fixed gear inqiery

imalightweight

Feb 8, 2013
so, i know when riding a normal geared road bike form is Super important, even a rocking in your hips means the bike is incorectly adjusted, and if you rock the bike back and forth(side to side) during heavy peddling you either have very bad form or you must be exhuasted, so when i see videos of fixed gear riders throwing their bike side to side as they work their way down the street does it mean they also have poor form, or does it not apply? haha

Do you think that the riders whom you observed were accelerating OR were they simply trying to maintain a particular pace?

they were going fast, im not sure if they were accelerating or just keeping up the pace but it just looks so sloppy, i know alot of fixed gear riders arent as serious about fitness or form but i cant help but feel like they are doing something wrong

Sight unseen, I suspect that the riders had a taller gear ratio than they could otherwise pedal easily & so were putting in the same effort as a rider would if s/he could choose the best gear for the condition(s).

by form you mean bike fit,, when people accelerate standing on the pedals, the bike moves side to side, that is normal but not easy to learn,

"Sight unseen, I suspect that the riders had a taller gear ratio than they could otherwise pedal easily & so were putting in the same effort as a rider would if s/he could choose the best gear for the condition(s)."

What he said.

"stnding and peadling is a more dificult task?"

As a rule, the body consumes more O2 while standing and pedaling, as opposed to sitting. All things being equal, the body is performing more work.