First Big Ride

doctorold

Dec 14, 2010
North Carolina
So I've got my new bike and I'm riding between 20-35 miles each time out given my time constraints. In ten days there is a local event that has three distances...30, 55, and 70 mile rides. Obviously I can do the 30 mile ride. I'm just wondering whether to do the 55 or 70. I'm leaning toward the 55 just to be safe. But do you think I'd be in over my head doing the 70? Should I wait till I'm doing 50's frequently? I'm working toward a century ride this summer. When I finish my rides these days, I am not tanked and feel like I can go lots more. Thoughts?

55 miles is what I'd go with. If you are already doing 35, you should probably try though to get at least a 40 or 45 miler in before the event.
I've got a 66 miler tomorrow. Most I've done up to now is approx. 43 miles....

Originally Posted by doctorold .

So I've got my new bike and I'm riding between 20-35 miles each time out given my time constraints. In ten days there is a local event that has three distances...30, 55, and 70 mile rides. Obviously I can do the 30 mile ride. I'm just wondering whether to do the 55 or 70. I'm leaning toward the 55 just to be safe. But do you think I'd be in over my head doing the 70? Should I wait till I'm doing 50's frequently? I'm working toward a century ride this summer. When I finish my rides these days, I am not tanked and feel like I can go lots more. Thoughts?

IMO, 70 would be pushing it. You can probably do 55 as long as you pace yourself and stay hydrated/nourished. If you have some friends in the race or the crowd, it pushes the motivation a bit too.

But at the end of the day, its all about your fitness level. If 35mi is an easy ride, then 55 should be quite doable on a race-day given the terrain and weather are in your favor.

Best of luck!

I agree. Do the 55 now, and then when you are riding 50's frequently, do the 70.

If you are going to do a century this summer, you better start getting in a couple of 50+ mile rides in a month and increase the number of them and the length of them on a regular basis.

I think I'm coming to my senses now. Appreciate the input. I just finished another 35 miler. I'm not exhausted but I am a touch tired. I did ride 23 yesterday and 21 the day before that. Legs probably need a short breather. I'm going to shoot for a 40-45 on monday or tuesday. I think the 55 next weekend is what I need to see where I am and where I need to be. I'm looking forward to it. It may tell me that I'm not going to be ready for a century this summer!

Don't sell yourself short Doc. ;-) Comfy bike, fitted ride, proper clothing, training and you might be able to pull it off. Coming from my much-experienced cyclist friend... "100mile ride is just long and tiring. You will have to push yourself to go that distance."

I am nowhere close to calling myself endurance rider but I recently started running and learned a very important lesson from runners. Don't push yourself too hard! Increasing speed/distance in short period is a bad idea. You want to spend same amount of energy every time and let the distance/speed increase through conditioning.

Noticed you are in NC... are you doing Trial by Fire?

I think it depends on how you ride.

Last year, after a couple months of training when I could (not as much as I would have liked), I embarked on a 7-day, 360-mile tour. At the start of Day One, I had never ridden more than 25 miles in one session. Day One was 55 miles, Day Two was 72 miles. Granted, I was incredibly sore after the first day, and the second had me going to bed at 8 PM. By Day Three, I was starting to recover and feel much better. Eventually, I figured out that just riding a couple MPH slower than what I trained at (I just used the next cog larger on my 2x6 speed), I had much more prolonged energy and endurance. The remaining days were much easier.

I bet you could do the 70-miler no problem if you ride a little easier. It's always tempting (at least to me) to push harder, but downshift, spin up and enjoy the ride!

Jason

Well, I thought about that and I'm actually torn. Part of me just wants to finish to see how I feel. Test the waters, so to speak. But there's part of me that wants to set a time goal and see if I can beat it (for the 55). I've been averaging 18 to 18.5 for my 35 milers so I'm thinking if I can knock out another hour like that I can finish in three hours. But factor in fatigue, conditions (could be very warm), course (haven't seen it yet), etc. No telling where I might end up. So I've given up on the 70 for this week. Baby steps!

Last minute training suggestions! The ride is Saturday....55 miles. Today is monday and I rode 40 miles this morning. What would you experienced riders suggest for the rest of the week?

You know what's weird. I'm sorta nervous about this ride and I have no clue why.

Last minute training suggestions! The ride is Saturday....55 miles. Today is monday and I rode 40 miles this morning. What would you experienced riders suggest for the rest of the week?

You know what's weird. I'm sorta nervous about this ride and I have no clue why.
How did you feel after the 40 mile ride this morning?

I wouldn't go for any more long rides this week. Maybe a couple of shorter (~25 miles), easy rides. Don't push yourself. That will let your legs and lungs recover more completely by Saturday, and you'll feel great during that ride--in theory, anyway.

Jason

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

How did you feel after the 40 mile ride this morning?
Felt pretty good. Wasn't worn out. But did feel a bit tired. Just took a short nap! I know I won't ride Friday. Just gotta decide what to do these next three days.

Just took a short nap! I know I won't ride Friday. Just gotta decide what to do these next three days. ...
Personally I'd take the easier or total rest days earlier in the week and get out on Friday for about an hour of moderate riding. Folks respond differently to rest, but a lot of folks don't feel great after total rest days and do better by getting their legs moving but not exhausting themselves the day before a bigger ride. Don't ride long or very hard and feed yourself well before, during, and especially after Friday's ride but I wouldn't suggest a total rest day on Friday.

-Dave

I'm actually thinking about taking tomorrow off. I'm still nursing some aches and pains from basketball this past Sunday night. A decent ride on Wednesday (24-28 miles) and then who knows Thurs and Fri? But I def see no reason to do another big ride before Saturday.

Felt pretty good. Wasn't worn out. But did feel a bit tired. Just took a short nap! I know I won't ride Friday. Just gotta decide what to do these next three days.
If you felt that good then I think you may be selling yourself short by only doing the 55 mile ride.

I'd go out and get some easy miles in - nothing hard. An hour or so just spinning the legs and getting some fresh air.

I can't tell you how many centuries I have done, and for me, I always rest two days before the event. I don't carb load or over eat, and I do make sure I am taking in enough water. Most of my co-hearts do the same, but I know a lot of ridders do a little spinning the day before. There is a rule of thumb that if you can do 75% of the miles in an event you can do the event. In other words in a century if you can do 75 miles reasonably well, you can do the century. Pace yourself and you will be fine. Have fun, ride safe and good luck.

Originally Posted by wotnoshoeseh .

55 miles is what I'd go with. If you are already doing 35, you should probably try though to get at least a 40 or 45 miler in before the event.
I've got a 66 miler tomorrow. Most I've done up to now is approx. 43 miles....

Well I did my 66 miler. I had a tough time over the last 10 miles or so. I think I had too good a pace for the first 55 miles (approx 16.5 mph). I dropped overall to 16.1 mph (averaged 13 mph for the last 10 miles or so) and was a tad tired and sore after the finish.
Overall though glad to have made it and it was a good result considering that prior to that I had only ridden 42-43 miles in one ride.

Got another one now on Sat April 2nd. 68 miles

Originally Posted by Phil85207 .

I can't tell you how many centuries I have done, and for me, I always rest two days before the event. I don't carb load or over eat, and I do make sure I am taking in enough water. Most of my co-hearts do the same, but I know a lot of ridders do a little spinning the day before. There is a rule of thumb that if you can do 75% of the miles in an event you can do the event. In other words in a century if you can do 75 miles reasonably well, you can do the century. Pace yourself and you will be fine. Have fun, ride safe and good luck.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm feeling pretty good about where I am, conditioning wise. I think it will come down to comfort. Haven't spent that kind of time on the saddle before. I felt pretty good after yesterday's 40 so according to your rule of thumb I should be OK. I think the things that worry me now are things like the bike. Granted, my bike is new and running great but in all my road cycling, thousands of miles (I'm going to jinx myself here) I've never had a flat tire. I've also never crashed. Now that I've written the words I'll probably experience both this weekend. My hope is that it would be an uneventful ride and be lots of fun.

If this is a fully supported ride with snacks & fluids at rest stops and a SAG wagon I'd go for the 70 miles. What better opportunity to push yourself?
I've found that it is mostly mental "what have I gotten myself into...I'm going to fail...why is my knee hurting..." after I went beyond my normal training miles. Your legs should be fine (sore but capable) for me it's my head and butt that give my the problems.

Sometimes you could tag onto a paceline, let them know you're rather new at this and maybe they'd help you out.

If the weather is iffy then go down to the lesser distance but it it's a beautiful day to ride then ride.