First Road Bike Purchase

jthompson190

Jul 19, 2011
Hello everyone I'm new to this site, but i was hoping for some help in my first bike purchase.

Currently I'm riding an old steel frame AMF pursuit, and was thinking of upgrading. I ride only a few times a week, but on the weekends I've been averaging about 30 miles, and I was considering commuting to work as well, which is about 15 miles I believe. Also there are quite a few hills in my area which I understand changes the type of gear set I would likely get, however I make do with the 10 speed AMF.

My two main choices that look decent for what I want and fall within my price range are a Jamis Ventura Sport, or the Trek Lane. However the Jamis Ventura Comp is also an idea as it falls withing the price range of the Trek Lane.

The Sport caught my eye because it seems to be decent weight and comparable to the more expensive Comp, and bikes like the Trek Lane but is a few hundred dollars cheaper. I'd also like the ability to attack racks and panniers in the event that I want to go on a longer trip.

I'm hoping to spend close to or less than 1,000 for a decent road bike as I am new to the sport and live in alaska so my riding season is a bit short lol. If you have any recommendations for a first bike within my price range or any thoughts on the Jamis or Trek bikes ive mentioned it would be much appreciated.

Sorry to be of no help to you since I too am a new rider but there is a forum dedicated to buying bikes, I think you'd be better off there. The kind of bike your looking for is what's called a Hybrid or a Commuter not a full blown Road bike there's huge difference in what there made for.

There is a lot to what Armstrong says: It's Not About the Bike.

Its a people world. It's about the people: the ones in the bike shop you're going to buy frOm.

THEy, are the ones who should be couseling with you about what bike to buy.

They are the ones who are going to fIx the bike after it gets worn out a little bit.

Take your existing bike in to them and have them fix some significant thing(s).
Be willing to pay them well for their service and parts. Let them knOw you are willing to compensate them at full price for what they do. See how they handle your business.

If they act like you're below their caste, that's probably the way they are going to treat you all the way down the line. If they don't, or won't, do it, you probably should not buy from them.

Even if you buy on line, sOmeone there should be willing and able to listen to all your ******** and
help you find the exact right bike for you.

Think of it this way: If they are unwilling to help and spend time with you befOre the purchase,
how much worse do you do you think they are going to treat you After?

And, from Paul Khoury Men's Wear in La Salle, IL:

"The bitterness of low quality lasts far longer than the sweetness of low price."

I suggest Big Shark Bikes. www.bigshark.com

But then, I'm

Not Sure

Yea I realized there was a buying advice section after i posted this. haha like i said, im a newbie.

But thanks for the info :D