First meal date - ideas please

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Sep 28, 2005.

  1. I was wondering whether anybody can help me. In the near future, I
    shall be cooking a meal (for the first time) for a very special lady.
    The thing is, I am no expert at this type of thing, and I have no idea
    about what to cook for her. She tells me that she is "not fussy" and
    will eat "just about anything" - which leaves the ball very firmly in
    my court. However, I'm sure that if I provide something uninteresting
    like pasta, she'll think I'm devoid of originality. Have any of you
    any suggestions as to what I can cook - or more importantly what not
    to? I can do my bit in the kitchen, but sadly I'm used to the bachelor
    way of doing it!

    Tags:

  2. aem

    aem Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I was wondering whether anybody can help me. In the near future, I
    > shall be cooking a meal (for the first time) for a very special lady.
    > The thing is, I am no expert at this type of thing, and I have no idea
    > about what to cook for her. She tells me that she is "not fussy" and
    > will eat "just about anything" - which leaves the ball very firmly in
    > my court. However, I'm sure that if I provide something uninteresting
    > like pasta, she'll think I'm devoid of originality. Have any of you
    > any suggestions as to what I can cook - or more importantly what not
    > to? I can do my bit in the kitchen, but sadly I'm used to the bachelor
    > way of doing it!

    Under the circumstances I'd recommend you cook something you already
    have experience with and concentrate your efforts on presentation.
    Think about how you're going to serve the meal, table decorations,
    plate arrangements, a special dessert (even if it's bought). It's just
    too chancy to try to cook something new and fancy. -aem

  3. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I was wondering whether anybody can help me. In the near future, I
    > shall be cooking a meal (for the first time) for a very special lady.
    > The thing is, I am no expert at this type of thing, and I have no idea
    > about what to cook for her. She tells me that she is "not fussy" and
    > will eat "just about anything" - which leaves the ball very firmly in
    > my court. However, I'm sure that if I provide something uninteresting
    > like pasta, she'll think I'm devoid of originality. Have any of you
    > any suggestions as to what I can cook - or more importantly what not
    > to? I can do my bit in the kitchen, but sadly I'm used to the bachelor
    > way of doing it!

    Champagne
    Salad
    Champagne
    Porterhouse
    Baked potato
    Champagne
    Pistachios
    Chocolate
    Champagne

    Sheldon

  4. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Sheldon wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > I was wondering whether anybody can help me. In the near future, I
    > > shall be cooking a meal (for the first time) for a very special lady.
    > > The thing is, I am no expert at this type of thing, and I have no idea
    > > about what to cook for her. She tells me that she is "not fussy" and
    > > will eat "just about anything" - which leaves the ball very firmly in
    > > my court. However, I'm sure that if I provide something uninteresting
    > > like pasta, she'll think I'm devoid of originality. Have any of you
    > > any suggestions as to what I can cook - or more importantly what not
    > > to? I can do my bit in the kitchen, but sadly I'm used to the bachelor
    > > way of doing it!

    > Champagne
    > Salad
    > Champagne
    > Porterhouse
    > Baked potato
    > Champagne
    > Pistachios
    > Chocolate
    > Champagne
    >

    > Sheldon

    LOL. Great menu :)

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  5. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > I was wondering whether anybody can help me. In the near future, I
    > > shall be cooking a meal (for the first time) for a very special lady.
    > > The thing is, I am no expert at this type of thing, and I have no idea
    > > about what to cook for her. She tells me that she is "not fussy" and
    > > will eat "just about anything" - which leaves the ball very firmly in
    > > my court. However, I'm sure that if I provide something uninteresting
    > > like pasta, she'll think I'm devoid of originality. Have any of you
    > > any suggestions as to what I can cook - or more importantly what not
    > > to? I can do my bit in the kitchen, but sadly I'm used to the bachelor
    > > way of doing it!

    > Champagne
    > Salad
    > Champagne
    > Porterhouse
    > Baked potato
    > Champagne
    > Pistachios
    > Chocolate
    > Champagne
    >

    > Sheldon

    I like your menu Sheldon, but somewhere in there you should open up a bottle
    of champagne!

    kili

  6. On 28 Sep 2005 10:59:28 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    >I was wondering whether anybody can help me. In the near future, I
    >shall be cooking a meal (for the first time) for a very special lady.
    >The thing is, I am no expert at this type of thing, and I have no idea
    >about what to cook for her. She tells me that she is "not fussy" and
    >will eat "just about anything" - which leaves the ball very firmly in
    >my court. However, I'm sure that if I provide something uninteresting
    >like pasta, she'll think I'm devoid of originality. Have any of you
    >any suggestions as to what I can cook - or more importantly what not
    >to? I can do my bit in the kitchen, but sadly I'm used to the bachelor
    >way of doing it!

    Well for starters, you can stop shooting yourself in the foot before
    you even get started. If she wants originality, she can buy a one of a
    kind painting. Make something easy. I would suggest:

    Surf n Turf

    Steak and some type of sea food
    salad
    Crusty bread
    string beans or a baked potato
    some red or white wine

    Follow this up with a few hours of soft dance music on the radio while
    sitting on cushions eating cooled seedless grapes and strawberries
    dipped in chocolate or whipped cream by candle light in the living
    room.

    Trust me on this.

  7. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    kilikini wrote:
    > "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > [email protected] wrote:
    > > > I was wondering whether anybody can help me. In the near future, I
    > > > shall be cooking a meal (for the first time) for a very special lady.
    > > > The thing is, I am no expert at this type of thing, and I have no idea
    > > > about what to cook for her. She tells me that she is "not fussy" and
    > > > will eat "just about anything" - which leaves the ball very firmly in
    > > > my court. However, I'm sure that if I provide something uninteresting
    > > > like pasta, she'll think I'm devoid of originality. Have any of you
    > > > any suggestions as to what I can cook - or more importantly what not
    > > > to? I can do my bit in the kitchen, but sadly I'm used to the bachelor
    > > > way of doing it!

    > > Champagne
    > > Salad
    > > Champagne
    > > Porterhouse
    > > Baked potato
    > > Champagne
    > > Pistachios
    > > Chocolate
    > > Champagne
    > >

    > > Sheldon
    > >

    > I like your menu Sheldon, but somewhere in there you should open up a bottle
    > of champagne!
    >
    > kili

    Hehe, you gotta pop my cork. ;)

    Sheldon

  8. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    www. ttdown. com wrote:
    > On 28 Sep 2005 10:59:28 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > >I was wondering whether anybody can help me. In the near future, I
    > >shall be cooking a meal (for the first time) for a very special lady.
    > >The thing is, I am no expert at this type of thing, and I have no idea
    > >about what to cook for her. She tells me that she is "not fussy" and
    > >will eat "just about anything" - which leaves the ball very firmly in
    > >my court. However, I'm sure that if I provide something uninteresting
    > >like pasta, she'll think I'm devoid of originality. Have any of you
    > >any suggestions as to what I can cook - or more importantly what not
    > >to? I can do my bit in the kitchen, but sadly I'm used to the bachelor
    > >way of doing it!

    > Well for starters, you can stop shooting yourself in the foot before
    > you even get started. If she wants originality, she can buy a one of a
    > kind painting. Make something easy. I would suggest:
    >
    > Surf n Turf
    >
    > Steak and some type of sea food

    Never serve seafood on a first date... just give her lots of beef.

    Sheldon

  9. JimLane

    JimLane Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I was wondering whether anybody can help me. In the near future, I
    > shall be cooking a meal (for the first time) for a very special lady.
    > The thing is, I am no expert at this type of thing, and I have no idea
    > about what to cook for her. She tells me that she is "not fussy" and
    > will eat "just about anything" - which leaves the ball very firmly in
    > my court. However, I'm sure that if I provide something uninteresting
    > like pasta, she'll think I'm devoid of originality. Have any of you
    > any suggestions as to what I can cook - or more importantly what not
    > to? I can do my bit in the kitchen, but sadly I'm used to the bachelor
    > way of doing it!

    I'll echo something that you do and do well and concentrate on the
    setting. Whether or not champaign works with it is your call.

    jim

  10. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > kilikini wrote:
    > > "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    lady.

    idea

    and

    in

    uninteresting

    bachelor

    > > > Champagne
    > > > Salad
    > > > Champagne
    > > > Porterhouse
    > > > Baked potato
    > > > Champagne
    > > > Pistachios
    > > > Chocolate
    > > > Champagne
    > > >

    > > > Sheldon
    > > >

    > > I like your menu Sheldon, but somewhere in there you should open up a

    bottle
    > > of champagne!
    > >
    > > kili

    > Hehe, you gotta pop my cork. ;)
    >
    > Sheldon

    ROFL - Damn, I should have thought of that first! :~)

    kili

  11. jake

    jake Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > I was wondering whether anybody can help me. In the near future, I
    > shall be cooking a meal (for the first time) for a very special lady.
    > The thing is, I am no expert at this type of thing, and I have no idea
    > about what to cook for her. She tells me that she is "not fussy" and
    > will eat "just about anything" - which leaves the ball very firmly in
    > my court. However, I'm sure that if I provide something uninteresting
    > like pasta, she'll think I'm devoid of originality. Have any of you
    > any suggestions as to what I can cook - or more importantly what not
    > to? I can do my bit in the kitchen, but sadly I'm used to the bachelor
    > way of doing it!

    Whatever you dom, chocolate mousse for dessert. store bought is fine as
    long as you get a qualtiy brand (maybe try it first). Do serve it such a
    way that you can't tell it was fro the store.

    Do keep things easy for yourself. I've been known to get tto ambitious
    and awanting to impress through my cooking that I became bvad at
    conversation and being attentive (which is they key, really).

    And I'd stay away for very heavy meals, she might be watching het diet
    (,lotsa women do). So maybe an easy salad with vainaigrette (oil +
    vingar+ a touch of mustard), steak and bread or potatoes. I'd get easy
    starters form the storem, too. Marinated artichoeks, olives, sun blushed
    tomatoes, things like that.

    If you find getting all the foods reay at the same time complivated,
    consider baked dishes. Maybe lasagne and salad?

  12. axlq

    axlq Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I was wondering whether anybody can help me. In the near future, I
    >shall be cooking a meal (for the first time) for a very special lady.
    >The thing is, I am no expert at this type of thing, and I have no idea

    If your expertise is so low that this is your first-ever cooking
    experience, then I suggest you see a professional and have a dinner
    catered in -- at least the more challenging parts.

    -A

  13. On 28 Sep 2005 10:59:28 -0700, in rec.food.cooking,
    [email protected] hit the crackpipe and declared:
    >I was wondering whether anybody can help me. In the near future, I
    >shall be cooking a meal (for the first time) for a very special lady.
    >The thing is, I am no expert at this type of thing, and I have no idea
    >about what to cook for her. She tells me that she is "not fussy" and
    >will eat "just about anything" - which leaves the ball very firmly in
    >my court. However, I'm sure that if I provide something uninteresting
    >like pasta, she'll think I'm devoid of originality. Have any of you
    >any suggestions as to what I can cook - or more importantly what not
    >to? I can do my bit in the kitchen, but sadly I'm used to the bachelor
    >way of doing it!

    Lean back from the table, pull out your cock and slap it on the table.
    Yell "IT'S DINNERTIME, BITCH!"....then get up and shove it into the
    shocked "O" of her mouth.

  14. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > www. ttdown. com wrote:
    > > On 28 Sep 2005 10:59:28 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > > >I was wondering whether anybody can help me. In the near future, I
    > > >shall be cooking a meal (for the first time) for a very special lady.
    > > >The thing is, I am no expert at this type of thing, and I have no idea
    > > >about what to cook for her. She tells me that she is "not fussy" and
    > > >will eat "just about anything" - which leaves the ball very firmly in
    > > >my court. However, I'm sure that if I provide something uninteresting
    > > >like pasta, she'll think I'm devoid of originality. Have any of you
    > > >any suggestions as to what I can cook - or more importantly what not
    > > >to? I can do my bit in the kitchen, but sadly I'm used to the bachelor
    > > >way of doing it!

    > > Well for starters, you can stop shooting yourself in the foot before
    > > you even get started. If she wants originality, she can buy a one of a
    > > kind painting. Make something easy. I would suggest:
    > >
    > > Surf n Turf
    > >
    > > Steak and some type of sea food

    > Never serve seafood on a first date... just give her lots of beef.
    >
    > Sheldon

    <snort>
    You are SO bad Shel'! ;-)
    --
    Om.

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    jake <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > I was wondering whether anybody can help me. In the near future, I
    > > shall be cooking a meal (for the first time) for a very special lady.
    > > The thing is, I am no expert at this type of thing, and I have no idea
    > > about what to cook for her. She tells me that she is "not fussy" and
    > > will eat "just about anything" - which leaves the ball very firmly in
    > > my court. However, I'm sure that if I provide something uninteresting
    > > like pasta, she'll think I'm devoid of originality. Have any of you
    > > any suggestions as to what I can cook - or more importantly what not
    > > to? I can do my bit in the kitchen, but sadly I'm used to the bachelor
    > > way of doing it!
    > >

    > Whatever you dom, chocolate mousse for dessert. store bought is fine as
    > long as you get a qualtiy brand (maybe try it first). Do serve it such a
    > way that you can't tell it was fro the store.
    >
    > Do keep things easy for yourself. I've been known to get tto ambitious
    > and awanting to impress through my cooking that I became bvad at
    > conversation and being attentive (which is they key, really).
    >

    > And I'd stay away for very heavy meals, she might be watching het diet
    > (,lotsa women do). So maybe an easy salad with vainaigrette (oil +
    > vingar+ a touch of mustard), steak and bread or potatoes. I'd get easy
    > starters form the storem, too. Marinated artichoeks, olives, sun blushed
    > tomatoes, things like that.
    >
    > If you find getting all the foods reay at the same time complivated,
    > consider baked dishes. Maybe lasagne and salad?

    Chocolate is an aphrodesiac..... (sp?)
    --
    Om.

  16. Alan S

    Alan S Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I was wondering whether anybody can help me. In the near future, I
    > shall be cooking a meal (for the first time) for a very special lady.
    > The thing is, I am no expert at this type of thing, and I have no idea
    > about what to cook for her. She tells me that she is "not fussy" and
    > will eat "just about anything" - which leaves the ball very firmly in
    > my court. However, I'm sure that if I provide something uninteresting
    > like pasta, she'll think I'm devoid of originality. Have any of you
    > any suggestions as to what I can cook - or more importantly what not
    > to? I can do my bit in the kitchen, but sadly I'm used to the bachelor
    > way of doing it!
    >
    >Man, pick up a six pack of Lone Star beer and a couple of Big Mac's. She'll
    >love you for it! ... No seriously, there are a lot of really amazingly good
    >recipes that are very simple. Quality ingredients are essential:

    Appetizers:
    1) 1 block of cream cheese with a bottle of Pick-A-Peppa sauce poured over
    it with crackers. You will be surprised at how good that is.
    2) 1 Bag of tortilla chips with a quality salsa and slices of cheddar cheese
    3) 1 port wine cheese log with crackers. I like whole wheat crackers for
    that one. If you don't like port wine cheese logs, just set out some
    crackers with a nice Havarti or a nice Cheddar, or both.
    4) 1 bag tortilla chips - 2 Avocados smashed up with salsa and lime juice to
    taste

    Salad:
    1) Chopped Lettuce, grated Carrots, fresh Spinach and/or Arugula, sprouts,
    chopped Apples, chopped walnuts and red wine or balsamic vinaigrette
    2) Cottage cheese with cling peaches on top with black pepper
    3) Chunks of mixed types of fruit cut up into a bowl with chopped walnuts
    and a lime squeezed over it

    Main course:

    Red Meat -
    1) Get two well marbled Rib Eye steaks 1.5 inches thick, dump worsteshire
    sauce on them and then dust them with course black pepper, Broil for 6
    minutes each side. While they are broiling, steam some asparagus, and melt
    some butter in a pan with a half a lemon squeezed in it. Pour the lemon
    butter on the asparagus when served. Baked potatoes with butter and sour
    cream go well with this.
    2) Take a glass baking dish and pour a beer in it. dump in a teaspoon of
    worsteshire and 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce. Add three or four GOOD Quality
    sausages and bake for 20 minutes at 350 (cheap sausage would be a mistake).
    Serve with good mustard and kraut. (find out if she likes kraut first) If
    she doesn't like kraut, scratch it and the mustard and serve with bar-b-que
    sauce. That goes well with store bought potato salad and steamed green beans
    with butter and black pepper.
    3) Take some butterflied pork loin chops and put cooked stove top cornbread
    stuffing in the middle of them and tie them up with bakers string. Bake in a
    covered dish at 325 for 20 minutes. Paint them with bar-b-cue sauce and bake
    them for another ten minutes uncovered. While they are cooking, quarter some
    small new potatoes and boil them until soft. drain them and dust them with
    Cajun Seasoning or Seasoned Salt. Serve with Cheddar and French bread.

    Chicken-
    1) Take some chicken breasts and marinade them in your refrigerator over
    night in Italian dressing. Bake them until white all the way through (20 or
    30 minutes at 350) and serve them over buttered rice with peas mixed into
    it. While they are cooking, steam some carrots until they are soft and drain
    them. Add some butter, some maple syrup and some black pepper to the carrots
    and stir them up. Fry some Zucchini or Squash slices in Italian dressing
    until done.
    2) Take a whole chicken and put it in a glass baking dish with a lid. Cover
    it with Tamari sauce until it is about 1/2 inch deep in the dish. Cover the
    chicken with lots of Rosemary and bake for 50 minutes at 350. Serve with the
    Cornbread you can buy in the tubes that pop open from your grocery store and
    fresh peas with butter and pepper.

    Fish-
    1) Mix 1/4 cup melted butter, 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard, and 1 and 1/2
    tablespoons honey and spread it all over a nice 1/2 pound Salmon filet. Next
    take a 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs, and four
    teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley mixed up and sprinkle liberally over
    the salmon. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 or 15 minutes until flaky. This one
    is an amazingly tasty recipe! Serve with vegetable of choice and fresh
    bread.
    2) If you have access to an outdoor cooker/burner, this is a simple and very
    tasty meal neither of you will soon forget. You will need to get a couple of
    Dungeness crabs (any crab works, but Dungeness is the best if you can get
    them, King Crab or Snow Crab is good too) and 1/2 pound of fresh shrimp. Put
    a couple of gallons of water in a big pot and throw in a bunch of new
    potatoes, 6 half ears of corn, 1/2 pound of sliced Andouille sausage (if you
    can get it, if not any GOOD quality sausage will work) and a bag of good,
    spicy crab boil. Boil it until the potatoes are soft and then toss in the
    crabs. Boil for one minute and then toss in the shrimp. Boil for another
    three minutes and turn off the fire. You will have boiled the crabs for a
    total of 4 minutes, that is important. Drain it all and then dump it in the
    middle of the table on butcher paper. Put out some cocktail sauce and melted
    butter and enjoy! I use a rolling pin to break up the crabs.

    Dessert-
    1) Get some of those Nestle toll house cookies they sell in the refrigerated
    section of your grocery store. You can make them any time and they are easy,
    fast, and tasty!
    2) Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream! The premier, frozen dairy
    confection (although I have to admit, some of this Gelato stuff that has
    been showing up lately is mighty god!)

  17. George

    George Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > ... she'll think I'm devoid of originality.

    Something unoriginal done well is far better than something original done
    badly.

    George

  18. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    projectile vomit chick wrote:
    > On 28 Sep 2005 10:59:28 -0700, in rec.food.cooking,
    > [email protected] hit the crackpipe and declared:
    > >I was wondering whether anybody can help me. In the near future, I
    > >shall be cooking a meal (for the first time) for a very special lady.
    > >The thing is, I am no expert at this type of thing, and I have no idea
    > >about what to cook for her. She tells me that she is "not fussy" and
    > >will eat "just about anything" - which leaves the ball very firmly in
    > >my court. However, I'm sure that if I provide something uninteresting
    > >like pasta, she'll think I'm devoid of originality. Have any of you
    > >any suggestions as to what I can cook - or more importantly what not
    > >to? I can do my bit in the kitchen, but sadly I'm used to the bachelor
    > >way of doing it!

    > Lean back from the table, pull out your cock and slap it on the table.
    > Yell "IT'S DINNERTIME, BITCH!"....then get up and shove it into the
    > shocked "O" of her mouth.

    I left an impression, eh?

    Sheldon

  19. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > my court. However, I'm sure that if I provide something uninteresting
    > like pasta, she'll think I'm devoid of originality.

    Save originality for your bedroom adventures. Make something tasty that
    you're comfortable cooking. If she's worth the effort and you hit it
    off, there'll be time enough for originality. I'd love a well-prepared
    pasta dish. Something that's not too messy to eat, perhaps. JMO. A
    nice green salad, good bread. Good dessert. Enjoy the evening.
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-26-05

  20. Caradon

    Caradon Guest