Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Following someone's wheel when climbing

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 28 posts · 1,120 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
20 July 2004
Last activity
1 August 2004
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,120
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all,

    Something I've always wondered about but never quite understood: what
    is the benefit of hanging onto someone's rear wheel when climbing? Is
    there an actual physical benefit, for instance, an aerodynamic
    improvement at climbing speeds? Or is it a psychological one, from
    not having to set a pace, or some other reason?

    Thanks,

    Jason

  2. [email hidden said:

    "]Hi all,

    Something I've always wondered about but never quite understood: what
    is the benefit of hanging onto someone's rear wheel when climbing? Is
    there an actual physical benefit, for instance, an aerodynamic
    improvement at climbing speeds? Or is it a psychological one, from
    not having to set a pace, or some other reason?

    Thanks,

    Jason

    Yes, there is still some aerodynamic benefit.... diminished from higher speeds, but still some.
    Yes, there *can be* some psychological benefit, but it depends if you are "working well together". I have been on rides where I would follow some strong riders up hills and experienced both benefits. However, I have been dropped or heard "negative speak" in other situations... so you take your choices and chances.

  3. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    Something I've always wondered about but never quite understood: what
    is the benefit of hanging onto someone's rear wheel when climbing? Is
    there an actual physical benefit, for instance, an aerodynamic
    improvement at climbing speeds? Or is it a psychological one, from
    not having to set a pace, or some other reason?

    Thanks,

    Jason

    I think you should ask Ivan Basso that question, it's not done him any harm
    this past few days !

    Graham

  4. I read that at 20 mph, drafting a single rider reduced energy requirements by 18% and at 25 mph by 27% (Note that the front rider even saves about 5% because of the way air closes in from behind the front rider).

    Unfortunately on a calm day at speeds under 15 mph it is less likely that air resistance is greater then rolling resistance, so riding close will have little energy saving benefit.

    I believe that it has much more to do with the psychological benefit then energy savings.
    -JN

    [email hidden said:

    "]Hi all,

    Something I've always wondered about but never quite understood: what
    is the benefit of hanging onto someone's rear wheel when climbing? Is
    there an actual physical benefit, for instance, an aerodynamic
    improvement at climbing speeds? Or is it a psychological one, from
    not having to set a pace, or some other reason?

    Thanks,

    Jason

  5. "joeln" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I read that at 20 mph, drafting a single rider reduced energy
    requirements by 18% and at 25 mph by 27% (Note that the front rider
    even saves about 5% because of the way air closes in from behind the
    front rider).

    Unfortunately on a calm day at speeds under 15 mph it is less likely
    that air resistance is greater then rolling resistance, so riding close
    will have little energy saving benefit.

    I believe that it has much more to do with the psychological benefit
    then energy savings.
    -JN

    The question that I have never had a satisfying answer to is, what are the
    effects on the lead rider when two riders are going up a climb and the
    second rider is right on the rear wheel on the first rider? The reason I
    ask is that I have heard Paul Sherwin say many times that having a rider on
    your real wheel going up hill actually will slow the lead rider down. It
    doesn't make any sense to me but I have never a factual answer..just a bunch
    of opinions without and data.

  6. If you are going fast enough there is an aero benefits, however, that is not
    the
    only benefit. I find motivation in following someone else being your
    typical
    competitive person and not having to look up the hill and see the upcoming
    grade, how much further it is to the next bend of the top benefits me
    greatly.
    When alone or in the front I find myself no longer looking up the whole of
    the climb but doing the "series rubber band thing." That is where you find
    something to focus on, be it a shadow, paint mark on the road, water bar
    on the trail and focus on getting there, then once there picking another
    focus object and concentrating on getting there over and over again.

    "RWM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "joeln" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I read that at 20 mph, drafting a single rider reduced energy
    requirements by 18% and at 25 mph by 27% (Note that the front rider
    even saves about 5% because of the way air closes in from behind the
    front rider).

    Unfortunately on a calm day at speeds under 15 mph it is less likely
    that air resistance is greater then rolling resistance, so riding close
    will have little energy saving benefit.

    I believe that it has much more to do with the psychological benefit
    then energy savings.
    -JN

    The question that I have never had a satisfying answer to is, what are the
    effects on the lead rider when two riders are going up a climb and the
    second rider is right on the rear wheel on the first rider? The reason I
    ask is that I have heard Paul Sherwin say many times that having a rider


    on

    Quoted message said:

    your real wheel going up hill actually will slow the lead rider down. It
    doesn't make any sense to me but I have never a factual answer..just a


    bunch

    Quoted message said:

    of opinions without and data.

  7. "Raymo853" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you are going fast enough there is an aero benefits, however, that is


    not

    Quoted message said:

    the
    only benefit. I find motivation in following someone else being your
    typical
    competitive person and not having to look up the hill and see the upcoming
    grade, how much further it is to the next bend of the top benefits me
    greatly.
    When alone or in the front I find myself no longer looking up the whole of
    the climb but doing the "series rubber band thing." That is where you


    find

    Quoted message said:

    something to focus on, be it a shadow, paint mark on the road, water bar
    on the trail and focus on getting there, then once there picking another
    focus object and concentrating on getting there over and over again.

    I guess I wasn't clear in my question. I am looking for the effects on the
    lead rider. Does anyone have any data?

    Quoted message said:

    "RWM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "joeln" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I read that at 20 mph, drafting a single rider reduced energy
    requirements by 18% and at 25 mph by 27% (Note that the front rider
    even saves about 5% because of the way air closes in from behind the
    front rider).

    Unfortunately on a calm day at speeds under 15 mph it is less likely
    that air resistance is greater then rolling resistance, so riding


    close

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    will have little energy saving benefit.

    I believe that it has much more to do with the psychological benefit
    then energy savings.
    -JN

    The question that I have never had a satisfying answer to is, what are


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    effects on the lead rider when two riders are going up a climb and the
    second rider is right on the rear wheel on the first rider? The reason


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ask is that I have heard Paul Sherwin say many times that having a rider


    on

    Quoted message said:

    your real wheel going up hill actually will slow the lead rider down.


    It

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    doesn't make any sense to me but I have never a factual answer..just a


    bunch

    Quoted message said:

    of opinions without and data.

  8. RWM said:

    The question that I have never had a satisfying answer to is, what are the
    effects on the lead rider when two riders are going up a climb and the
    second rider is right on the rear wheel on the first rider? The reason I
    ask is that I have heard Paul Sherwin say many times that having a rider on
    your real wheel going up hill actually will slow the lead rider down.

    That is certainly nonsense. May not help the lead rider any, but
    certainly won't slow him down.

    Quoted message said:

    doesn't make any sense to me but I have never a factual answer..just a
    bunch of opinions without and data.

    What sort of data would you expect to be able to collect?

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but
    _`\(,_ | what canst thou say? -- George Fox.
    (_)/ (_) |

  9. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    joeln said:


    I read that at 20 mph, drafting a single rider reduced energy
    requirements by 18% and at 25 mph by 27% (Note that the front rider
    even saves about 5% because of the way air closes in from behind the
    front rider).

    Unfortunately on a calm day at speeds under 15 mph it is less likely
    that air resistance is greater then rolling resistance, so riding close
    will have little energy saving benefit.

    _ You're forgetting that this happens outside in real mountains
    where it is almost always windy. Doesn't matter if you're going
    5mph[1], if there's a 10pmh headwind, drafting will be beneficial.

    _ Booker C. Bense

    [1]- They climb at roughly 12-14 mph which is where drafting
    starts to be useful, add even a slight headwind and you get
    to a speed that everybody agrees that drafting helps.

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBQP7MYGTWTAjn5N/lAQFcSQP+JSN0NX9zvLnqpIx3r3XSw/AKVc56SqSd
    N8VBaAiJHFu5ZQn3BfMdqIHXUpqPxY3uGQyF/VfFg/exQbse3Ux3YURMhYnYGS/P
    myY2M0LP6Nf2ZyTxXBaRUFeuZA77+rXphA2DpSsqiOW54/hI2xerCKDA6in2RefD
    lLafH1WpEkc=
    =1urs
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  10. "David L. Johnson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    RWM said:

    The question that I have never had a satisfying answer to is, what are


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    effects on the lead rider when two riders are going up a climb and the
    second rider is right on the rear wheel on the first rider? The reason


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ask is that I have heard Paul Sherwin say many times that having a rider


    on

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    your real wheel going up hill actually will slow the lead rider down.

    That is certainly nonsense. May not help the lead rider any, but
    certainly won't slow him down.

    Quoted message said:

    doesn't make any sense to me but I have never a factual answer..just a
    bunch of opinions without and data.

    What sort of data would you expect to be able to collect?

    I am looking for someone who either has tested the effects or a pointer to a
    formula, similar to the type of information available at
    http://www.analyticcycling.com/. The have great data about the many cycling
    situations.

  11. RWM said:


    The question that I have never had a satisfying answer to is, what
    are the effects on the lead rider when two riders are going up a
    climb and the second rider is right on the rear wheel on the first
    rider? The reason I ask is that I have heard Paul Sherwin say many
    times that having a rider on your real wheel going up hill actually
    will slow the lead rider down. It doesn't make any sense to me but I
    have never a factual answer..just a bunch of opinions without and
    data.

    You sure that's what he said? Could've sworn I heard him today or yesterday
    say that the lead rider benefits by about 5%, whereas the drafting riders
    save something like 15 to 35 percent (depending on conditions, numbers,
    etc.).

    Bill "will seldom have to worry about it" S.

  12. "S o r n i" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    RWM said:


    The question that I have never had a satisfying answer to is, what
    are the effects on the lead rider when two riders are going up a
    climb and the second rider is right on the rear wheel on the first
    rider? The reason I ask is that I have heard Paul Sherwin say many
    times that having a rider on your real wheel going up hill actually
    will slow the lead rider down. It doesn't make any sense to me but I
    have never a factual answer..just a bunch of opinions without and
    data.

    You sure that's what he said? Could've sworn I heard him today or


    yesterday

    Quoted message said:

    say that the lead rider benefits by about 5%, whereas the drafting riders
    save something like 15 to 35 percent (depending on conditions, numbers,
    etc.).

    Bill "will seldom have to worry about it" S.

    I have not heard him say it during this years tour, but many times in the
    past races. I think that it is one of his throw away lines that he says
    when he gets excited.

  13. RWM said:

    The question that I have never had a satisfying answer to is, what are the
    effects on the lead rider when two riders are going up a climb and the
    second rider is right on the rear wheel on the first rider? The reason I
    ask is that I have heard Paul Sherwin say many times that having a rider on
    your real wheel going up hill actually will slow the lead rider down. It
    doesn't make any sense to me but I have never a factual answer..just a bunch
    of opinions without and data.

    He doesn't say that. He probably says that if there is a following
    rider who isn't working (taking turns in the front) it slows the
    lead rider down _psychologically_ because they don't want to tow
    the guy to the finish for free.

    The actual effect of drafting for the lead rider has been debated
    before on this group. If there is any benefit, it is very very
    small, too small to measure at speeds and following distances
    typical for bicycles.

  14. Just don't follow too closely unless you know HE knows what he's doing.
    If he stands up suddenly, his rear wheel could impact your front and you
    would end up on the ground.

    - -

    "May you have the wind at your back.
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    Chris'Z Corner
    http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  15. Quoted message said:
    RWM said:


    The question that I have never had a satisfying answer to is, what
    are the effects on the lead rider when two riders are going up a
    climb and the second rider is right on the rear wheel on the first
    rider? The reason I ask is that I have heard Paul Sherwin say many
    times that having a rider on your real wheel going up hill actually
    will slow the lead rider down. It doesn't make any sense to me but I
    have never a factual answer..just a bunch of opinions without and
    data.

    In general, any advantage from drafting goes up as the speed goes up.
    At climbing speeds I have always felt that drafting is pointless.

    -
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim Adney [email hidden]
    Madison, WI 53711 USA
    -----------------------------------------------

  16. Jim Adney said:
    Quoted message said:
    RWM said:


    The question that I have never had a satisfying answer to is, what
    are the effects on the lead rider when two riders are going up a
    climb and the second rider is right on the rear wheel on the first
    rider? The reason I ask is that I have heard Paul Sherwin say many
    times that having a rider on your real wheel going up hill actually
    will slow the lead rider down. It doesn't make any sense to me but I
    have never a factual answer..just a bunch of opinions without and
    data.

    In general, any advantage from drafting goes up as the speed goes up.
    At climbing speeds I have always felt that drafting is pointless.

    -
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim Adney [email hidden]
    Madison, WI 53711 USA
    -----------------------------------------------

    Dear Jim,

    The point that you make about drafting being of little value
    at climbing speeds always sounds reasonable and doesn't
    really matter to me anyway, since I ride alone, but now it
    occurs to me that preparation and planning and tactics may
    make the difference in a close race, so . . .

    There I am on my Fury RoadMaster behind Lance as we climb
    some wretched French mountain.

    He's younger, lighter, fitter, and trying to impress his
    girl friend. Spurred on by the ominous whizzing noise of my
    heavily treaded tires behind him, he's going as fast as he
    can.

    Should I hang on his rear wheel until we're almost at the
    finish line, craftily enjoying the benefit of drafting him?
    Or should I simply blast past him because the wind drag is
    the same in front as it is behind?

    How fast are we actually going, anyway? I toil up my daily
    400 foot climb at 10 to 12 mph, but surely Lance goes up
    steeper, longer climbs faster than this.

    I gather that wind drag becomes the biggest factor in level
    pedalling at around 15 mph. Armstrong averaged about 14.5
    mph on the Alp d'Huez, so I'm wondering if I should plan on
    drafting him on faster, less demanding climbs. Would sitting
    on his rear wheel be worth while at 18 mph or so?

    Walter Mitty

  17. [email hidden] wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I gather that wind drag becomes the biggest factor in level
    pedalling at around 15 mph. Armstrong averaged about 14.5
    mph on the Alp d'Huez, so I'm wondering if I should plan on
    drafting him on faster, less demanding climbs. Would sitting
    on his rear wheel be worth while at 18 mph or so?

    Just because you are going less than 15mph and wind drag is not the
    biggest factor does not mean that it is not still significant. So the
    answer is that you should always draft LA, even on the steeper climbs.

    JP

  18. Jim Adney <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    RWM said:


    The question that I have never had a satisfying answer to is, what
    are the effects on the lead rider when two riders are going up a
    climb and the second rider is right on the rear wheel on the first
    rider? The reason I ask is that I have heard Paul Sherwin say many
    times that having a rider on your real wheel going up hill actually
    will slow the lead rider down. It doesn't make any sense to me but I
    have never a factual answer..just a bunch of opinions without and
    data.

    In general, any advantage from drafting goes up as the speed goes up.
    At climbing speeds I have always felt that drafting is pointless.

    Painful perhaps, but not pointless.

    JP

  19. Jim Adney said:
    Quoted message said:
    RWM said:


    The question that I have never had a satisfying answer to is, what
    are the effects on the lead rider when two riders are going up a
    climb and the second rider is right on the rear wheel on the first
    rider? The reason I ask is that I have heard Paul Sherwin say
    many times that having a rider on your real wheel going up hill
    actually will slow the lead rider down. It doesn't make any sense
    to me but I have never a factual answer..just a bunch of opinions
    without and data.

    It doesn't make sense because it's not sensible. The rider following
    cannot affect the rider leading in any way to slow the leading rider
    down- unless he reaches out and grabs the leader.

    Quoted message said:

    In general, any advantage from drafting goes up as the speed goes
    up. At climbing speeds I have always felt that drafting is
    pointless.

    Pointless in terms of wind resistance, I agree. Useful in terms of
    having a "rabbit" to follow. I am not a good climber (being 6'4" and
    215 lbs, I guess that's to be expected) but I can compensate by
    staying right on the wheel of slightly faster riders and focusing on
    their rear derailleur. I suppose it's a type of self-hypnosis, but in
    any event I find that I can stay with them better than if I'm looking
    up the road, etc.

  20. "Benjamin Weiner" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:41003939$1@darkstar...

    Quoted message said:
    RWM said:

    The question that I have never had a satisfying answer to is, what are


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    effects on the lead rider when two riders are going up a climb and the
    second rider is right on the rear wheel on the first rider? The reason


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ask is that I have heard Paul Sherwin say many times that having a rider


    on

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    your real wheel going up hill actually will slow the lead rider down.


    It

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    doesn't make any sense to me but I have never a factual answer..just a


    bunch

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of opinions without and data.

    He doesn't say that. He probably says that if there is a following
    rider who isn't working (taking turns in the front) it slows the
    lead rider down _psychologically_ because they don't want to tow
    the guy to the finish for free.


    I have heard him say it many times.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.