Ford Motors Getting Into The Bike Building Biz?

There's certainly lots of potential for development in that market, but it's not terribly interesting to me as a cyclist for the same reason their gas powered antecedents, what we used to call mopeds, were not of interest, namely in that they do not express the characteristics and virtues of the bicycle or cycling.

There's clearly a market for eBikes as transportation, though, so hopefully they'll continue to develop them as low cost alternatives to scooters, motorcycles, and automobiles.

Using a smartphone to enable features like navigation-- the top tube mounted one used haptic feedback, it said-- makes sense given the prevalence of smartphones and multitude of electronically enabled features, like security, system monitoring, and safety features like crash alerts and tracking.

The existing market for ebikes in the usa is very small. Someone posted a chart a couple weeks ago. Anyone smart, and starting a new product line will check the market demographics before tooling up for high volume production. I believe part of the problem in the USA is the geography. One can travel a long way on good roads. Too far for some ebikes. Smaller countries with greater population density seems
to make more short trips in high traffic areas a better market. The relative high cost compared to income for gas and cars helps too.

Stem-integrated lighting looks neat.
Why are the forks so long.
How can you carry cargo on a commercial cargo bike with only a cantilevered rack with no sides.
Where are the mudguards.
Is the top tube the place for a phone/controller? Currently, most go on the bars/stem. How can you switch indicators on the top tube by touch on small icons, wearing gloves, in heavy traffic, with all the usual urvan hazards? Do cars have finger touch, icon conrolled emergency braking? No, you need feel.
Haptic feedback looks interesting

I think we'd all be a lot safer if everyone, including cyclists, drivers and pedestrians, would stop farting around with cell phones and GPS and other gadgets, and actually pay attention to what they are doing!

Ford unveiled these designs in Barcelona, so I'd imagine they are looking at the European market. Lots of cities there with narrow, conjested streets where this bicycle might be useful. Like some folks mentioned above, I don't think this will work in the USA with its already small market for any type of electric bicycle and the distances a lot of folks travel on a daily basis. Other problems I see are dependence on a smartphone (both the safety issue and inconvienience-what if your phone is outta power?) and lack of luggage space.

Aww man! You got my hopes up, I thought they were coming out with a traditional bike, not something electric like this. Whatever happened to just basic cycling? Why do we need all this technology?

thepieeatingjay said:
I think we'd all be a lot safer if everyone, including cyclists, drivers and pedestrians, would stop farting around with cell phones and GPS and other gadgets, and actually pay attention to what they are doing!
Exactly, it's so important to be safe on the road or on the riding path without causing any injury to ourselves or others.

This bike will make me lazier to move about. The features look promising and interesting but this is not for me. I can see a market and a demand for this product but it actually defeats my purpose why I wanted to bike

This is funny. I think they should stick to cars. I mean my brother say something about FORD standing for something like forever repair and demolish. Lol cause his was always breaking down. Yet he kept buying them, kind of a sadistic cycle.
Yeah Ford must be looking for new ways to make money. I'll pass too.

System posted mine 2x's. I'll just take a look at the bikes. They are made of plastic it looks like. One has blinkers and brake lights. Front and back lights. Good features. Folds down really small.

Can't seem to find any info on what they make the bikes out of. The super cruiser is $3600. Electric bikes is what thy are. They look interesting but I don't know about buy a plastic bike.