First trip to Aldi's

"Lisa Ann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> No, my mom used to live in Simpsonville, but just moved to Greer last

year.

> And I tend to generalize - Michelin isn't in Greenville proper, but it is

in
> Greenville county, isn't it? Either way, they were decent jobs.
>
> Which little town?

We go to Simpsonville weekly, it is a nice town and whenever we move I'd
love to move there.
I don't know if there's a Michelin in Greenville, but I'm in Anderson
County, and there is one out in the country in Anderson, almost in Starr.
Marie

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 07:36:02 -0500, George <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Tara wrote:
>> I tried Aldi's for the first time today. The prices are very good
>> and the workers were very friendly and courteous.

>Theres a reason for that. Unlike wally the workers don't have to apply
>for welfare and medical assistance because they are paid substantially
>more and have medical coverage.

Posting from Germany, Aldi's home market: Aldi is by far the worst
employer among the low-cost supermarkets. A couple years ago Walmart
bought a chain in Germany to have a foot in the country. It was
greeted by a vicious price war by the several German supermarket
chains (Aldi, Lidl, Norma, Plus). I just know that in this price war,
Wally made a heavy loss over here while Aldi made a plus of 1% of
overturn - in the middle of that war. That money does not just come
from producers, it also comes from employees.

Chains like Aldi and Lidl make their cash in France in Europe, people
there are used to higher prices. By far the hottest-contested
supermarket food territory in Europe is Germany, and they fight by any
means, and by this I mean, ANY. Being employed there in the chains is
not fun at all.

In Germany you don't get your purchase packed, you are provided with a
very short space behind the cashier's machine to put your purchase
back into the basked from which you just took it, so you can pack it
yourself outside the cashier's territory. If you think Wally is
no-frills, wait for Aldi to get a hold in the US. This is
no-frills-at-all.

I know better places to do my shopping than Aldi. Besides, their food
is so terribly customized that you don't really have much of a choice.
fkoe

Hayabusa wrote:

> Posting from Germany, Aldi's home market: Aldi is by far the worst
> employer among the low-cost supermarkets. A couple years ago Walmart
> bought a chain in Germany to have a foot in the country. It was
> greeted by a vicious price war by the several German supermarket
> chains (Aldi, Lidl, Norma, Plus). I just know that in this price war,
> Wally made a heavy loss over here while Aldi made a plus of 1% of
> overturn - in the middle of that war. That money does not just come
> from producers, it also comes from employees.

In the US, at least in the Twin Cities area, Aldi apparently pays
employees _better_ than other supermarkets do.

--
Dan Goodman
All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies.

Hey, that is your problem, i have not had any complaints from others,
but do not get your self in a uproar, I will never again get on this
sight, it sure is not worthy of my time. There are many more sights
that are very friendly. I am an old person and if I want to express my
opinions I can, on the other web sights. Sorry if I offened any of you,
but, as I say, it will never happen again. I thought this was a free
country, I could answer and if the answer had a flower in my sig, so
what. Not ever again , hope you folks enjoy. Go for it. Good bye.

Carole Beard wrote:
> Hey, that is your problem, i have not had any complaints from others,
> but do not get your self in a uproar, I will never again get on this
> sight, it sure is not worthy of my time. There are many more sights
> that are very friendly. I am an old person and if I want to express my
> opinions I can, on the other web sights. Sorry if I offened any of you,
> but, as I say, it will never happen again. I thought this was a free
> country, I could answer and if the answer had a flower in my sig, so
> what. Not ever again , hope you folks enjoy. Go for it. Good bye.

Aaaaaaaaaah, one of webtv posters who just don't understand they are
not on a webtv firewalled group. Being old is no excuse for being
ignorant of the wishes of the group when they ask for no html in the
group.

<rolls eyes>

Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> All my local stores here in Georgia have baggers, perhaps one between
> two cashiers? They all are available for carry out to the car service.
> Some accept tips, some do not allow it.

I noticed a number of people mentioning this "carry to the car" service.
It's not something I've ever come across in any supermarket I've ever been
to here.
--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

In article <[email protected]>,
Rhonda Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:

> Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > All my local stores here in Georgia have baggers, perhaps one between
> > two cashiers? They all are available for carry out to the car service.
> > Some accept tips, some do not allow it.

> I noticed a number of people mentioning this "carry to the car" service.
> It's not something I've ever come across in any supermarket I've ever been
> to here.

It's a thing of the past here (Mpls), too, though it was common 30-35
years ago. Now the options are to push the trolley to your car, unload
to vehicle, and return cart to one of several locations for the purpose
in the parking lot; or (upscale) go to a drive-thru area where your
bags have been moved -- store employee puts them into your vehicle. I
haven't seen a store employee provide carry-out to vehicle in years.
Many years.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

"Rhonda Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> All my local stores here in Georgia have baggers, perhaps one between
>> two cashiers? They all are available for carry out to the car service.
>> Some accept tips, some do not allow it.

> I noticed a number of people mentioning this "carry to the car" service.
> It's not something I've ever come across in any supermarket I've ever been
> to here.
> --
> Rhonda Anderson
> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

This is my experience over the years from 1950's to now where I've lived.
Evidently everyone has a different experience; here's mine.

It used to be the normal thing years ago to have a bagger bag groceries, put
them in a cart, take them to your car and load them in. They didn't ask me
whether I wanted these services. They just did it.

Then later it became the norm for them to bag your groceries, and then they
didn't ask you if you wanted them to take it to the car. They posted signs
for you to return your carts to a carriage barn-of-sorts in order for them
to save YOU money.

Then later it became the norm for them to ask you if you wanted paper or
plastic bags. At about that time people started using the cloth bags (in
California) and had that choice, too, and usually the persons with the cloth
bags bagged their own groceries.

Then later it became the norm for the bagger to bag your groceries in
plastic bags without asking you if you wanted paper -- I assume because they
didn't carry paper.

Now at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's they bag your groceries in paper bags
with handles if you want. You can get help loading your groceries into your
car if you ask for help. At Wegman's (a large up-scale grocery) I recall it
is plastic bagging, but they do bag it for you.

As I said previously, I don't shop anywhere that doesn't bag groceries; not
by design, it just is that they all do bag groceries. Everywhere except the
places where they have installed automated grocery scanning.

Somehow I equate this all as less-service and is comparable to fast-food
restaurants not cleaning off tables when someone leaves, and not bussing
tables. Others think doing these jobs and offering these service equates to
slave-labor. My opinion: I think businesses will do anything to increase
profits. Giving less service is one sure way to do that.

Dee Dee

In article <[email protected]>,
Rhonda Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:

> Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > All my local stores here in Georgia have baggers, perhaps one between
> > two cashiers? They all are available for carry out to the car service.
> > Some accept tips, some do not allow it.

> I noticed a number of people mentioning this "carry to the car" service.
> It's not something I've ever come across in any supermarket I've ever been
> to here.

A small, community grocery in the town where I grew up still bags and
carries your groceries to your car. It's where all the little old ladies
shop.

Amy

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Rhonda Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote in
>>news:[email protected]:
>>

>>>All my local stores here in Georgia have baggers, perhaps one between
>>>two cashiers? They all are available for carry out to the car service.
>>>Some accept tips, some do not allow it.

>>I noticed a number of people mentioning this "carry to the car" service.
>>It's not something I've ever come across in any supermarket I've ever been
>>to here.

> It's a thing of the past here (Mpls), too, though it was common 30-35
> years ago. Now the options are to push the trolley to your car, unload
> to vehicle, and return cart to one of several locations for the purpose
> in the parking lot; or (upscale) go to a drive-thru area where your
> bags have been moved -- store employee puts them into your vehicle. I
> haven't seen a store employee provide carry-out to vehicle in years.
> Many years.

Supermarket here in my town that didn't push the cart to your car and
unload it would go out of business. So many older people live here that
electric grocery carts are racked by the door into the market. When I
first had a stroke I rode one myself for a couple of months. I always
tell the bag boy (or girl) no thank you but lots of these folks need the
help. We don't get a choice on paper or plastic though, it's all plastic
with one minor exception. Each year the art teachers in the elementary
schools get the paper grocery bags from Kroger and have their students
decorate them. The bags then get delivered back to Kroger and every
customer gets at least one. Since my wife is an art teacher we take
great delight in that one week a year and always go shopping then.

George

Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> hitched up their
panties and posted
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Rhonda Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>>
>> > All my local stores here in Georgia have baggers, perhaps one
>> > between two cashiers? They all are available for carry out to the
>> > car service. Some accept tips, some do not allow it.

>> I noticed a number of people mentioning this "carry to the car"
>> service. It's not something I've ever come across in any supermarket
>> I've ever been to here.

> It's a thing of the past here (Mpls), too, though it was common 30-35
> years ago. Now the options are to push the trolley to your car,
> unload to vehicle, and return cart to one of several locations for the
> purpose in the parking lot; or (upscale) go to a drive-thru area
> where your bags have been moved -- store employee puts them into your
> vehicle. I haven't seen a store employee provide carry-out to vehicle
> in years. Many years.

I have need it once but never seen it again. After a surgery I went to the
supermarket (Schnucks) to get a few items. I wanted to get out of this
house real bad ;) After I made my purchases I explained my surgery to the
bagger. He looked at me wide eyed. Went to the service desk and had to
ask the manager. The poor kid hauled out my bags and I gave him a tip.
Said he couldn't take a tip. I insisted. I don't think he's ever heard of
carryout before. I worked as a bagger at an A&P store when I was able to
drive. I worked there part time for a couple of years. It was custom to
ask almost every customer if they needed help out. Of course that was in
1971.

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
news:[email protected]:

> Somehow I equate this all as less-service and is comparable to
> fast-food restaurants not cleaning off tables when someone leaves, and
> not bussing tables. Others think doing these jobs and offering these
> service equates to slave-labor. My opinion: I think businesses will
> do anything to increase profits. Giving less service is one sure way
> to do that.
>
> Dee Dee

I would imagine that Straubs here in St. Louis still offers carry out
service. I have never used the service but I'm sure it's there. They are
an upscale store.

I sort of agree to a point Dee Dee. However, I shop at Aldis now and then.
It's bag your own and I've never seen any other employees on the floor
outside of the cashier. The prices there are much lower than the usual
places I ship so I think it does lower prices to the consumer.

Michael

--

Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's a thing of the past here (Mpls), too, though it was common 30-35
> years ago. Now the options are to push the trolley to your car, unload
> to vehicle, and return cart to one of several locations for the purpose
> in the parking lot; or (upscale) go to a drive-thru area where your
> bags have been moved -- store employee puts them into your vehicle. I
> haven't seen a store employee provide carry-out to vehicle in years.
> Many years.

Heh. Gotta move up to the city. :) Both the SuperValu down the
block from me and Kowalski's up on the Hill will take the groceries
out to your car.

sd

"me" <[email protected]> wrote

> Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> It's a thing of the past here (Mpls), too, though it was common 30-35
>> years ago. Now the options are to push the trolley to your car, unload
>> to vehicle, and return cart to one of several locations for the purpose
>> in the parking lot; or (upscale) go to a drive-thru area where your
>> bags have been moved -- store employee puts them into your vehicle. I
>> haven't seen a store employee provide carry-out to vehicle in years.
>> Many years.

> Heh. Gotta move up to the city. :) Both the SuperValu down the
> block from me and Kowalski's up on the Hill will take the groceries
> out to your car.

Funny, I thought it was more common as you moved away from the
city. Or was it south? Either way, we hardly have baggers (the cashier
will bag if you don't), but if you say, they will get someone to help you
get your stuff out to the car. As a matter of fact, if you ask, someone
will help you shop, which in my experience, many of the older people
need. But that's another story, my supermarket is adjacent to senior
citizen housing.

nancy

In article <[email protected]>,
me <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > It's a thing of the past here (Mpls), too, though it was common 30-35
> > years ago. Now the options are to push the trolley to your car, unload
> > to vehicle, and return cart to one of several locations for the purpose
> > in the parking lot; or (upscale) go to a drive-thru area where your
> > bags have been moved -- store employee puts them into your vehicle. I
> > haven't seen a store employee provide carry-out to vehicle in years.
> > Many years.

> Heh. Gotta move up to the city. :) Both the SuperValu down the
> block from me and Kowalski's up on the Hill will take the groceries
> out to your car.
>
> sd

You're kidding! I'd give it a test at Kowalski's but they're too spendy
for most of my needs.
--

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>I noticed a number of people mentioning this "carry to the car" service.
>>It's not something I've ever come across in any supermarket I've ever been
>>to here.

> It's a thing of the past here (Mpls), too, though it was common 30-35
> years ago. Now the options are to push the trolley to your car, unload
> to vehicle, and return cart to one of several locations for the purpose
> in the parking lot; or (upscale) go to a drive-thru area where your
> bags have been moved -- store employee puts them into your vehicle. I
> haven't seen a store employee provide carry-out to vehicle in years.
> Many years.

Almsted's Supervalu at Louisiana/Cedar Lake Rd in St Louis Park still
carries the groceries to your car and they don't accept tips.

Hayabusa wrote:

> In Germany you don't get your purchase packed, you are provided with a
> very short space behind the cashier's machine to put your purchase
> back into the basked from which you just took it, so you can pack it
> yourself outside the cashier's territory. If you think Wally is
> no-frills, wait for Aldi to get a hold in the US. This is
> no-frills-at-all.

I'd say Aldi's already has a pretty good hold in the US with 600 stores.

Frills? Who needs frills? I'm in and out of Aldi's in 10 minutes with
the basics I go there for. The same trip to one of the local larger
chains costs me 20% more, takes twice as long, and involves pushing a
cart up and down a half mile of aisles just to get everything I need.

At the large chains, I walk further between my car and the front door
than I walk inside an Aldi's. Then, when I do go to the large chain for
meat, deli, and produce, I'm in and out much quicker because I skip the
miles of aisles (except for the pickle aisle...gotta get those Gedney
pickles - Aldi's pickles just don't rate by comparison)

> I know better places to do my shopping than Aldi. Besides, their food
> is so terribly customized that you don't really have much of a choice.
> fkoe

Choice? Really? Heh heh. "Terribly customized?" Aldi's was born in
post WWII Germany with the idea of providing only the basic staples to
the war ravaged German population at large. It wasn't about choice then
and still isn't.

Aldi's currently stocks roughly 1000 different items, compared to upward
of 40,000 at some of the large chains. I walk into an Aldi's and grab
chips, dip, all manner of canned goods, cheese, butter, corn oil,
shampoo (their Head and Shoulders knock-off is as good as the original -
twice as good as the generics in the large markets), etc. and lose
nothing in quality. Even their Frito's knock-off is indistinguishable
from the name brand.

Tara wrote:

> I tried Aldi's for the first time today. The prices are very good
> and the workers were very friendly and courteous. You do give up
> some convenience in exchange for the low prices. You have to deposit

I went to Aldi's today.

Sharp Ceddar Cheese $1.49
French Green Beans .35
Canned Corn .35
Corned Beef Hash .99
Cheddar Bratwurst 1.99
Honey Crunch & Oats
Cereal 1.69
Stuffed Sandwiches
(same as Hot-pockets) 1.59
Creamy Peanut Butter
(100% Skippy) 1.29
Oat Bran Bread .79
14 Oz bag of M&Ms
with peanuts 2.29

15 Oz Corn Chips .99
(100% Fritos)

"GW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Hayabusa wrote:
>

>> In Germany you don't get your purchase packed, you are provided with a
>> very short space behind the cashier's machine to put your purchase
>> back into the basked from which you just took it, so you can pack it
>> yourself outside the cashier's territory. If you think Wally is
>> no-frills, wait for Aldi to get a hold in the US. This is
>> no-frills-at-all.

> I'd say Aldi's already has a pretty good hold in the US with 600 stores.

I checked their website and didn't see where the locations were in the U.S.
I've never heard of them before reading about them on this site. I've only
been to a few of the old-time food warehouses in the 70s and 80's in
Washington state and a couple in California. No doubt it is the same type
of thing?
Dee Dee