First v02max test. Do I need to do l5 intervals?

whoawhoa

Oct 28, 2004
I just did my first vo2max test. My 5 minute power is always slightly (like 1-2 rows) lower than my FTP. I've always assumed this was partly due to my abysmal AWC, but still did l5 work because I figured raising my vo2max was important if I wanted to still improve FTP.

On the v02 test today I hit 80.4 ml/minute/kg which I gather is pretty good. Is it fair to say for the time being I can just focus on endurance/FTP focused training and ignore specific v02max work?

whoawhoa said:
I just did my first vo2max test. My 5 minute power is always slightly (like 1-2 rows) lower than my FTP. I've always assumed this was partly due to my abysmal AWC, but still did l5 work because I figured raising my vo2max was important if I wanted to still improve FTP.

On the v02 test today I hit 80.4 ml/minute/kg which I gather is pretty good. Is it fair to say for the time being I can just focus on endurance/FTP focused training and ignore specific v02max work?
VO2 max work doesn't just raise your VO2 max, it also helps raise the power you make at the upper end of your breathing abilities. That was a god-aweful way of explaining it, but I hope you got the point of not dropping your L5 work.

whoawhoa said:

If your VO2max is 80 mL/kg/min and your 5-min power is a couple of rows below your FTP in the power profile charts, then your FTP must be extremely high...

Ric

ric_stern/RST said:
If your VO2max is 80 mL/kg/min and your 5-min power is a couple of rows below your FTP in the power profile charts, then your FTP must be extremely high...

Ric
Hi Ric, I was thinking similar. Isn't 80+ a world class VO2Max level(assuming the test was accurate)? I guesstimate I'm about 55 but don't see the need to actually know it precisely although it would tighten up my Maximal Accumulated Oxygen Deficit calculations since VO2Max is an assumption for that (it prob wouldn't make much difference in the end). You get a good enough idea from your 5-6min power I figure, or in my case a well paced pursuit.

In the end, what you train, when and for how long is dependent on what your goal is and your relative strengths and weaknesses.

ric_stern/RST said:

Ric
I can't speak for the accuracy of the test, other than to say it was done using a breathing mask (not some wacky estimate) and the guy running the test has done upwards of several thousand of them. I wouldn't say my FTP is "extremely high," it's ~5 w/kg or maybe a little over, I haven't tested in a month or so. I've only been training seriously for a year and a half or so, though. Upon looking at recent results, it appears my 5 minute power is 1 row below my FTP, but again, I have absolutely horrible AWC.

whoawhoa said:
Upon looking at recent results, it appears my 5 minute power is 1 row below my FTP, but again, I have absolutely horrible AWC.
To heck with the AWC, I would kill to have my FTP one row above my 5 minute power. :) Right now it's eight rows below...