Florida Passes New Bike Law !!!!!!!

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 20:07:14 +0000, Wayne Pein wrote:

> Matt O'Toole wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 00:50:54 +0000, Wayne Pein wrote:
>>

>>>I don't see the point in passing clearance laws. First, they are
>>>unenforceable.

>> That's not the point. First, when there's a question about how close
>> is too close, it defines a standard. Second, it lets motorists know
>> that passing too close is breaking the law.

> A law should be enforceable if it is to be a law. If education is the
> purpose, then there should be an education campaign.

Maybe there should be but there isn't. We have to work with what we have.

Many laws are impractical to enforce, but they keep most law abiding
citizens in line.

> Further, there
> typically are laws that say one shouldn't drive in a manner that could
> be hazardous to others. Passing closely falls in that category.

We're not writing assembly language code here, we're writing law -- from
which policy and public information campaigns are drawn. Cast a bunch of
seeds, and maybe a few will take root and thrive.

>>>Second, by specifiying a distance, it implies motorists are legally
>>>entitled to use the bicyclist's lane for passing. Currently, to my
>>>knowledge, it does not say in any state that motorists may pass in the
>>>same lane. It is common behavior, but not actually legally allowed.

>> Upgrade your knowledge. In CA, for example, it's perfectly legal for
>> more than one vehicle of any type to share the same lane.

> This allows filtering forward to make right turns, etc. On desert
>> highways it's not uncommon for a slower vehicle to ease to the right,
>> straddling the shoulder if necessary, so faster vehicles can pass in
>> the same lane where there's a double yellow line for tens of miles.

> Yes, the lane sharer has allowed it. This is different than codifying
> that bicyclists must share their lane,

Where/how are we codifying that bicyclists must share their lane?

> which I believe passing clearance
> laws bring us one step closer to.

Now you're really grasping.

>>>Motorists don't pass other motorists in the same lane.

>> Yes they do. They pass street sweepers, mail carriers, garbage trucks,
>> farm tractors, highway maintenance vehicles, etc. -- all slow moving
>> vehicles like bicycles.

> Such passing typically does not occur where there are marked lanes, or
> if the lanes are marked, generally the passing motorist entirely changes
> lanes because these vehicles are wide.

Nonsense.

> Perhaps you should upgrade your knowledge about wind blast
> effect/research. 3 feet is not always plenty of room. It is only plenty
> of room when there is low speed differential, which the statute does not
> address.

It doesn't matter. It's like blood alcohol level. If it's above the
legal limit you're statutorily drunk, but you can still be convicted of
drunk driving with a BAL below the legal limit, if there's enough other
evidence your driving was impaired by alcohol. This actually happens.

So if wind blast, or spray, or whatever is a problem, a truck driver
could still be convicted of passing too close, even if he didn't get
closer than the legal 3' limit. All you need is witnesses who say he was
too close, however close he really was. Closer than 3' just makes it
automatic, in the same way an over-limit BAL makes a drunk driving
conviction automatic.

Matt O.

Mark Hickey wrote:

> Wayne Pein <[email protected]> wrote:
>>This is the way I ride also. I willingly share my lane most of the time.
>>My point is that it is not codified in traffic law that bicyclist MUST
>>share their lane. I believe the 3 ft clearance requirement is a step
>>toward that end though.

> Why does a mandated 3 foot clearance do anything to take the lane away
> from you? All it says to me is that a pass must be done safely -
> whether the cyclist is riding in the gutter or in the middle of the
> lane.

Since lanes are typically 10 ft wide or more and bicyclists typically
ride at their right side, specifying a 3 ft clearance codifies that
motorists are entitled to use the bicyclist's lane to pass rather than
change lanes as would be the case in almost all circumstances when
passing motor vehicles. It puts into law that it really isn't the
bicyclist's lane but some kind of quasi shared space.

A 3 ft passing clearance does not say a pass must be done safely. It
says a pass must be at 3 ft minimum. 3 ft at 45 mph differential, for
example, is not safe. Often when approaching a light I'll stay right to
allow motorists to get ahead. They may pass at about 2 feet but its very
slow and non threatening. But they motorist would have broken the law.
These are 2 examples why the law is an ass.

Wayne

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 20:07:14 +0000, Wayne Pein wrote:

>>Yes, the lane sharer has allowed it. This is different than codifying
>>that bicyclists must share their lane,

> Where/how are we codifying that bicyclists must share their lane?
>

>>which I believe passing clearance
>>laws bring us one step closer to.

> Now you're really grasping.

I believe you are in denial.

>>>Yes they do. They pass street sweepers, mail carriers, garbage trucks,
>>>farm tractors, highway maintenance vehicles, etc. -- all slow moving
>>>vehicles like bicycles.

>>Such passing typically does not occur where there are marked lanes, or
>>if the lanes are marked, generally the passing motorist entirely changes
>>lanes because these vehicles are wide.

> Nonsense.

This is what happens in my world.

>>Perhaps you should upgrade your knowledge about wind blast
>>effect/research. 3 feet is not always plenty of room. It is only plenty
>>of room when there is low speed differential, which the statute does not
>>address.

> It doesn't matter. It's like blood alcohol level. If it's above the
> legal limit you're statutorily drunk, but you can still be convicted of
> drunk driving with a BAL below the legal limit, if there's enough other
> evidence your driving was impaired by alcohol. This actually happens.
>
> So if wind blast, or spray, or whatever is a problem, a truck driver
> could still be convicted of passing too close, even if he didn't get
> closer than the legal 3' limit. All you need is witnesses who say he was
> too close, however close he really was.

Oh yea, witnesses. LOL.

Closer than 3' just makes it
> automatic, in the same way an over-limit BAL makes a drunk driving
> conviction automatic.

So if a motorist passes at 2.8 feet in a slow approach he is guilty?

You are rationalizing. The law is an ass.

Wayne

The NC Driver's Handbook, which every motorist uses to take the written
exam says,

"Bicyclists usually ride on the right side of the lane, but are entitled
to the use of a full lane.

Pass With Care
A bicyclist staying to the right in their (sic) lane is accommodating
the (sic) following drivers by making it easier to see when it is safe
to pass, and easier to execute the pass. Drivers wishing to pass a
bicyclist may do so only when there is abundant clearance and no
oncoming traffic is in the opposing lane. When passing a bicyclist,
always remember the bicyclist is entitled to the use of the full lane."

A couple of years ago I knew that the NC DMV was going to rewrite the
Driver's Handbook, so I contacted the appropriate people and wrote what
I thought should be in the bicycling chapter. They used most of my work
which can be seen at:

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_services/drivershandbook/chapter6/bicycles.html

I wish the DMV used my words verbatim rather that butchering the
grammar. The pdf version uses graphics to show what a Left Cross, Right
Hook, and Drive Out collision are.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_services/drivershandbook/download/NCDL_English.pdf

Wayne

Wayne Pein wrote:
> gds wrote:
>

> > But many things in society are accomplished through education and
> > having a "reasonable" passing distance "out there" strike me as more a
> > positive than a negative.
> >

> Education is a sign like "Pass Bicycle Drivers with Care" or something
> similar.
>
> Here in NC there are signs saying something like "Slow Down and Move
> Over for Stopped Emergency Vehicles" and "Slow Moving Busses Use This
> Highway."
>
> Wayne

I think "Give Cyclists Five Feet" is very educational. And it is very
similar to the signs like "Give Them a Brake" or "My momom works here"
posted near construction zones. I think your idea of educatiion is a
bit too narrow.

gds wrote:

> I think "Give Cyclists Five Feet" is very educational. And it is very
> similar to the signs like "Give Them a Brake" or "My momom works here"
> posted near construction zones. I think your idea of educatiion is a
> bit too narrow.

I think your idea of education is too specific, and imposes a measure
motorists do not well understand: distance. Heck, bicyclists don't
understand distance, as evidenced by the proclamations of passing
distance in this thread, which has been reported at 2 inchs, 1 foot, etc.

Your "Give Them a Brake" or "My momom works here" examples are generic.
The messages are intended to induce generalized caution. They don't say
"Give Them a Brake of 0.3 gees" or "My Mom Works Here, But It's OK to
Kill Other Workers."

Wayne

Wayne Pein wrote:
> gds wrote:
>

> > I think "Give Cyclists Five Feet" is very educational. And it is very
> > similar to the signs like "Give Them a Brake" or "My momom works here"
> > posted near construction zones. I think your idea of educatiion is a
> > bit too narrow.
> >

> I think your idea of education is too specific, and imposes a measure
> motorists do not well understand: distance. Heck, bicyclists don't
> understand distance, as evidenced by the proclamations of passing
> distance in this thread, which has been reported at 2 inchs, 1 foot, etc.
>
> Your "Give Them a Brake" or "My momom works here" examples are generic.
> The messages are intended to induce generalized caution. They don't say
> "Give Them a Brake of 0.3 gees" or "My Mom Works Here, But It's OK to
> Kill Other Workers."
>
> Wayne

You are entitled to your opinion. As usual I find I don't agree with
you.

On 8 Oct 2006 17:41:55 -0700, "Beach Runner" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Motorists must leave 3 feet of clearance when passing a bicyclist.
>
>I'm usually satisfied with 2 inches!!!!!
>
>http://news.yahoo.com/s/wpbf/20061002/lo_wpbf/9977279

Particularly in Florida, merely making something illegal will not keep
it from happening; if that were true, we would need no police.

I would caution Florida riders to increase their vigilance and perhaps
add a rear-view mirror to their gear at this point. In my opinion, if
the reaction to the new law can be predicted in any manner, it is that
there will be assholes around who will *intentionally* see just how
close they can come to cyclists when they perceive that there is no
enforcement possible.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack wrote:

> Particularly in Florida, merely making something illegal will not keep
> it from happening; if that were true, we would need no police.
>
> I would caution Florida riders to increase their vigilance and perhaps
> add a rear-view mirror to their gear at this point. In my opinion, if
> the reaction to the new law can be predicted in any manner, it is that
> there will be assholes around who will *intentionally* see just how
> close they can come to cyclists when they perceive that there is no
> enforcement possible.

I agree. Except that I don't know what a rear view mirror will do except
to create more paranoia.

Wayne

Wayne Pein wrote:
> Daryl Hunt wrote:

> > Yes, they are inforcable.

> No, it is not enforceable. "Officer, that bad motorist passed me with
> only 2 ft 9 inches clearance. Arrest him!" "Son, it looked like 3 ft 1
> inch to me."

You won't get anywhere by telling a cop that somebody passed you going
at least 30 mph faster while you were going at the speed limit either.
But that doesn't mean speeding laws can't be enforced; just that it
requires some effort by the police to monitor compliance. This law
could also be enforced, but probably won't be. All it would take is
one officer to ride a bike with a device like that used by the
researcher in the UK who studied passing distances and he could signal
ahead to someone in a patrol car who would pull over the offender.
Preferably the rider would not be wearing the usual black shirt with
"POLICE" in block letters on the back.

Do I think that'll be done? No, but I still think the law has some
benefits. When an accident does occur the motorist frequently claims
that the cyclist swerved into his path. That's hard to counter if the
'swerve' could be as little as a few inches, but there may well be
witnesses and/or physical evidence that shows that any such swerve was
under 3'. The minimum distance would also be useful in educating
motorists about their responsibilities when passing cyclists,
especially if included in public service announcements or in letters
sent to motorists in response to complaints by cyclists of particularly
dangerous passing.

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:56:19 +0000, Wayne Pein wrote:

> Matt O'Toole wrote:

>> On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 20:07:14 +0000, Wayne Pein wrote:

>>> 3 feet is not always plenty of room. It is only plenty of room when
>>> there is low speed differential, which the statute does not address.

>> It doesn't matter. It's like blood alcohol level. If it's above the
>> legal limit you're statutorily drunk, but you can still be convicted of
>> drunk driving with a BAL below the legal limit, if there's enough other
>> evidence your driving was impaired by alcohol. This actually happens.

>> So if wind blast, or spray, or whatever is a problem, a truck driver
>> could still be convicted of passing too close, even if he didn't get
>> closer than the legal 3' limit.

>> Closer than 3' just makes it automatic, in the same way an over-limit
>> BAL makes a drunk driving conviction automatic.

> So if a motorist passes at 2.8 feet in a slow approach he is guilty?

No, read what I wrote again. Even if the legal limit is 3', a driver
could still be convicted of passing too close at 5', or whatever. The 3'
limit just makes passing closer than that an automatic violation.

> The law is an ass.

Sometimes, but one should understand how it works before trying to
re-architect it.

Matt O.

peter wrote:

No, but I still think the law has some
> benefits. When an accident does occur the motorist frequently claims
> that the cyclist swerved into his path. That's hard to counter if the
> 'swerve' could be as little as a few inches, but there may well be
> witnesses and/or physical evidence that shows that any such swerve was
> under 3'. The minimum distance would also be useful in educating
> motorists about their responsibilities when passing cyclists,
> especially if included in public service announcements or in letters
> sent to motorists in response to complaints by cyclists of particularly
> dangerous passing.

How about this for enforcement:

If a lawfully operating bicyclist gets struck from behind it is
automatically the motorists' fault because he chose to pass within the
bicyclist's lane. If a motorist strikes a lawfully operating motorist
from behind, the striker is at fault, so such a standard already exists.
It simply needs to be applied to bicycle drivers.

How about this for education:

Pass with pleny of clearance and at slow speed, just like you would like
to be passed. Teaching motorists that 3' is the minimum passing distance
is like teaching a buffalo to sing.

Folks, motorists already know their responsibilities when passing
bicyclists. It's to be courteous. Further, 3' is woefully inadequate
under useful conditions, those times when high speed passing.

Wayne

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:56:19 +0000, Wayne Pein wrote:
>

>>The law is an ass.

> Sometimes, but one should understand how it works before trying to
> re-architect it.

How are minimum passing clearance laws working in other states that have
had them?

A. Fabulously well. Most motorists now love bicyclists, waving as they
pass. Many offenders are behind bars.
B. Well. Many hit from behind collisions have been avoided, and
motorists have an Adopt a Cyclist program.
C. Huh?
D. A single motorist got a slap on the wrist for passing 2.5 feet
E. Motorists are sick of whiny bicyclists and see how close they can
pass and get away with it, kinda like a rolling stop at signs.

Wayne

Wayne Pein wrote:

> Folks, motorists already know their responsibilities when passing
> bicyclists. It's to be courteous.

I'm not sure about that. While I don't get hassled much, I
occasionally hear "GET ON THE SIDEWALK!!"

I think some of those lamebrains actually _don't_ know the rules or
responsibilities.

What was that quote? Something like "Never ascribe to malice what can
be explained by stupidity."

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] wrote:
> Wayne Pein wrote:
> >

> > Folks, motorists already know their responsibilities when passing
> > bicyclists. It's to be courteous.

> I'm not sure about that. While I don't get hassled much, I
> occasionally hear "GET ON THE SIDEWALK!!"
>
> I think some of those lamebrains actually _don't_ know the rules or
> responsibilities.
>
> What was that quote? Something like "Never ascribe to malice what can
> be explained by stupidity."
>
> - Frank Krygowski

I agree. However, in many threads with Wayne posting I find that in the
end his actual behavior is not nearly so extreme as his stated
"positions." I guess he feels it necessary to stake out the hard
position on cyclist rights because he sees so much abuse by motorists.
Personally I find his descriptions of how he actually rides much more
persuasive than the hard line he espouses. I'd like to think that
reasonable trumps extreme.

On 2006-10-10, Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 8 Oct 2006 17:41:55 -0700, "Beach Runner" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Motorists must leave 3 feet of clearance when passing a bicyclist.
>>
>>I'm usually satisfied with 2 inches!!!!!
>>
>>http://news.yahoo.com/s/wpbf/20061002/lo_wpbf/9977279

> Particularly in Florida, merely making something illegal will not keep
> it from happening; if that were true, we would need no police.
>
> I would caution Florida riders to increase their vigilance and perhaps
> add a rear-view mirror to their gear at this point. In my opinion, if
> the reaction to the new law can be predicted in any manner, it is that
> there will be assholes around who will *intentionally* see just how
> close they can come to cyclists when they perceive that there is no
> enforcement possible.

Maybe a 3' long fiberglass pole with bright orange flag and a carbide
tip might be in order? :)

--

John ([email protected])

gds wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>>Wayne Pein wrote:
>>

>>>Folks, motorists already know their responsibilities when passing
>>>bicyclists. It's to be courteous.

>>I'm not sure about that. While I don't get hassled much, I
>>occasionally hear "GET ON THE SIDEWALK!!"
>>
>>I think some of those lamebrains actually _don't_ know the rules or
>>responsibilities.
>>
>>What was that quote? Something like "Never ascribe to malice what can
>>be explained by stupidity."
>>
>>- Frank Krygowski

> I agree. However, in many threads with Wayne posting I find that in the
> end his actual behavior is not nearly so extreme as his stated
> "positions." I guess he feels it necessary to stake out the hard
> position on cyclist rights because he sees so much abuse by motorists.
> Personally I find his descriptions of how he actually rides much more
> persuasive than the hard line he espouses. I'd like to think that
> reasonable trumps extreme.

GDS,

My allegedly extreme positions are due your complicit acceptance of bad
laws.

Wayne
I can say black, you'd say white.

"Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Matt O'Toole wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:56:19 +0000, Wayne Pein wrote:
>>

>>>The law is an ass.

>> Sometimes, but one should understand how it works before trying to
>> re-architect it.
>>

> How are minimum passing clearance laws working in other states that have
> had them?
>
> A. Fabulously well. Most motorists now love bicyclists, waving as they
> pass. Many offenders are behind bars.
> B. Well. Many hit from behind collisions have been avoided, and motorists
> have an Adopt a Cyclist program.
> C. Huh?
> D. A single motorist got a slap on the wrist for passing 2.5 feet
> E. Motorists are sick of whiny bicyclists and see how close they can pass
> and get away with it, kinda like a rolling stop at signs.

Maybe you could find a state with a negative passing distance and go for a
bike ride.

This is a NO WHINING zone.

"Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> gds wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:

>>>I'm not sure about that. While I don't get hassled much, I
>>>occasionally hear "GET ON THE SIDEWALK!!"
>>>
>>>I think some of those lamebrains actually _don't_ know the rules or
>>>responsibilities.
>>>
>>>What was that quote? Something like "Never ascribe to malice what can
>>>be explained by stupidity."
>>>
>>>- Frank Krygowski

>> I agree. However, in many threads with Wayne posting I find that in the
>> end his actual behavior is not nearly so extreme as his stated
>> "positions." I guess he feels it necessary to stake out the hard
>> position on cyclist rights because he sees so much abuse by motorists.
>> Personally I find his descriptions of how he actually rides much more
>> persuasive than the hard line he espouses. I'd like to think that
>> reasonable trumps extreme.
>>

> GDS,
>
> My allegedly extreme positions are due your complicit acceptance of bad
> laws.

Maybe we can convince a state for you to move to to pass a law that
motorists use a 1 ft negative passing distance just for you. Of course,
everyone else will get at least a positive 3 ft. Then you can go for a bike
ride.