Fixing up a Campy/Shimano mix

Pat Lamb

Guest
A while back, I set up a mixed drive with Campy shifters and derailer
and a Shimano cluster. ("Shimergo" doesn't do it justice --
"Campagnano," or even just "Campagno," would be better because it's 2/3
Campagnolo, with the Campy stuff at the front.) Worked like a charm, no
more fiddly than any other straight brand index shifting, no problems
for 5-6 years.

Then (through luser error) I tore up the derailer. No problem, get a
new one, slap it on, and it's been a pain ever since. New cables,
rebuilt right shifter, checked derailer hanger alignment, no joy.

It's an old (pre-2001) shifter, with a new derailer, and my current
hypothesis is that doubling the mis-match (per
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946 it's gone from a
negligible 0.2 mm/shift to 0.4 mm/shift) throws things out beyond
acceptable tolerance. I've had no luck finding a NOS shifter.

As I see it, I have a few choices:
(1) Get a new 9-speed shifter, it should work as well as it used to. If
that doesn't work, throw on a JTek shiftmate.
(2) Get a new 10-speed shifter, see if that works. (Should be off 0.2
mm/shift the other way.) If that doesn't work, go to a Shimano shifter
with a hubbub arrangement, or a different shiftmate.
(3) Throw out the Campy, put on new Shimano equipment while I can still
get 9-speed shifters. Don't want to do this, I really prefer the Campy
ergonomics and front ratchet.
(4) Throw out the rear wheel, build new ones for Campy cluster. Um, not
going to happen, all the other wheels and spare parts in the family are
Shimano.

BTW, JTek doesn't have anything for mixed old/new Campy. They flat
don't recommend it.

What are your recommendations on the quickest, least expensive, most
likely to succeed path?

Pat

Pat Lamb wrote:
> A while back, I set up a mixed drive with Campy shifters and derailer
> and a Shimano cluster. ("Shimergo" doesn't do it justice --
> "Campagnano," or even just "Campagno," would be better because it's 2/3
> Campagnolo, with the Campy stuff at the front.) Worked like a charm, no
> more fiddly than any other straight brand index shifting, no problems
> for 5-6 years.
>
> Then (through luser error) I tore up the derailer. No problem, get a
> new one, slap it on, and it's been a pain ever since. New cables,
> rebuilt right shifter, checked derailer hanger alignment, no joy.
>
> It's an old (pre-2001) shifter, with a new derailer, and my current
> hypothesis is that doubling the mis-match (per
> http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946 it's gone from a
> negligible 0.2 mm/shift to 0.4 mm/shift) throws things out beyond
> acceptable tolerance. I've had no luck finding a NOS shifter.
>
> As I see it, I have a few choices:
> (1) Get a new 9-speed shifter, it should work as well as it used to. If
> that doesn't work, throw on a JTek shiftmate.
> (2) Get a new 10-speed shifter, see if that works. (Should be off 0.2
> mm/shift the other way.) If that doesn't work, go to a Shimano shifter
> with a hubbub arrangement, or a different shiftmate.
> (3) Throw out the Campy, put on new Shimano equipment while I can still
> get 9-speed shifters. Don't want to do this, I really prefer the Campy
> ergonomics and front ratchet.
> (4) Throw out the rear wheel, build new ones for Campy cluster. Um, not
> going to happen, all the other wheels and spare parts in the family are
> Shimano.
>
> BTW, JTek doesn't have anything for mixed old/new Campy. They flat
> don't recommend it.
>
> What are your recommendations on the quickest, least expensive, most
> likely to succeed path?

A (5) option that you're missing - rebuild your Campy shifters. IF
you're Campy 9spd shifter has the "old" 9 spd throw and you can't make
it compatible with the *new* 9 spd version, why not change out the old
9 speed disc for the *new* 9 spd to make it compatible. Alternatively,
if you're thinking 10 spd at some point, change it to a 10spd disc.
Either are available.

Note, with Branford now out of business, your best source for info is
to contact Peter Chisholm at www.vecchios.com Peter is not only
knowledgeable about all things Campy, and especially Ergo, he carries
all small parts and will tell you exactly what you need. He also
rebuilds ergo levers if you can't find someone to do it. Call him!

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:16:09 -0500, Pat Lamb
<[email protected]> wrote:

>What are your recommendations on the quickest, least expensive, most
>likely to succeed path?

I'm sure there are lots of 9sp shift disks on shelves for the people
that converted to 10sp and you can find something that works fine with
a Shimano cassette.

Paul Kopit wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:16:09 -0500, Pat Lamb
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >What are your recommendations on the quickest, least expensive, most
> >likely to succeed path?

> I'm sure there are lots of 9sp shift disks on shelves for the people
> that converted to 10sp and you can find something that works fine with
> a Shimano cassette.

What he said...they have a '1' on them.

On 26 Aug 2006 05:43:09 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Paul Kopit wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:16:09 -0500, Pat Lamb
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >What are your recommendations on the quickest, least expensive, most
>> >likely to succeed path?

>> I'm sure there are lots of 9sp shift disks on shelves for the people
>> that converted to 10sp and you can find something that works fine with
>> a Shimano cassette.

>What he said...they have a '1' on them.

Are these the "new" 9-speed disks?

Pat

Email address works as is.

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 21:41:08 -0500, Patrick Lamb
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Are these the "new" 9-speed disks?

I have 'new' ones from making Mirage 10 a couple of years ago. I
likely have old ones too. My tandemu uses an 'old' 9 disk, Centaur
2003 rear derailleur and Shimano 12/32 x 9sp cassettes and it's very
happy. I used to replace a couple of the first spacers, where
possible, with Campy ones but that became unnecessary.