Fixed gear cog size dilemma

Protag Hiro

Guest
I am currently rocking a 1970 Schwinn Suburban at 42x15, which is
sufficient for general Seattle cruising. I want to get a smaller cog
for longer flatter rides. Is a 14t cog really going to be that much
harder? Should I just jump on down to a 13t cog instead? Whaddya think?

Here's the bike, "Brown Thunder".

http://www.yesalbum.com/v001/protaghiro/brown_thunder.jpg

Adding to my first post. Will it be possible to run the 42x13 on the
same chain length as a 42x15? I am pretty sure 15t and 14t will work on
the same chain length.

Protag Hiro wrote:
> I am currently rocking a 1970 Schwinn Suburban at 42x15, which is
> sufficient for general Seattle cruising. I want to get a smaller cog
> for longer flatter rides. Is a 14t cog really going to be that much
> harder? Should I just jump on down to a 13t cog instead? Whaddya
> think?
>
> Here's the bike, "Brown Thunder".
>
> http://www.yesalbum.com/v001/protaghiro/brown_thunder.jpg

Don't derail...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

> Don't derail...

A bit vague... Whats that mean? Is there some risk here I am missing?
Remember I am new to this stuff.

"Protag Hiro" <[email protected]> writes:

> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>
>> Don't derail...

> A bit vague... Whats that mean? Is there some risk here I am missing?
> Remember I am new to this stuff.

Your chain is hella loose dude.

Jim Smith wrote:
> "Protag Hiro" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> >
> >> Don't derail...

> > A bit vague... Whats that mean? Is there some risk here I am missing?
> > Remember I am new to this stuff.
> >

> Your chain is hella loose dude.

Duh. I had just put the wheel on after fixing my tire. Chain tension
wasnt even completed yet. Its not like that now. Gawsh!

"Protag Hiro" <[email protected]> writes:

> Jim Smith wrote:

>> > A bit vague... Whats that mean? Is there some risk here I am missing?
>> > Remember I am new to this stuff.
>> >

>> Your chain is hella loose dude.

> Duh. I had just put the wheel on after fixing my tire. Chain tension
> wasnt even completed yet. Its not like that now. Gawsh!

And back on topic, I think 42/14 is a good gear for the flats. I ride
one like that in the flatlands of Illinois. It's good for 20 mph at a
cadence of about 85rpm and I can spin out on the flats at a tad over
30mph.

The only downside to that gear is that it is a ratio of 3:1, so if you
don't have brakes on the bike, the tire will wear out relatively
quickly because it will always skid on the same spot.

Jim Smith wrote:

> And back on topic, I think 42/14 is a good gear for the flats. I ride
> one like that in the flatlands of Illinois. It's good for 20 mph at a
> cadence of about 85rpm and I can spin out on the flats at a tad over
> 30mph.
>
> The only downside to that gear is that it is a ratio of 3:1, so if you
> don't have brakes on the bike, the tire will wear out relatively
> quickly because it will always skid on the same spot.

It is an old one piece crank and the frame is huge, so I won't be skid
stopping on this bad boy anytime soon. I only intend to ride flats on
the 42x14, so I am stoked that it will be a good gear for that. Thanks.

A Pizza Delivery guy wrote:

> I am currently rocking a 1970 Schwinn Suburban at 42x15, which is
> sufficient for general Seattle cruising. I want to get a smaller cog
> for longer flatter rides. Is a 14t cog really going to be that much
> harder?

Yes, the gear will be 7% higher.

Should I just jump on down to a 13t cog instead? Whaddya think?

That's "up" not down. ;-)

I like 42/15 for rolling terrain, and use 42/14 for flat terrain. 42/13
would be too high for me.

> Will it be possible to run the 42x13 on the
> same chain length as a 42x15? I am pretty sure 15t and 14t will
> work on the same chain length.

For each tooth difference, the axle moves 1/8" (3 mm).

Sheldon "Snowcrash" Brown
| Any event, once it has occurred, |
| can be made to appear inevitable |
| by a competent historian. |