? I also share a 300sq ft apartment with someone... I'm lucky
I don't have to leave my bike out in the rain...

Ron Ruff wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Ron Ruff wrote:
> > > Please detail the parts of this operation that become much easier when
> > > a truing stand is used... I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

> > No offense, but why not try it for yourself? Even an inexpensive stand
> > might prove to be a revelation. If not, you can always return it.

> Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to be collecting things. Have you
> ever had the pleasure to check the cost of shipping fairly heavy items
> to Hawaii? I also share a 300sq ft apartment with someone... I'm lucky
> I don't have to leave my bike out in the rain...

Well, something like a MinouraWorkman stand is less than $50 at
Nashbar, and AFAICT, shipping to HI is about $17. It folds flat, taking
up very little space. If you do much with your wheels, it might be
worthwhile. YMMV, of course.

> A real truing stand (and dishing tool) make the job faster, but for
> the first wheel it's no big deal to do it on the bike. If you like
> the experience and think you'll build more, then buy a stand.
>
> JT

So check me on this: building a wheel on the bike without a truing
stand is not purely owing to the lack of a truing stand more liable to
lead to 'frustration and questionable results'? :)

Indeed, for the first wheelset I built, I felt that proper instructions
owing to SB and JB were more an aid than the truing stand I'd gotten
ahold of for the job, and a lot cheaper too.

I'll go so far as to opine that given the SB page and perhaps the JB
book, and a bike, you're more likely to wind up with a good wheel as a
novice builder than if you have neither of these things but the nicest
possible truing stand in the world.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
>Michael Wileman wrote:
>> I've actually tried this (for truing) and found that it
>> leaves something to be desired on my bicycle.

>That's because you have actually tried doing it, as opposed to reading
>about it on the internet and passing the bad idea along as "your own".

No, it's not optimal, but it is workable.
Alex

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>Please detail the parts of this operation that become much easier when
>a truing stand is used... I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

Getting the wheel at a comfortable level is easier with a truing stand.
Adjusting the probes is easier on a truing stand. It's about convenience.
Alex