Flash: Pope Blasts Islam

Carrera said:
I take your point and why shouldn't I? I saw on the news the Vatican has defended itself just this way so I don't wish to deny the context of the speech. All I'm saying is, there is anger out there over what he said. It has been taken as a personal attack and we now have to live with that situation.
As for my views on religion, true, I'm not religious. I believe in some kind of cosmic intelligence and plan but I don't see this concept of God reflected in any of the major religions.
Plus, I think this whole idea of professional cyclists carrying crosses and vials of salt is daft. How will salt stop the crashing? If you're going to crash, you'll crash, I reckon.

I wasn't saying that you shouldn't express a view - because you're an atheist/agnostic.
I was surprised that given you're statement that you do not believe - that a speech about religion (and the reaction to that speech) would be of interest to you.
That's all.

And as for carrying salt - it helps to melt the ice on the roads when pedalling.

Carrera, the Muslims who are getting hot and bothered by this are being misinformed by their own leaders and media.
Er.....
in that respect perhaps they're not so different than us.

Anyway, the Pope was quoting the transcript of some religious debate from several hundred years ago, (although that means nothing to the Catholic Church,) and if I remember my history right the original speaker would have been an opponent of the Catholic Church.
BTW, please can you argue without all the copy-and-pasting? I don't know when you're giving us your real opinion and when you're just quoting the tabloids.

Carrera said:
Plus, I think this whole idea of professional cyclists carrying crosses and vials of salt is daft. How will salt stop the crashing? If you're going to crash, you'll crash, I reckon.
Let's take this one step farther.....Trying to ride a bicyle around a country, up mountains in an attempt to be faster then the othe guy is daft. I like daft. Personally I have had every bike I own and ride blessed by the local priest. I also have attached a pendant from the Madonna del Ghisallo chapel in Italy on both my bikes.

* Also, the salt you see cyclists carrying is probably something else.

I don't get it. We've seen this before with The Satanic Verses. Most of the people burning images and books on the streets of Tehran hadn't even read the book so they had no idea what was what. Now we see it again and again. It's all well and good pointing out what the Pope may have intended to say but these folks aren't going to buy it. So far as they're concerned, the Pontifex insulted Islam and they're angry.
Religion has always been this way - it's held civilization back for centuries. It's not for me, I'm afraid. The only thing that's going to save this planet is science and self-help not calling on Allah to come down from the clouds, or Jesus to wave a magic wand.

Don Shipp said:
Carrera, the Muslims who are getting hot and bothered by this are being misinformed by their own leaders and media.
Er.....
in that respect perhaps they're not so different than us.

Anyway, the Pope was quoting the transcript of some religious debate from several hundred years ago, (although that means nothing to the Catholic Church,) and if I remember my history right the original speaker would have been an opponent of the Catholic Church.
BTW, please can you argue without all the copy-and-pasting? I don't know when you're giving us your real opinion and when you're just quoting the tabloids.

They carry salt and vials of water such is the fear of crashes. But if you crash, you crash and it's just a matter of physics and how you fall.

wolfix said:
Let's take this one step farther.....Trying to ride a bicyle around a country, up mountains in an attempt to be faster then the othe guy is daft. I like daft. Personally I have had every bike I own and ride blessed by the local priest. I also have attached a pendant from the Madonna del Ghisallo chapel in Italy on both my bikes.

* Also, the salt you see cyclists carrying is probably something else.

Carrera said:
I don't get it. We've seen this before with The Satanic Verses.

And even more recently with regards to the Iranian President's speeches...

Carrera said:
Most of the people burning images and books on the streets of Tehran hadn't even read the book so they had no idea what was what.

Same goes for the Iranian President's speeches. All they read are the misquotes and what Tony Says. The press should be required to print the full text of these speeches, hopefully that would bore everyone to death and their readership would drop to zero. Once we're at that point ordinary human decency might have a fighting chance of taking hold.

As far as Satanic verses goes, Salman Rushdie appeared to express a very warped view of Islam in that book. IIRC he did go on record as saying that he did intend the book to provoke and anger the Muslim community. He got what he wanted, then he had a whine about it and the rest is history. I am undecided as to whether he's an idiot or a creep, perhaps he is both.

From what little I can recall of that book I deduce that he is a second rate writer and a third rate thinker. I found it somewhat galling that he enjoyed considerable expediture at the Tax Payer's expense to keep his vainglorious carcass in one piece.

Spiritualists throughout the world are up in arms following a condemnation by Astrologer-to-the-Stars Jonathan Gainer of Ouija as evil. Various groups of table-shakers and wineglass-shovers have demanded an apology from Mr. Gainer and there are widespread reports of star charts being burned.
Spiritualist leaders have described Astrology as an "ignorant supersticion" and denounced it's believers as "still living in the dark ages".
An attempt by tealeaf and tarot readers to defuse the situation by asking both parties to "strike a happy medium" has led to further outbreaks of violence.

It seems to me your posts always tend to carry this central message of defence of Islam - more so than any other religion. This seems strange from someone who professes to be an atheist (not that it's any concern of mine what religion someone happens to lean towards).
At any rate, I believe that while the Islamic World continues to adopt this current attitude, it's always going to lag behind the U.S. and Europe (or China). Myself I couldn't care less what the Pope may or may not say, even if he attacked my own ideology. If he did, I would simply counter it with a reasoned response and do my best to defend my philosophy. You wouldn't catch me shouting and screaming - probably your own response when Benedict's comments became publicized. :(

darkboong said:
And even more recently with regards to the Iranian President's speeches...

Same goes for the Iranian President's speeches. All they read are the misquotes and what Tony Says. The press should be required to print the full text of these speeches, hopefully that would bore everyone to death and their readership would drop to zero. Once we're at that point ordinary human decency might have a fighting chance of taking hold.

As far as Satanic verses goes, Salman Rushdie appeared to express a very warped view of Islam in that book. IIRC he did go on record as saying that he did intend the book to provoke and anger the Muslim community. He got what he wanted, then he had a whine about it and the rest is history. I am undecided as to whether he's an idiot or a creep, perhaps he is both.

From what little I can recall of that book I deduce that he is a second rate writer and a third rate thinker. I found it somewhat galling that he enjoyed considerable expediture at the Tax Payer's expense to keep his vainglorious carcass in one piece.

I'm surprised the Islamo Fascists havent yet blamed the USA or Israel for the Popes comments. Im sure its coming though.

Remember these are not a majority. Egypt and Jordan are homes to far more moderate moslems, I believe.
I'm not claiming all Moslems are Islamo Fascists or even retarded or any such view. What I do say is this region of the globe has put way way too much focus on God, Allah and religion at the expense of self-induced social development and scientific progress.
The U.S. has also been held back by religion but nothing like as much as in the Middle East. Evolutionists in the Southern States were nearly driven out of schools by law but they fought their case and survived.
Anyway, what we are seeing is the un-educated masses in some of these countries shouting blood and hellfire. Fortunately there are saner voices in the Arab World.

thebluetrain said:
I'm surprised the Islamo Fascists havent yet blamed the USA or Israel for the Popes comments. Im sure its coming though.

Being raised Catholic, there is nothing more sacred then a nun. A lid better be put on this situation quickly. Nothing will turn the tide against the Muslem world quicker then just what they did. They will be at Allah's feet quicker then what they are planning on.

limerickman said:
......support his comments on what exactly?
Specifically? This…”.The pope quoted 14th-century Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologus who said: "Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."

In look what we have here…Evidence that the statement above is spot on….Killing a nun? Ok, I wonder what the reaction would be if a cleric was murdered in such a cowardly fashion….

Sept. 17, 2006, 11:24AM
Nun's murder linked to pope's comments

</SPAN>

By MOHAMED SHEIKH NOR
Associated Press

MOGADISHU, Somalia -- Two gunmen killed an Italian nun and her bodyguard at a hospital today, and a security official for an Islamic militia controlling the capital speculated the attack was linked to worldwide Muslim anger over a speech by Pope Benedict XVI.

The nun, whose identify was not released, was shot in the back four times at the entrance to the Austrian-run S.O.S. Hospital in northern Mogadishu, said Dr. Mohamed Yusuf, a physician at the facility, which serves mothers and children.

In my opinion a religious war is imminent and will be a worldwide event. The winners will decide who was righteous in their cause.
Everyone pick a side!
I am going with the Christians.

jhuskey said:
In my opinion a religious war is imminent and will be a worldwide event. The winners will decide who was righteous in their cause.
Everyone pick a side!
If they keep killing nuns, I think you are correct, it will spin up real quick...

MountainPro said:
i'm with the lions...

They said they are sitting this one out. The animals always come up on the short end when dealing with humans.

This is in response to the Popes comments.....

CAIRO, Egypt (AP) -- An al-Qaida-linked extremist group warned Pope Benedict XVI on Monday that he and the West were "doomed," as protesters returned to the streets across the Muslim world to demand more of an apology from the pontiff for his remarks about Islam and violence.

The Mujahedeen Shura Council, an umbrella organization of Sunni Arab extremist groups that includes al-Qaida in Iraq, issued a statement on a Web forum vowing to continue its holy war against the West. The authenticity of the statement could not be independently verified.

The group said Muslims would be victorious and addressed the pope as "the worshipper of the cross" saying "you and the West are doomed as you can see from the defeat in Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya and elsewhere. ...We will break up the cross, spill the liquor and impose head tax, then the only thing acceptable is a conversion (to Islam) or (killed by) the sword."

Gee, sounds like this eh????

'Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached.'"

Religion as a whole is intolerant. Catholic conquistadores forced their own interpretation of faith on the Indians in South America, terrorising and wiping out the population. This wasn't exactly the brand of Christianity the early Christians endorsed.
Same thing with Islam today. It depends who does the interpreting. Muhammad Ali would feel sickened by the violence.
There's only way ahead. Religion needs to remain as religion in a secular environment and religion should never be allowed to be involved in politics. Religion is supposed to be about spiritual issues and peace - not war or politics.

jhuskey said:
Everyone pick a side!

Carrera said:
Religion as a whole is intolerant. Catholic conquistadores forced their own interpretation of faith on the Indians in South America, terrorising and wiping out the population. This wasn't exactly the brand of Christianity the early Christians endorsed.
Same thing with Islam today. It depends who does the interpreting. Muhammad Ali would feel sickened by the violence.
There's only way ahead. Religion needs to remain as religion in a secular environment and religion should never be allowed to be involved in politics. Religion is supposed to be about spiritual issues and peace - not war or politics.
Sorry crappy, that was then and this is now....When is the last time you heard modern era christians killing innocent civilians and calling for their heads?

In the past, people were a little more barbaric than sophisticated people of today....

Think about it..according to the extremists, Davidmc would have his head cut off because he has no god at all.....