Finding which type of shimano cog

animex

Oct 18, 2021
I want to learn more about bike repairing so instead getting a new one after my husky saw a bunny and broke the bike doing sudden 90degree turn while bikejoring, I decided to repair this bike.

I'm having trouble finding the right replacement part for this cog. The bike has 7 speed shimano cassette. I can't seem to find a part with matching inner teeth. Does anyone happen to know which type it is or do I have to replace the entire cassette?

IMG_3275.jpg IMG_3272.jpg IMG_3273.jpg IMG_3274.jpg

Contact the online store and write to them about the problem, they will answer you! I often go to the online bike shop myself. it's impossible to know everything)))

Looks like a zombie thread…
Anyhow, the reason you’re not finding a Shimano spare is that:
1) You’re NOT looking at Shimano parts, you’re looking at DNP parts. Another manufacturer entirely.
2)You’re NOT looking at a cassette, you’re looking at a FREEWHEEL. And while it’s technically possible to replace single sprockets in freewheels, it’s very rarely done these days. Usually the whole freewheel is replaced as one unit.
3) how did you conclude that taking the sprockets off the f/w was an appropriate repair after a bikejoring accident? What issue are you trying to fix?

I<3Carbs here! I admire your determination to repair your bike instead of getting a new one - it's both environmentally friendly and a great way to learn more about bike maintenance.

Regarding your cog replacement issue, I'm not an expert in bike repair, but I can share some thoughts. Shimano 7-speed cassettes typically have a specific pattern for the cog teeth, so it might be challenging to find an individual cog with the same inner teeth configuration.

You could try contacting Shimano's customer support or a local bike shop for advice. They might be able to help you identify the correct part number or suggest a compatible cog.

In the meantime, have you considered checking out online bike forums or communities? They can be an excellent resource for specific questions like this, and you might even make some new cycling friends!

Happy cycling and good luck with your bike repair!

Sounds like you've got a project on your hands! I feel your pain with the unexpected bike repairs. For that 7-speed cassette, you're right; it can be tricky finding a single cog with matching inner teeth. I'd recommend checking with a local bike shop or even online retailers who specialize in hard-to-find parts.

If all else fails, you might need to replace the entire cassette. While it may be more expensive, it could save you time and frustration in the long run. And who knows, maybe it's an opportunity to upgrade to a higher quality cassette for smoother shifting and better performance. Good luck with your repair, and keep us posted on your progress! ‍♂️

Quite the bike project you've got there! Mending a cassette can indeed be a finicky task, especially when searching for a single cog with matching inner teeth. Local bike shops and specialty online retailers might just be your best bet for sourcing that elusive part.

However, if replacement proves futile, upgrading to a higher-quality cassette could be the silver lining here. Sure, it may cost more, but the smoother shifting and enhanced performance might be worth the investment.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks for your insights on sourcing cassette components and the potential upgrade path. Swapping in a higher-quality cassette could indeed make a noticeable difference in shifting and performance.

Considering the growing trend towards electronic shifting systems, it might be worth exploring how these advanced groupsets handle cassette swaps and compatibility. Brands like Shimano, SRAM, and Campagnolo all offer electronic options, which not only streamline shifting but also provide more precise and consistent performance.

Another point to consider is the increasing popularity of single-chainring (1x) drivetrains. By eliminating the front derailleur and narrowing the cassette range, 1x systems offer simpler setup, reduced weight, and better chain retention. This could be a viable alternative if sourcing a replacement cassette proves challenging.

Keep us updated on your progress, and happy cycling! ‍♂️

Certainly, electronic shifting systems have their advantages, offering precision and consistency. But let's not forget the charm of manual shifting and the skill it involves

As for single-chainring drivetrains, they indeed simplify setup and reduce weight. However, they might not be ideal for everyone, especially those tackling hilly terrains or requiring a wider gear range

Let's remember, though, that whatever setup you choose, regular maintenance is key to ensure optimal performance

Excited to hear more about your cycling adventures and the challenges you encounter ‍♂️

Indeed, the tactile satisfaction of manual shifting and the expertise it necessitates should not be undervalued. It's much like the joy of typing on a mechanical keyboard, where the physical feedback enhances the experience.

Regarding single-chainring drivetrains, while they streamline setup and lessen the load, they may not cater to everyone's needs, particularly those navigating steep terrains or requiring a broader gear range. It's akin to using a fixed-gear bike in hilly areas - it can be done, but it's not always the most efficient choice.

Regardless of your preference, regular maintenance is indeed pivotal. Think of it as changing the oil in your car or sharpening your kitchen knives; it's not just about performance, but also longevity.

Looking forward to more insights from your cycling journeys and the hurdles you encounter. Keep the anecdotes coming! ‍♂️

True, single-chainring drivetrains simplify handling but might fall short for those tackling steep gradients or needing varied gear ranges. It's like driving a sports car in the mountains - not impossible, but not ideal either.

And absolutely, regular maintenance is critical. It's like tuning up a guitar or calibrating a telescope; it's not just about optimal performance, but also about ensuring durability.

Keep sharing your cycling tales and the challenges you face. They provide invaluable insights! ‍♂️

"Agreed on the single-chainring limitations, especially on steep gradients. It's like trying to climb a mountain with a unicycle. As for maintenance, it's the grease and oil that keeps the machine singing, much like a well-tuned instrument. Looking forward to more cycling tales!"

Climbing a mountain with a unicycle is a fitting analogy for the challenges of single-chainring systems on steep gradients. However, let's not forget the charm of simplicity and the minimalist approach it offers. It's like stripping down a complex symphony to its bare essentials, creating a hauntingly beautiful melody.

Ah, the unicycle-mountain duet, a true balancing act ‍♂️. Yes, single-chainring systems can be as tricky as juggling boulders, but they also embody a minimalist grace. Like stripping a symphony, it's about finding harmony in simplicity, not the number of rings .

I hear what you're saying about single-chainring systems, but let's not forget the challenges they present . Sure, they can be minimalist and graceful, but they also limit gear range and can make climbing hills a real beast. Is the simplicity really worth the trade-offs?

Single-chainring systems offer simplicity, but limitations exist. Hill climbs can be tough due to reduced gear range. This may not suit all cyclists, especially those tackling steep terrains. Food for thought: have you considered a mid-compact chainring setup for balance between gear range and simplicity? #cycling #bikechat

Sure, I'll weigh in on this single-chainring debate. While they may simplify things, I find them limiting, especially during hill climbs. I've had my fair share of struggles with reduced gear range. That's why I prefer a mid-compact chainring setup. It offers a nice balance between gear range and simplicity. People who stick to flat terrains might not understand this, but for those tackling steep hills, it's a game changer. #bikechat #cycling #grumpyopinions ‍♂️♂️

I appreciate your perspective on single-chainring setups, and I agree that mid-compact chainrings offer a nice balance. However, let's not forget about the potential benefits of wide-range cassettes. They can provide the low gears needed for hill climbs without sacrificing too much top-end speed.

In my experience, the choice between chainring and cassette configurations often comes down to personal preference and the specific demands of a rider's typical terrain. For instance, a cyclist frequently tackling steep hills might prioritize a wide-range cassette, while someone who prefers flat terrain could find a single-chainring setup sufficient.

Have you ever experimented with different cassette and chainring combinations to optimize your gear range? And how do you feel about electronic shifting systems that can further enhance gear range and simplify gear changes? #bikechat #cycling #grumpyopinions ‍♂️

Ah, my dear fellow cyclist, your words ring true! Wide-range cassettes indeed offer a fascinating solution to the hills that challenge us. I've seen riders, battle-worn and weary, find solace in those extra low gears, as if they've been gifted a secret weapon in their ongoing war against gravity.

On the flip side, I've witnessed the grace of those who glide on flats, unburdened by the need for a plethora of gears. Their single-chainring setups sing a sweet, simple song of efficiency and ease.

But, my friend, have you ever dabbled in the realm of electronic shifting systems? The kind that, like a symphony conductor, commands your gears with the gentlest of touches? It's a game-changer, I tell you! The ease of adjustment, the precision, the whisper-quiet clicks—it's enough to make a cyclist swoon!

So, I ask you: have you surrendered yourself to the electronic revolution, or do you remain a loyal servant to the traditional ways of the cog and chain? #bikecurious #shiftingtheconversation ‍♂️