Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Frame suggestions

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 34 posts · 855 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
6 July 2006
Last activity
11 July 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
34
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
855
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–34 of 34
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:
    Ron Ruff said:
    Quoted message said:

    G.T. wrote:
    > Hot looking? When I was looking at it earlier I was thinking to myself how
    > ugly bikes have become.

    Same here. IMO, it's just plain bugly, even among "modern" frames. It
    kinda looks like some of the stuff that shows up on Chucksbikes.com for
    under $100.

    I like the Leader frame. Plus it is worth it to not have "Scattante"
    all over the place...

    I find the Leader far ugler than the other frame. To each his own. At
    any rate, they are both commodity level, Asian made welded aluminum
    frames.They might even be made in the same factory. Is the "Leader"
    logo worth $130-175 more (the "Scattante" comes with fork and HS, the
    "Leader" does not)?

    I go back and forth on my stance on the Darth Vader look of the Leader.
    But as you point out, it is quite a bit more expensive. Too expensive
    given the option. I think I'll go for the other one.

    As for durability of the headset, I have a box of 10 I picked up for
    cheap at a closeout. That supply ought to last at least as long as the
    frame!

    The only thing I may miss with a cheap frame (Taiwan produced or not)
    is bottom bracket stiffness. Being large and heavy, all but the most
    expensive frames are too soft for me. Does it really matter just how
    much too soft? As it stands I'd rather have a cheap bike that doesn't
    deliver 100% of what I need rather than a moderatly expensive bike that
    doesn't deliver 100% of what I need. When I can justify the expense of
    a really nice bike, I may do that, but until then I'll stick to cheap
    bikes.

    Joseph

  2. Quoted message said:
    Donald Gillies said:
    Quoted post said:

    I have a Leader frame, an LD-715. I'm not sure if they still offer it
    but I bought it one Christmas when they dropped their Ebay price to
    $99. I had an early carbon fiber frame that I wanted to replace.
    Anyhow, it has about 5000 miles on it now and I'm quite pleased with
    it.

    At $99, Chris King can complain all he wants about the non-durability
    of integrated headsets. At $99, the frame becomes a throw-away item
    compared to the outrageous cost of a Chris King headset.

    You noticed that, too? IMO, the idea extends to a $200+ frame.

    You won't see many CK headsets on 99-200 dollar frames. On a 2000-3000
    dollar frames, 99 for a headset is peanuts.

    Lou
    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  3. Lou Holtman said:
    Quoted message said:
    Donald Gillies said:

    "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]> writes:

    >I have a Leader frame, an LD-715. I'm not sure if they still offer it
    >but I bought it one Christmas when they dropped their Ebay price to
    >$99. I had an early carbon fiber frame that I wanted to replace.
    >Anyhow, it has about 5000 miles on it now and I'm quite pleased with
    >it.

    At $99, Chris King can complain all he wants about the non-durability
    of integrated headsets. At $99, the frame becomes a throw-away item
    compared to the outrageous cost of a Chris King headset.

    You noticed that, too? IMO, the idea extends to a $200+ frame.

    You won't see many CK headsets on 99-200 dollar frames. On a 2000-3000
    dollar frames, 99 for a headset is peanuts.

    IMO, you, Don Gillies and I all agree on this point: the concern about
    integrated headsets is a moot point on a cheap frame.

    That said, I'll add this point: IMO, the Chris King headsets are one of
    the most blatantly over-hyped and over rated pieces on the market. Are
    they good quality? Sure. Are they in any way *exceptional*? Nope.
    (Donning flame proof suit!!)

  4. Quoted message said:


    That said, I'll add this point: IMO, the Chris King headsets are one of
    the most blatantly over-hyped and over rated pieces on the market. Are
    they good quality? Sure. Are they in any way *exceptional*? Nope.
    (Donning flame proof suit!!)

    Amen. I think that King Cycle Group object to internal headsets for
    the same reason they stopped making headsets without their huge logo
    anodized onto them-- hidden headsets interfere with the methods of
    King's successful guerilla marketing campaign.

    None for me, thanks. I'll have a tasteful, functional, value-conscious
    headset without some registered trademark slathered all over it.

    Chalo

  5. Quoted message said:

    That said, I'll add this point: IMO, the Chris King headsets are one of
    the most blatantly over-hyped and over rated pieces on the market. Are
    they good quality? Sure. Are they in any way *exceptional*? Nope.
    (Donning flame proof suit!!)

    It is said that a potential "startup" company falls into 3 categories.
    "Candy", e.g. all sweet and nice but not essential, "Aspirin" - solves
    a constant headache that won't go away otherwise, and "Cancer Cure" -
    something you've gotta have or you're gonna die.

    Chris King headsets are clearly candy. They only solve a headache
    problem if you never maintain your headset. As "Candy" they are all
    sweet and nicely colored, that's about it.

    On the other hand, a vintage Carlton Flyer frame arrived at my house
    yesterday, with a Chater-Lea bottom bracket shell. Phil Wood Bottom
    Bracket retainers have just become - to me - a "Cancer cure" when I
    think about part'ting up this bike.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  6. Donald Gillies said:
    Quoted post said:

    I have a Leader frame, an LD-715. I'm not sure if they still offer it
    but I bought it one Christmas when they dropped their Ebay price to
    $99. I had an early carbon fiber frame that I wanted to replace.
    Anyhow, it has about 5000 miles on it now and I'm quite pleased with
    it.

    At $99, Chris King can complain all he wants about the non-durability
    of integrated headsets. At $99, the frame becomes a throw-away item
    compared to the outrageous cost of a Chris King headset.


    The LD-715 frame I referred to in my earlier post did not have an
    integrated headset. I wasn't aware that they now come with them.

    Tom

  7. Chalo said:
    Quoted message said:


    That said, I'll add this point: IMO, the Chris King headsets are one of
    the most blatantly over-hyped and over rated pieces on the market. Are
    they good quality? Sure. Are they in any way *exceptional*? Nope.
    (Donning flame proof suit!!)

    Amen. I think that King Cycle Group object to internal headsets for
    the same reason they stopped making headsets without their huge logo
    anodized onto them-- hidden headsets interfere with the methods of
    King's successful guerilla marketing campaign.

    None for me, thanks. I'll have a tasteful, functional, value-conscious
    headset without some registered trademark slathered all over it.

    Amen.

    I always thought the CK headsets were an exceptional waste of money
    (unless of course, money is no object for the customer). Still, I'd
    use 'em when the customer requested. Then CK instituted some very
    draconian marketing tactics requiring any builder who wanted to be
    granted the pontifical blessing to use their products to fill out a
    multi-page application, even if you were only going to buy the
    occasional headset as part of a bike kit.

    I told 'em to pound sand, and have been saving customers lots of money
    supplying equally nice Cane Creek headsets. In fact, I think they're
    superior since they don't require special tools to press in the
    headset to prevent pressing "through" the bearings.

    In the end, even inexpensive headsets can last many 10's of thousands
    of miles, and they all do the same thing and weigh almost the same.
    There are better ways to add $50-100 to your bike, IMHO.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame


  8. Quoted message said:

    There are better ways to add $50-100 to your bike, IMHO.

    Like with a set of these?

    http://www.hi-techbikes.com/ww2/cat/display.cgi?B-T-P_2004_Shift_Clamps&cf=hitech

    Joseph

  9. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    There are better ways to add $50-100 to your bike, IMHO.

    Like with a set of these?

    http://www.hi-techbikes.com/ww2/cat/display.cgi?B-T-P_2004_Shift_Clamps&cf=hitech

    Such a deal! "Save" 18gr for only $79. That's only $1990 per pound of
    "saved weight"!

  10. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    There are better ways to add $50-100 to your bike, IMHO.

    Like with a set of these?

    http://www.hi-techbikes.com/ww2/cat/display.cgi?B-T-P_2004_Shift_Clamps&cf=hitech

    Such a deal! "Save" 18gr for only $79. That's only $1990 per pound of
    "saved weight"!

    Seems about twice the going price for "saved" weight. Take a Cervelo
    Soloist Carbon with SRAM Force gruppo and some Zipp 202's. It will
    weigh about 6.2kg (13.6lbs) with pedals. It'll cost about $7,700. If
    you spec it with SRAM Rival it'll weigh about 6.5kg (14.3lbs) and cost
    $7,100. About $860/lb.

    Maybe if I win lotto twice.

    Joseph

  11. Quoted message said:

    Hi All,

    I'm building up a new bike, but I still don't have a frame! I'm looking
    for something inexpensive, and so far these are the 2 that have caught
    my eye:

    http://tinyurl.com/ng37o

    http://tinyurl.com/otjr6

    I'm looking for cheap with and effective top-tube around 59cm, and a
    headtube about 18-20cm for decent stack height.

    Suggestions?

    Joseph

    I decided against both of them. For those keeping score at home, I
    picked up a used 2003 Klein on eBay for $255 with fork and headset. My
    major complaint with just about every bike I've ever used has been
    bottom-bracket flex. A quality stout-tubed frame like a Klein sould be
    just the ticket.

    Joseph

  12. Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Hi All,

    I'm building up a new bike, but I still don't have a frame! I'm looking
    for something inexpensive, and so far these are the 2 that have caught
    my eye:

    http://tinyurl.com/ng37o

    http://tinyurl.com/otjr6

    I'm looking for cheap with and effective top-tube around 59cm, and a
    headtube about 18-20cm for decent stack height.

    Suggestions?

    Joseph

    I decided against both of them. For those keeping score at home, I
    picked up a used 2003 Klein on eBay for $255 with fork and headset. My
    major complaint with just about every bike I've ever used has been
    bottom-bracket flex. A quality stout-tubed frame like a Klein sould be
    just the ticket.

    You have chosen wisely.

    Ron

  13. RonSonic said:
    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Hi All,

    I'm building up a new bike, but I still don't have a frame! I'm looking
    for something inexpensive, and so far these are the 2 that have caught
    my eye:

    http://tinyurl.com/ng37o

    http://tinyurl.com/otjr6

    I'm looking for cheap with and effective top-tube around 59cm, and a
    headtube about 18-20cm for decent stack height.

    Suggestions?

    Joseph

    I decided against both of them. For those keeping score at home, I
    picked up a used 2003 Klein on eBay for $255 with fork and headset. My
    major complaint with just about every bike I've ever used has been
    bottom-bracket flex. A quality stout-tubed frame like a Klein sould be
    just the ticket.

    You have chosen wisely.

    Ron

    It's a custom job with a long 61cm top-tube. That's 3.5cm longer than
    my current bike, which is what got me thinking about the whole knee
    bumping thing. I use a 13cm stem now, which is the longest I could get.
    This top-tube will allow an even higher and farther out bar which may
    be the solution to my occasionaly numb fingers. That's the plan at
    least. I think part of my numb fingers problem is from an acute wrist
    angle. A higher further bar will allow a straighter wrist.

    The build up:

    Centaur
    HSCC custom 195mm crankset (contributes to knee-bump, but it's
    proportional so it shouldn't be any worse than for an average sized
    rider)
    SLR Gel Flow
    Easton Equipe EC90 carbon bar (gonna buy a Deda shallow drop Newton)
    ITM Mantis stem (vanity requires a Deda stem then too!)
    self-built 36 hole DT/Veloce/Ambrosio Excursion training wheels ("race"
    wheels tbd)
    Veloflex Pave tires

    Can't wait!

    Joseph

  14. Chalo said:

    Amen. I think that King Cycle Group object to internal headsets for
    the same reason they stopped making headsets without their huge logo
    anodized onto them-- hidden headsets interfere with th e methods of
    King's successful guerilla marketing campaign.

    None for me, thanks. I'll have a tasteful, functional, value-conscious
    headset without some registered trademark slathered all over it.

    On the other hand, if your last name is King, as it is for some people
    I know, one of them might make quite a nice present.
    d

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.