Flat pedals and crutches.

Martin Dann

Guest
I have been trying to replace one of my SPD pedals with a flat pedal,
and as usual I cannot unscrew the pedal.
A while back I thought I saw some pedal flats that clip onto a spd to
turn it into a flat pedal, does anyone know where I might get some of these?

Secondly has anyone ever carried crutches on a bike, and if so how?
I managed to carry one last night tied and carabinered to the frame and
seat, but am unsure how safe it is.

btw. I cycled about 1.5 miles last night around Clifton downs, the first
cycling for seven weeks.

Martin.

"Martin Dann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Secondly has anyone ever carried crutches on a bike, and if so how?
> I managed to carry one last night tied and carabinered to the frame and
> seat, but am unsure how safe it is.

I attached (probably via bungees, strapped to the side) a bit of drainpipe
vertically to the back rack while my wife had a leg in plaster. Drop the
crutches in, they stay there. Worked very well...

cheers,
clive

On Feb 3, 5:35 pm, Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Secondly has anyone ever carried crutches on a bike, and if so how?
> I managed to carry one last night tied and carabinered to the frame and
> seat, but am unsure how safe it is.
>
> btw. I cycled about 1.5 miles last night around Clifton downs, the first
> cycling for seven weeks.

Well done. My completely non medical opinion is that getting back on
a bike as soon as possible is important - if only for preservation of
sanity!

I've carried crutches on a specially adapted tandem (essentially a
wheelchair on the front) for someone who couldn't walk very well. His
crutches could fit under the handlebars when they were collapsed and
held in place with a couple of pedal straps.

If tying to the frame it might be better to use something stretchy
like bungees (as Clive suggests) and pull them tight so if they slip
they should still be quite secure.

peter

Martin Dann wrote:

>I have been trying to replace one of my SPD pedals with a flat pedal,
>and as usual I cannot unscrew the pedal.

The usual advice here is to check you are turning it the correct
way...

Bike upright
Cranks horizontal
Pedal at the front
Spanner covering the crank
Press down.

If they haven't been off in a while you may need a bigger lever.

>A while back I thought I saw some pedal flats that clip onto a spd to
>turn it into a flat pedal, does anyone know where I might get some of these?
>
>Secondly has anyone ever carried crutches on a bike, and if so how?
>I managed to carry one last night tied and carabinered to the frame and
>seat, but am unsure how safe it is.

I think I might be happer with a couple of velcro straps holding them
parallel to the top tube as done with fishing rods etc.

In message <[email protected]>
Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:

> Secondly has anyone ever carried crutches on a bike, and if so how?
> I managed to carry one last night tied and carabinered to the frame and
> seat, but am unsure how safe it is.

well I remember the lamp-lighter carrying a ladder with his arm
through the rungs..

WaterBoard Turnkeys with the keys and listening device strapped to the
cross bar.

There's a chap who cycles to the station daily with one crutch; I
think he has a loop from his saddle rails and the crutch is passed
into this and the other end is just rested on the handle bars..

Try a tennis racket clip on the front fork?

--
Charles
Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park

On Feb 3, 5:35 pm, Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have been trying to replace one of my SPD pedals with a flat pedal,
> and as usual I cannot unscrew the pedal.
> A while back I thought I saw some pedal flats that clip onto a spd to
> turn it into a flat pedal, does anyone know where I might get some of these?

Often sold on new bikes so that the spd pedals have reflectors. Try
your LBS, they'll probably have a few.
The official Shimano part number is SM-PD22:
"Molded resin platform with reflectors for most SPD pedal models: fits
PD-M959, M540, M520, M515, M505 (does not fit older M747, M646, M535,
or M324 style pedals)
Snaps into one side of SPD clipless pedal mechanism to provide a
stable pedaling platform for non-SPD style shoes
Sold as a pair"

I couldn't find any for sale in the UK, though. Good luck

PhilO

Martin Dann wrote:
> Secondly has anyone ever carried crutches on a bike, and if so how?
> I managed to carry one last night tied and carabinered to the frame and
> seat, but am unsure how safe it is.

In my fitter days I sometimes used to cycle in to town with a kayak
paddle (about 2 metres long) tied to the top tube with a luggage strap
(I needed to be fit, 12 mile round trip with either a canoe polo
tournament or an all day river trip keeps you on your toes!). Most
types of crutch should be able to be carried in a very similar way,
though too much sticking out at the back may make (dis)mounting a
little more tricky if you've got a dodgy leg.

Graeme

In article <[email protected]>, Martin Dann
[email protected] says...

> Secondly has anyone ever carried crutches on a bike, and if so how?
> I managed to carry one last night tied and carabinered to the frame and
> seat, but am unsure how safe it is.

I used to strap mine down the LHS of the rear rack (vertical-ish,
inclined back a bit) with a couple of toe straps.

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 17:35:18 GMT, Martin Dann wrote:

> I have been trying to replace one of my SPD pedals with a flat pedal,
> and as usual I cannot unscrew the pedal.

a) ensure you are attempting to turn it in the correct direction.

b) use a long, well-fitting spanner

c) if a) and b) do not suffice, remove crankarm, dis-assemble pedal, grip
pedal flats in stout vice, attach a long bar to the crankarm (I use hose
clamps). Repeat a) and then turn the end of the bar.

On 3 Feb, 17:35, Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:

> A while back I thought I saw some pedal flats that clip onto a spd to
> turn it into a flat pedal, does anyone know where I might get some of these?
>
> Martin.

I have a pair of reflector platforms for my Crank Brother Candy
pedals. Trouble is they drop off if you clip into the pedal. I don't
think you'd have this problem with SPD as it is a different clip
design, but if you were thinking of changing be aware!

Steve C