First Fixed Gear

brotopher

Aug 1, 2005
i recently bought my first fixed gear off ebay - its a centurion 'track' bike made around the early 80s...and i cant seem to find any information on it other than centurion changed to diamond back. this is the second centurion track bike ive seen on ebay ...so i know theyre out there, but how come no info?

ive searched a bunch of forums and google and found nothing except on the ironman and le mans.

thanks!
b

brotopher said:
i recently bought my first fixed gear off ebay - its a centurion 'track' bike made around the early 80s...and i cant seem to find any information on it other than centurion changed to diamond back. this is the second centurion track bike ive seen on ebay ...so i know theyre out there, but how come no info?

ive searched a bunch of forums and google and found nothing except on the ironman and le mans.

thanks!
b
no info sorry. Try looking at www.classicrendezvous.com

What did you pay for it? (I'm currently building a fixed gear bike from an old Raleigh frame, and wondering if it's worth all the effort!!) :rolleyes:

wheelist said:

What did you pay for it? (I'm currently building a fixed gear bike from an old Raleigh frame, and wondering if it's worth all the effort!!) :rolleyes:

i payed 305, i think its not bad. it was that or either a mercier for 350, or a pista for 550. i wanted something a little more vintage that reminded me of bikes when i was a kid. there are a ton of cool conversion bikes and parts on ebay and craigslist. i think it would be fun to custom build your own ride.

It's absolutely worth the effort. Two things: (i) I found that once I got my fixie, I hardly ever want to ride my road bike, unless it's a fast group ride, and (ii) after 1k miles on the fixie during the winter, my pedaling style improved immeasurably and that translated into significantly better results racing the next season.

Also, one thing that the fixie will show you - and I think it will be a surprise - is how much you coast on a road bike. When you get back on the road machine you'll find you tend to pedal through just about everything.

wheelist said: