Forum is dead

Ade Merckx said:
Great work Paul, I just used the search feature. In fact there's lots of threads worth visiting for infomation, inspiration, confirmation, clarification, reiteration, explanation, qualification, simple quotations ok I think you get my drift:D :D

Days are passing and spams are still alive and kicking.
Guess we just have to wait for them to get tired of visiting this forum and disappear . :D

veloventoux said:
Guess we just have to wait for them to get tired of visiting this forum and disappear . :D
They are computers, they never get bored *me cries*

AngryPenguin said:
They are computers, they never get bored *me cries*
I gave them a month to fix the forum they did nothing, I will never come to this forum again!!!!!

Ade Merckx said:
Great work Paul, I just used the search feature. In fact there's lots of threads worth visiting for infomation, inspiration, confirmation, clarification, reiteration, explanation, qualification, simple quotations ok I think you get my drift:D :D

My search feature here has been dead for the better part of a month.
It reappeared briefly.
Is this some sort of anti-bot countermeasure or is something else in play here?

the registration for the forum needs to be changed so that it has one of those pictures with the irregular numbers and letters that need to be entered in order to register... this means that the spam bots will not be able to register for the forum in the 1st place. this is why other forums have this step in their registration... in order to elimiate or spam bots being able to register.

meb said:
My search feature here has been dead for the better part of a month.
It reappeared briefly.
Is this some sort of anti-bot countermeasure or is something else in play here?

I believe it has something to do with bots. I'm not sure exactly why bots would use the search feature but several other forums I frequent require you do to the character recognition thing for each search performed.

doctorSpoc said:
the registration for the forum needs to be changed so that it has one of those pictures with the irregular numbers and letters that need to be entered in order to register... this means that the spam bots will not be able to register for the forum in the 1st place. this is why other forums have this step in their registration... in order to elimiate or spam bots being able to register.

I believe that's already in place but the bots can defeat those measures.

Squint said:
I believe that's already in place but the bots can defeat those measures.
yeah, i see you are right... maybe they are actually registering manually and then sending out the spam with a bot?

doctorSpoc said:
yeah, i see you are right... maybe they are actually registering manually and then sending out the spam with a bot?

It's certainly possible but spamming is such a low yield activity that they certainly can't do it for the hundreds or thousands of forums they may be spamming. If you've read my earlier postings on this subject, there appear to be bots that can defeat just about all of the character recognition schemes. Since those character recognition tests seem to be getting more and more difficult, I'm assuming bots have been getting better and better at recognizing characters. It's relatively easy to recognized letters and numbers since there are only 36 of them (62 if you count upper and lower case) and they're designed to look different from one another.

Recognizing things is something much harder to program. That's why the tests that use a matrix of images are much harder for bots to defeat. How would you program a bot to distinguish between a picture of a cat and a picture of a squirrel?

veloventoux said:
Our saviour has arrived.:cool: