Frame paint

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Franz Bestuchev, Apr 7, 2006.

  1. I need a bit of yellow paint to cover a couple of spots on my frame.
    I'll be heading to the drug store later - I hope some ladies out there
    like yellow. (As in yellow jersey yellow). Or is this a bad paint to use
    because it's so soft.

    I can get an autobody supply show to match any color but if I want it
    *perfect* I'd have to get a full pint...hopefully there's a vehicle out
    there that comes in a similar yellow so that I can pick up a tiny vial
    from the supply show or a car dealer.

    I'm sure others have had to touch up a spot or two on their steel
    frames, is this even something I'd go to the LBS for?? Seems out of
    their purview.
     
    Tags:


  2. D'ohBoy

    D'ohBoy Guest

    <snippage of touch-up paint q>

    Testor's model paint. Bout 1.99 for a tiny bottle. Comes in a billion
    colors. Get it at your local hobby store.

    D'ohBoy
     
  3. bfd

    bfd Guest

    What's a hobby store?
     
  4. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    bfd wrote:

    > What's a hobby store?


    This 'n that.
     
  5. bfd

    bfd Guest

    Sorry, my response should probably have been, they still have hobby
    stores?
     
  6. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 14:33:49 -0600, Franz Bestuchev
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I need a bit of yellow paint to cover a couple of spots on my frame.
    >I'll be heading to the drug store later - I hope some ladies out there
    >like yellow. (As in yellow jersey yellow). Or is this a bad paint to use
    >because it's so soft.


    Nail polish? It's good enough. Bright yellow might be found there.

    >I can get an autobody supply show to match any color but if I want it
    >*perfect* I'd have to get a full pint...hopefully there's a vehicle out
    >there that comes in a similar yellow so that I can pick up a tiny vial
    >from the supply show or a car dealer.


    Try calling auto parts stores to see if any of them stock Dupli-Color
    touch up paint; there have been a number of bright yellows used on
    cars lately. Or, head down to a hobby shop and get a little jar of
    Testor's enamel in the closest shade; it's not bad stuff by any means.

    >I'm sure others have had to touch up a spot or two on their steel
    >frames, is this even something I'd go to the LBS for?? Seems out of
    >their purview.


    Nail polish, car touch-up, and hobby shop enamel seem to be the most
    popular options, in no partcular order. (Mine the deposit that's
    closest, I say.)
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.
     
  7. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 7 Apr 2006 15:51:41 -0700, "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sorry, my response should probably have been, they still have hobby
    >stores?


    Yup. Not as many as there used to be; traditional hobbies have been
    displaced to a considerable extent by the Universal Timewaster; TV.

    Hmmm. There's one more source I'd forgotten. Game stores. They have
    half a zillion shades of paint for those fiddly little minatures that
    are used in war gaming and such.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.
     
  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    Franz Bestuchev <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I need a bit of yellow paint to cover a couple of spots on my frame.
    > I'll be heading to the drug store later - I hope some ladies out there
    > like yellow. (As in yellow jersey yellow). Or is this a bad paint to use
    > because it's so soft.
    >
    > I can get an autobody supply show to match any color but if I want it
    > *perfect* I'd have to get a full pint...hopefully there's a vehicle out
    > there that comes in a similar yellow so that I can pick up a tiny vial
    > from the supply show or a car dealer.
    >
    > I'm sure others have had to touch up a spot or two on their steel
    > frames, is this even something I'd go to the LBS for?? Seems out of
    > their purview.


    My LBS sells the exact color for my frame, because they
    are a dealer for the manufacturer. As it happens they gave
    me a bottle when I bought the frame.

    Try your local Caterpillar tractor dealer.

    --
    Michael Press
     
  9. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 00:47:12 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Franz Bestuchev <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I need a bit of yellow paint to cover a couple of spots on my frame.
    >> I'll be heading to the drug store later - I hope some ladies out there
    >> like yellow. (As in yellow jersey yellow). Or is this a bad paint to use
    >> because it's so soft.
    >>
    >> I can get an autobody supply show to match any color but if I want it
    >> *perfect* I'd have to get a full pint...hopefully there's a vehicle out
    >> there that comes in a similar yellow so that I can pick up a tiny vial
    >> from the supply show or a car dealer.
    >>
    >> I'm sure others have had to touch up a spot or two on their steel
    >> frames, is this even something I'd go to the LBS for?? Seems out of
    >> their purview.

    >
    >My LBS sells the exact color for my frame, because they
    >are a dealer for the manufacturer. As it happens they gave
    >me a bottle when I bought the frame.
    >
    >Try your local Caterpillar tractor dealer.


    Cat touch-up was in gallons as of last I heard...and I wouldn't call
    their yellow "bright". They aren't exactly given to spotting every
    little nick on those, y'know. (Clark and Hyster supplied spray cans
    of their current standard colors IIANM, but I never tried to get
    anything less than a gallon from Cat because it would take that much
    to touch up a D5 that had been used for a couple of days.)
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.
     
  10. Franz Bestuchev wrote:
    > I need a bit of yellow paint to cover a couple of spots on my frame.
    > I'll be heading to the drug store later - I hope some ladies out there
    > like yellow. (As in yellow jersey yellow). Or is this a bad paint to use
    > because it's so soft.
    >
    > I can get an autobody supply show to match any color but if I want it
    > *perfect* I'd have to get a full pint.



    How much will they charge for a pint? I have done this in the past (for
    a car), and the price seemed pretty fair. Also, you can have them color
    match your frame in laquer instead of enamel. Laquer lends itself to
    being "rubbed out", making for a nice clean touch up job.




    >..hopefully there's a vehicle out
    > there that comes in a similar yellow so that I can pick up a tiny vial
    > from the supply show or a car dealer.
    >
    > I'm sure others have had to touch up a spot or two on their steel
    > frames, is this even something I'd go to the LBS for?? Seems out of
    > their purview.
     
  11. D'ohBoy

    D'ohBoy Guest

    bfd wrote:
    > Sorry, my response should probably have been, they still have hobby
    > stores?


    They still exist here. I matched some metal flake purple when I
    rebuilt my brother's Serotta and touched up some rust. Testor's, in a
    spray can, can't do metal flake with a brush.

    D'ohBoy
     
  12. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    Don't necessarily expect to find an exact match in any of those little jars
    or bottles. Don't overlook the possibility of mixing two or more shades to
    get a close match. You can do this in small amounts with a toothpick, until
    you get a feel for what it takes. Then mix enough for your current needs
    and for the rest of the life of the bike.
     
  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 00:47:12 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <[email protected]>,
    > > Franz Bestuchev <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I need a bit of yellow paint to cover a couple of spots on my frame.
    > >> I'll be heading to the drug store later - I hope some ladies out there
    > >> like yellow. (As in yellow jersey yellow). Or is this a bad paint to use
    > >> because it's so soft.
    > >>
    > >> I can get an autobody supply show to match any color but if I want it
    > >> *perfect* I'd have to get a full pint...hopefully there's a vehicle out
    > >> there that comes in a similar yellow so that I can pick up a tiny vial
    > >> from the supply show or a car dealer.
    > >>
    > >> I'm sure others have had to touch up a spot or two on their steel
    > >> frames, is this even something I'd go to the LBS for?? Seems out of
    > >> their purview.

    > >
    > >My LBS sells the exact color for my frame, because they
    > >are a dealer for the manufacturer. As it happens they gave
    > >me a bottle when I bought the frame.
    > >
    > >Try your local Caterpillar tractor dealer.

    >
    > Cat touch-up was in gallons as of last I heard...and I wouldn't call
    > their yellow "bright". They aren't exactly given to spotting every
    > little nick on those, y'know. (Clark and Hyster supplied spray cans
    > of their current standard colors IIANM, but I never tried to get
    > anything less than a gallon from Cat because it would take that much
    > to touch up a D5 that had been used for a couple of days.)


    Really?

    --
    Michael Press
     
  14. Ozark Bicycle wrote:
    > Franz Bestuchev wrote:
    >> I need a bit of yellow paint to cover a couple of spots on my frame.
    >> I'll be heading to the drug store later - I hope some ladies out there
    >> like yellow. (As in yellow jersey yellow). Or is this a bad paint to use
    >> because it's so soft.
    >>
    >> I can get an autobody supply show to match any color but if I want it
    >> *perfect* I'd have to get a full pint.

    >
    >
    > How much will they charge for a pint? I have done this in the past (for
    > a car), and the price seemed pretty fair. Also, you can have them color
    > match your frame in laquer instead of enamel. Laquer lends itself to
    > being "rubbed out", making for a nice clean touch up job.
    >
    >


    They wanted $28 for metallic paint and $20 for solid colors. The shop
    also said they can match by color code if the mfg. of the bike happened
    to have used the same color as a vehicle.

    >
    >
    >> ..hopefully there's a vehicle out
    >> there that comes in a similar yellow so that I can pick up a tiny vial
    >> from the supply show or a car dealer.
    >>
    >> I'm sure others have had to touch up a spot or two on their steel
    >> frames, is this even something I'd go to the LBS for?? Seems out of
    >> their purview.

    >
     
  15. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 04:00:04 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 00:47:12 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Try your local Caterpillar tractor dealer.

    >>
    >> Cat touch-up was in gallons as of last I heard...and I wouldn't call
    >> their yellow "bright". They aren't exactly given to spotting every
    >> little nick on those, y'know. (Clark and Hyster supplied spray cans
    >> of their current standard colors IIANM, but I never tried to get
    >> anything less than a gallon from Cat because it would take that much
    >> to touch up a D5 that had been used for a couple of days.)

    >
    >Really?


    Yup. I don't know if they use the same color on their construction
    and material handling equipment, but if so, then there's probably a
    better chance of getting the paint in spray cans from the MH division.
    I'd imagine that the Cat engine dealers might be a still better bet,
    though ISTR that the standard Cat engine paint was more of a tan
    color. Even so, the classic Cat yellow is darker than the paint on
    that bike by quite a bit.

    (Now that I think about it, there may have been an aftermarket source
    for Cat yellow in spray cans. It's been about 15 years since I last
    had to pay any attention to the issue; things could have changed,
    though given the inertia in the MH and construction businesses, I
    suspect they won't have changed terribly much. Of course, given that
    Cat apparently sold their material handling division to Mitsubishi,
    things may have changed quite a bit in that area.)
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.
     
  16. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 01:35:52 -0600, Franz Bestuchev
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >They wanted $28 for metallic paint and $20 for solid colors. The shop
    >also said they can match by color code if the mfg. of the bike happened
    >to have used the same color as a vehicle.


    FYI - all auto touch up paint is lacquer. Likewise most nail polish
    is, or at least used to be, lacquer. Interestingly enough, you can't
    buy lacquer from the auto body supply store in volume any more due to
    environmental concerns with spraying it en masse.

    If you want to thin auto touch up paint - it's always too thick- pick
    up some lacquer thinner at (oddly enough) the auto supply store (where
    they won't sell you lacquer). Hardware stores have it too. You have to
    buy a quart but it's a nice solvent to have around for various goo.
     
Loading...
Loading...