free bicycles for all

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by AndrewJ, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. AndrewJ

    AndrewJ Guest

    In Melbourne we recently had a "free public transport" campaign by The
    Age newspaper. But of course here public transport runs on <brown
    coal>. World's second worst fuel? Even worse than black coal? Way worse
    than petrol?

    Making public transport free would just encourage people to live
    further out, and waste more fuel, pollute more.

    Why not free bicycles?

    Or, at the very least, some tax exemptions for bicycles? Where I work
    (RMIT) I can salary sacrifice a metallic mobile coffin, but I can't
    salary sacrifice a bicycle. Meanwhile University prattles on about
    "sustainability". What a bunch of wankers.

    End of rant. So where's my free Trek 520 ?

    Tags:

  2. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    In a way, yes. But compare the energyconsumption of a train to that of 800 cars, and you'll see the improvement even despite the train running from coal.

  3. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Correction, it's Lignite. According to Bikesoiler, it's old koorie word meaning bugger all energy density.

    Back to The Age free PT campaign, the word is that they'll be running with this up to the next Vic state election. Shall be interesting to observe.

    BTW - I think a free custom Llewellyn is bit of a ask. And Darrell would probably agree that's a little rich.

  4. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    But I'll take it as a fixie...that'll save heaps on the gruppo. Imagine a city full of fixie riders...everyone massively thewed and hobbling around on blown out knees.

  5. bear

    bear Guest

    AndrewJ wrote:
    > Meanwhile University prattles on about
    > "sustainability". What a bunch of wankers.

    We have a local "sustainable living centre"
    OOOOOhhh GREAT!, NOT.
    To attend any of the real activities you either have to grind uphill
    beside a continuous 4 lane string of crawling cagers during peak hour,
    or join the cagers.

    Thankfully they have now replaced the roundabout just outside it with
    lights.

  6. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Free bikes for Melbournians will mean hell for anyone looking at going for a ride on the weekends.
    The casualities would tremenous! Unplanned leave & Medicare costs through the roof.
    Outrage!
    Calls for road-going cyclists to be licenced!
    Aust standards for bicycle helmets to be reviewed, previous bike helmets to be outlawed.
    Review of traffic laws restricting bicycle use from major artials.
    Speed limits for bicycles are set. ie: 20kms/hr max on St Kilda rd, 30 kms/hr max on beach Rd, 15kms/hr within the CBD.
    Demand for bicycle parking in the CBD calls in pay-per-park bicycle facilities at 3 or 4 key locations in the city. Bicycle on-street parking to be regulated (due to bikes being chained to anything not moving) to reduce footpath obstruction etc.
    With specific bicycle parking facilities being established in the CBD, car parking areas are now prohibiting use by bicycles.
    PT commuters call for greater regulation of bicycles on trains/trams/buses.
    Bicycle retailers convert to service centres, with standardised labour & service costs. The biggest players in this new service industry become Safeway & 7 Eleven.
    Bicycle fitout becomes standardised - lights, mudguards, bell/horn ,sidestand.
    MTB is only allowed in specific locations MTB parks (most outside the metro area), paths/tails are designed for durability & saftey.
    Fixies on the street are banned.

  7. Euan

    Euan Guest

    AndrewJ wrote:
    > In Melbourne we recently had a "free public transport" campaign by The
    > Age newspaper. But of course here public transport runs on <brown
    > coal>. World's second worst fuel? Even worse than black coal? Way worse
    > than petrol?
    >
    > Making public transport free would just encourage people to live
    > further out, and waste more fuel, pollute more.
    >
    > Why not free bicycles?

    Given that bicycles outsell cars year after year I don't think that
    availability of bicycles is the issue.

    Reducing exaggerated perception of the risks of cycling and people not
    being so lazy are more significant factors IMO.
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]

  8. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    one can only ask...!! :)

    check out www.bicycling.com ( the US one) over the last 3 years they have had a BikeTown Project and given away hundreds of bikes to folk all over the country in selected cities and towns and changed the lives of so many for the better because of it...( direct link is http://www.bicycling.com/biketown2006/ )

    got plenty of hard copy guff on their projects if anyone wants to work up a template for the "PubBike", "OzBike", "OckerBike" Projects coming to a main drag near you... gimme a hoy...happy to pass on...