First trip to Aldi's

Tara wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 20:59:54 GMT, sarah bennett
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I do most of my shopping there. I literally do not know how we would
>>survive without being able to buy things as cheap as they sell them there.

> Do you have any particular favorites or items you avoid?
>
> Tara

I avoid certain produce items(issues with quality), do not buy milk
(cheaper elsewhere), or meat (ditto, except for chicken), and I have not
tried many of the mixes and ready-to-heat frozen stuff, but that's just
because I don't buy that sort of thing. I have had no issues with
quality other than the produce- and the store I frequent just put in a
refrigerated case for the produce, so I may try some more things now. I
tend to buy very basic things, though, because I cook 90% of our food
from scratch.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Doug Weller <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:30:04 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, Rhonda Anderson
> wrote:
>
>>Do most of the supermarkets in the US have
>>someone other than the cashier packing the groceries? What about those
>>of you in other countries?

> It varies in the UK. Typically you do it yourself, some supermarkets
> ask if you want help. Some the cashier does it although I usually take
> over to speed things up. But having someone else do it is not usual.

The way the checkouts are set up in most supermarkets I've been to here, it
wouldn't be possible to take over packing the groceries. The bag is between
the checkout operator and the scanner, on their side of the counter. They
scan the items and put them straight in to the bag.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

In article <[email protected]>,
Rhonda Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
> This has made me curious. Do most of the supermarkets in the US have
> someone other than the cashier packing the groceries?

Rhonda, at the places where I regularly trade I pack my own groceries
for the trip home. I can think of three chains in town - all 'upscale'
places where a bagger (not the cashier) packs the bags. Years (25-30?)
ago, the norm was that someone else would bag the groceries in a paper
sack, put them into a cart and wheel the cart/trolley to your car and
transfer them to the trunk or back seat of your car. Or you might have
the option of driving to a special station and have the bags transferred
from cart to auto there.

Then the big warehouse-type stores came along (CUB here) and the
shopping experience changed. Packaged goods were placed on shelves in
their cut-open cartons for access. Prices were no longer stamped or
stickered onto the item, but rather on the shelf on which the item was
displayed. The "courtesy" staff was eliminated and you bagged your own
groceries and wheeled the cart to your car. At one point, stores
started charging for the paper bags used (they would stamp them and you
could bring them again and use them without another charge) or you
could bring your own paper or cloth bag. That didn't last long.

Now, both plastic and paper are offered for self bagging or when being
bagged by store staff.

Where I live, the big supermarkets sometimes let school clubs or groups
come in and bag groceries as a way to raise funds for their group.
It's always optional and I generally don't -- I prefer bagging them
myself to make unpacking them at home more convenient. I need to get
back into the habit of bringing my own cloth bags in with me - I can
move two heavy bags in each hand going from car to house -- cuts down on
the number of trips I make and I'm such a slug that I'd rather struggle
some once than make two easy trips. :-/
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> hitched up their
panties and posted news:[email protected]:

<snip for space>

> Now, both plastic and paper are offered for self bagging or when being
> bagged by store staff.
>
> Where I live, the big supermarkets sometimes let school clubs or groups
> come in and bag groceries as a way to raise funds for their group.
> It's always optional and I generally don't -- I prefer bagging them
> myself to make unpacking them at home more convenient. I need to get
> back into the habit of bringing my own cloth bags in with me - I can
> move two heavy bags in each hand going from car to house -- cuts down on
> the number of trips I make and I'm such a slug that I'd rather struggle
> some once than make two easy trips. :-/

I shop at a lot of spots. I like Straubs (for upscale) Schnucks,
Dierbergers, Shop 'n Save, Aldi's and several farmer's markets. I really
like TJ's for fish and items I can't usually find. When I want fresh fish
or meat I go to the mongers. I pretty much shop daily. I no longer keep a
ton of pizza in the freezer ;)

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

Rhonda Anderson a écrit :

> This has made me curious. Do most of the supermarkets in the US have
> someone other than the cashier packing the groceries? What about those of
> you in other countries? That doesn't happen anywhere here that I've
> shopped. The general setup is that the checkout person has a frame thingy
> attached to the bench just in front of them which holds the bags - either
> the plastic grocery bags or the enviro bags you bring yourself, that all
> the supermarkets sell - have never seen a supermarket here using paper
> sacks.

It varies, depending on the store, but the larger ones have a few
packing people, occasionally one of the managers but mostly teenage
boys, who spend the bulk of their time retrieving carts from the
parking lot. They can be pressed into service to pack a large order,
but rarely for small orders.

Costco will have someone put things in a box for you.

Loblaws (the large chain) usually has the cashier put the object in the
bag right in front of you. You can also use the self checkout which
can be a pain if you have a big order. In the self checkout, you are
required to place each object in a bag on the scale after you have
scanned or weighed it. The thing is you can run out of space on the
scale. Also, it reduces the need for cashiers and fundamentally, I
think any technology whose purpose is to put humans out of work should
be avoided.

Smaller stores have the cashier doing the packing.

As for paper, you can request it at Loblaws.

alsandor wrote:

> It varies, depending on the store, but the larger ones have a few
> packing people, occasionally one of the managers but mostly teenage
> boys, who spend the bulk of their time retrieving carts from the
> parking lot. They can be pressed into service to pack a large order,
> but rarely for small orders.

All my local stores here in Georgia have baggers, perhaps one between
two cashiers? They all are available for carry out to the car service.
Some accept tips, some do not allow it.
I also shop at the military commissaries in which bagging is a highly
coveted job for many retirees or family members of service personnel!
They work on tips only and there are usually 2-3 baggers per cashier.
They've always carried out to the cars.
Goomba

In article <[email protected]>,
Rhonda Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
> This has made me curious. Do most of the supermarkets in the US have
> someone other than the cashier packing the groceries?

I live in suburban St. Louis MO and generally shop at one of 6 supermarkets;
Schnuck's and Dierbergs are the local market leaders and both have baggers
that move between checkout lanes to bag groceries for the checker, except
during the slowest of hours. Of those two, Dierbergs consistently offers
"would you like help putting these in your car". Shop 'n Save is the next
tier down (owned by same folks as Save-a-Lot, which is another step down)
and the checker does not bag (except express lane), you are expected to do
it.

I also frequently shop at Global market, a single store operation that
caters to a wide range of ethnicities, as does another single store
operation, Sappington Market. Sappington was once Sappington Farmer's
Market, but has become an ethnic grocer as well. Neither of these stores
regularly have baggers, with bagging being handled by the checkers - if
things are slow, one checker might help another, but only when there is
nothing else to do.

Finally, Aldi, which often requires me to search for the clerk because when
there's not a line at the checkout, she (there are only 3 that I have ever
seen at the store I frequent, all female) is stocking shelves, piloting the
forklift, accepting deliveries or ??? I go there because there are a few
items that they carry that are far better than anything I can get at other
markets, at ridiculously low prices. Their bagged salad is great (doesn't
smell like acetone like the stuff I get elsewhere) and less than half the
price for a 1 pound bag. Tasty, frozen cornish hens, for a third less than
any other store I visit. There are probably a dozen items like this that
make the trip to Aldi's worthwhile - plus the occasional non-food bargain
($35 flat-bed scanner for my PC, works great).

Larry, who probably has passed Michael in the aisles at Dierbergs, Schnucks
etc

--
To email, replace Cujo with Juno

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:30:04 GMT while whitewashing the broccoli
Rhonda Anderson <[email protected]> tossed a caber at the
lizard while remarking:

>This has made me curious. Do most of the supermarkets in the US have
>someone other than the cashier packing the groceries?

Can't speak to "most" of them as I have one regular supermarket and I
bag my own there. I really prefer it that way because then I don't end
up with canned goods on top of fruit and heavy meat on top of the
bread, which is what happened the last time I shopped in a place where
the groceries were bagged for you.

Cheryl
~~~When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I
had to go, you know, I went.~~~ (from "Forrest Gump")

I do not know if anyone cares at all, but, I read just recently that
Aldi's is owned by a man from Germany. Does anyone know if there is a
Aldi's in Germany? I like to buy from USA, and not from Germany, same
as cars, do not want to buy a car that is not made in this country.

Carole Beard wrote:
> I do not know if anyone cares at all, but, I read just recently that
> Aldi's is owned by a man from Germany. Does anyone know if there is a
> Aldi's in Germany? I like to buy from USA, and not from Germany, same
> as cars, do not want to buy a car that is not made in this country.

I realize that I'm as guilty as anyone with my long .sig, but *someone*
needs to explain to webtv'ers that flowers and glitter letters in a
non-binary usenet post are never ok. I'd go as far as to say that
signing a post in that manner anywhere is abhorrent, but I'm aware that
my tastes don't run towards teddy bears and disney sweatshirts.

--

Carole Beard wrote:
> I do not know if anyone cares at all, but, I read just recently that
> Aldi's is owned by a man from Germany. Does anyone know if there is a
> Aldi's in Germany? I like to buy from USA, and not from Germany, same
> as cars, do not want to buy a car that is not made in this country.

Well, then, you;re pretty SOL, given that much of the auto industry here
outsources for many many things.

--

On 13-Feb-2006, [email protected] (Carole Beard) wrote:

> I do not know if anyone cares at all, but, I read just recently that
> Aldi's is owned by a man from Germany. Does anyone know if there is a
> Aldi's in Germany? I like to buy from USA, and not from Germany, same
> as cars, do not want to buy a car that is not made in this country.

I might understand this kind of thinking if you were concerned about doing
business with a villainous regime, sworn enemy of the US like Iran, N. Korea
or France - but, geez, it's the 21st century. We Americans have been
selling off our businesses for 50 years or more; and, the ones that remain
source parts and assembled units from all over the world.

Your american made car is either made by a German or Japanese company using
American labor, or an American company using perhaps 50% of its parts
sourced from Mexico and Canada, maybe even assembling the car there too.
The American supermarket you require is selling produce from Mexico, Chile,
Peru and ???. You most likely buy your middle-eastern petroleum products
from a company headquartered in the UK or the Netherlands. Nearly all the
large companies you do business with have outsourced customer service,
computer services and personnel support to call desks in India, Bosnia or
who knows where

Now, Aldi sells pretty much the same food from the same places as my locally
owned stores, it pays rent and salaries in my community, so what's to
complain about? Profits going to a company headquartered in Germany? Who
owns the stock of the American companies you want to do business with; if
publicly traded, anyone, anywhere in the world can own it.

Rather than ***** and moan about doing business with "foreign" companies, we
need to produce things people in "foriegn" countries want, other than bad
hamburgers, fried chicken and Coke. We need to apply ourselves to find ways
to manufacture goods at a lower cost; this should be getting easier as
petroleum prices go up and increase the cost of moving a car or tv from
China to the US.

Oh, and Boycott French made stuff.

"Better Things for Better Living … Through Chemistry." - DuPont, or was it
Timothy Leary?

"Spuddie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:30:04 GMT while whitewashing the broccoli
> Rhonda Anderson <[email protected]> tossed a caber at the
> lizard while remarking:
>
>>This has made me curious. Do most of the supermarkets in the US have
>>someone other than the cashier packing the groceries?

> Can't speak to "most" of them as I have one regular supermarket and I
> bag my own there. I really prefer it that way because then I don't end
> up with canned goods on top of fruit and heavy meat on top of the
> bread, which is what happened the last time I shopped in a place where
> the groceries were bagged for you.

Where I live and shop, (Virginia) and sometimes traveling and shopping at
grocery stores up and down a few other east-coast states, there are no
groceries stores that you have to bag your own groceries; this includes the
warehouses Costco and BJ's and chain grocery stores and Walmart and large
Asian stores, TJ's, Whole Foods, Wegman's some small mom&pops.

Nowadays in one of the chain stores I shop in, owned by Giant, they have
stanchions/pay stations in some grocery stores where you scan your products
and put them in a grocery bag, put the money in an automated machine or a
credit card and leave. If you have a problem with checking out, there is a
person that will set it straight.
Recently, they have updated this system where now you get a scanner as you
enter the store, and you scan the item as you shop, then when you check out,
all of your items are already scanned and bagged. I've entered my name for
this, but as of yet, I haven't tried it, but will next time we have one or
two items, just to get the hang of it.
DeeDee

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:32:17 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Where I live and shop, (Virginia) and sometimes traveling and shopping at
>grocery stores up and down a few other east-coast states, there are no
>groceries stores that you have to bag your own groceries; this includes the
>warehouses Costco and BJ's and chain grocery stores and Walmart and large
>Asian stores, TJ's, Whole Foods, Wegman's some small mom&pops.

When I was in the DC area about 2 years ago, there was a chain where
you had to bag your own. The Food Warehouse, I believe it is called.
And I know it is in Virginia, and in Maryland. It was a very busy
grocery store chain, so I doubt it has gone out of business.

Christine

Carole Beard wrote:

> I do not know if anyone cares at all, but, I read just recently that
> Aldi's is owned by a man from Germany. Does anyone know if there is a
> Aldi's in Germany? I like to buy from USA, and not from Germany, same
> as cars, do not want to buy a car that is not made in this country.

As you may or may not be aware: 1) Several foreign automobile
manufacturers have plants in the US; 2) ALL major US automobile
companies have plants outside the US.

If you want a car which is made in the US (and not one _assembled_ in
the US with many of the components made elsewhere), you'll need to do
some investigation.

--
Dan Goodman
All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies.

"George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tara wrote:
> > I tried Aldi's for the first time today. The prices are very good
> > and the workers were very friendly and courteous.

> Theres a reason for that. Unlike wally the workers don't have to apply
> for welfare and medical assistance because they are paid substantially
> more and have medical coverage.

Yes, here in Indy, starting for a cashier is $10.50/hour outside 465 (the
"nice" areas) and $11.50/hour for inside 465 (where you're more likely to
get robbed.) Managers (except store managers) start at $17.50/hour -
$18.50/hour. Everyone gets paid overtime, except the store manager who is
salaried (and I think starts at $50K a year).

Costco, btw, starts their cashiers/stockers out at the same wage.

Lisa Ann

"Carole Beard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

I do not know if anyone cares at all, but, I read just recently that
Aldi's is owned by a man from Germany. Does anyone know if there is a
Aldi's in Germany? I like to buy from USA, and not from Germany, same
as cars, do not want to buy a car that is not made in this country.

First of all, what Saerah said...turn off the HTML.

Second of all, yes, Aldi's is owned by a German, as is Trader Joe's.
They're all over Northern Europe, and the UK, as well as the US. Here in
the US, if you read their labels, you'll find that nearly all of their
canned goods are canned in the US. Some of their specialy products (the
Contessa brand) is imported, but most of the food comes from the US. In
other words, US citizens are getting paid for it. Sure, some of the profits
are going back to Germany, but they're keeping a lot of money here in the
pockets of US citizens. (See my earlier posts for starting salaries for
workers; compare that to Wally "We're an American Company!" World's starting
salary here in Indy of $6.50/hour. Then compare where Wally world gets
their stock (overseas) and how many companies - both competitors and
suppliers - they have helped drive out of business. Now try and figure out
which company is truly best for Americans.

As for cars...well, if I could afford it, I'd buy a BMW (German) and put
Michelin (French) tires on it. Why? Because when Greenville, SC needed
new jobs, both BMW and Michelin moved there. Their unemployment rate
dropped significantly, and the town is still booming.

Now, if you want to hear something *really* sucky...my citi's water supply
is "owned" by a French company. How in the world did we sell our water to
France? (And the water is terrible, too!)

Anyway, that's my take on doing business with "foreign" companies. If
they're hiring Americans and providing decent jobs, I really don't care
where the profits go.

Lisa Ann

"Lisa Ann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As for cars...well, if I could afford it, I'd buy a BMW (German) and put
> Michelin (French) tires on it. Why? Because when Greenville, SC needed
> new jobs, both BMW and Michelin moved there. Their unemployment rate
> dropped significantly, and the town is still booming.

Are you in that area? I live in a smaller town near Greenville and we also
have a Michelin, not far from my house. While it was being built, kids just
coming out of high school and younger people already working in plants were
applying to work there.
Marie

"Marie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Lisa Ann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > As for cars...well, if I could afford it, I'd buy a BMW (German) and put
> > Michelin (French) tires on it. Why? Because when Greenville, SC

needed
> > new jobs, both BMW and Michelin moved there. Their unemployment rate
> > dropped significantly, and the town is still booming.

> Are you in that area? I live in a smaller town near Greenville and we also
> have a Michelin, not far from my house. While it was being built, kids

just
> coming out of high school and younger people already working in plants

were
> applying to work there.
> Marie

No, my mom used to live in Simpsonville, but just moved to Greer last year.

And I tend to generalize - Michelin isn't in Greenville proper, but it is in
Greenville county, isn't it? Either way, they were decent jobs.

Which little town?

Lisa Ann

sarah bennett wrote:
> Carole Beard wrote:
> > I do not know if anyone cares at all, but, I read just recently that
> > Aldi's is owned by a man from Germany. Does anyone know if there is a
> > Aldi's in Germany? I like to buy from USA, and not from Germany, same
> > as cars, do not want to buy a car that is not made in this country.
> >

> I realize that I'm as guilty as anyone with my long .sig, but *someone*
> needs to explain to webtv'ers that flowers and glitter letters in a
> non-binary usenet post are never ok. I'd go as far as to say that
> signing a post in that manner anywhere is abhorrent, but I'm aware that
> my tastes don't run towards teddy bears and disney sweatshirts.
>
> --
>
> saerah

I've written her before and explained she is not on webtv but my posts
seem to be falling on deaf ears. Some folks are dense is all I can say.