Gary,
I got the 1.25x27 70ps round tires and they are great running about 60
psi. I also got an extra flat edge tire with 75-95 psi, but havent' put
that one on yet.
Changing tires is hell with folding Kevlars. I spent a few times trying
to put on with hands only. Rubbed thumbs raw, couldn't quite do it, and
popped a few tubes practicing for road preperations.
Real happy though with tires and I'm 240 lbs +. No problems, smooth
rolling, and check air about every 2 to 3 weeks (regular Bell $3 tubes,
and not hole fill tubes - don't need that [censored]).
That's the best thing about having a 27" tire frame :-) Check out the
cheap pneumatic air pump. I use zefal hand pump, but its the kind that
works with lighter. Tires, tubes, and helmet are only things I haven't
returned to Walmart bike stuff. The rest is pretty much [censored], but sold
on the kevlar tires and adequate tubes. Just look for threads on inside
edge of tires - saw one of those bad tires looking in box. Its all from
China, but just inspect carefully: good tires.
Gary Young said:I was in Wal-Mart today and noticed that they had a line of steel-bead
tires that were folded flat and rolled the way kevlar-bead tires are.
They're made by Bell in 20", 24", 26", and 27" sizes and cost about $15. On
the back of the packaging was a line about "rugged carbon steel beads"
that allow folding.
I'd be great if this came to higher-quality tires, but something tells me
compromises were made. Anyone know the story?