free bicycles for all

AndrewJ

Guest
In Melbourne we recently had a "free public transport" campaign by The
Age newspaper. But of course here public transport runs on <brown
coal>. World's second worst fuel? Even worse than black coal? Way worse
than petrol?

Making public transport free would just encourage people to live
further out, and waste more fuel, pollute more.

Why not free bicycles?

Or, at the very least, some tax exemptions for bicycles? Where I work
(RMIT) I can salary sacrifice a metallic mobile coffin, but I can't
salary sacrifice a bicycle. Meanwhile University prattles on about
"sustainability". What a bunch of wankers.

End of rant. So where's my free Trek 520 ?

AndrewJ said:
But of course here public transport runs on <brown
coal>. World's second worst fuel? Even worse than black coal? Way worse
than petrol?

In a way, yes. But compare the energyconsumption of a train to that of 800 cars, and you'll see the improvement even despite the train running from coal.

AndrewJ said:
In Melbourne we recently had a "free public transport" campaign by The Age newspaper. But of course here public transport runs on <brown coal>.

Correction, it's Lignite. According to Bikesoiler, it's old koorie word meaning bugger all energy density.

Back to The Age free PT campaign, the word is that they'll be running with this up to the next Vic state election. Shall be interesting to observe.

BTW - I think a free custom Llewellyn is bit of a ask. And Darrell would probably agree that's a little rich.

cfsmtb said:
BTW - I think a free custom Llewellyn is bit of a ask. And Darrell would probably agree that's a little rich.

But I'll take it as a fixie...that'll save heaps on the gruppo. Imagine a city full of fixie riders...everyone massively thewed and hobbling around on blown out knees.

AndrewJ wrote:
> Meanwhile University prattles on about
> "sustainability". What a bunch of wankers.

We have a local "sustainable living centre"
OOOOOhhh GREAT!, NOT.
To attend any of the real activities you either have to grind uphill
beside a continuous 4 lane string of crawling cagers during peak hour,
or join the cagers.

Thankfully they have now replaced the roundabout just outside it with
lights.

Free bikes for Melbournians will mean hell for anyone looking at going for a ride on the weekends.
The casualities would tremenous! Unplanned leave & Medicare costs through the roof.
Outrage!
Calls for road-going cyclists to be licenced!
Aust standards for bicycle helmets to be reviewed, previous bike helmets to be outlawed.
Review of traffic laws restricting bicycle use from major artials.
Speed limits for bicycles are set. ie: 20kms/hr max on St Kilda rd, 30 kms/hr max on beach Rd, 15kms/hr within the CBD.
Demand for bicycle parking in the CBD calls in pay-per-park bicycle facilities at 3 or 4 key locations in the city. Bicycle on-street parking to be regulated (due to bikes being chained to anything not moving) to reduce footpath obstruction etc.
With specific bicycle parking facilities being established in the CBD, car parking areas are now prohibiting use by bicycles.
PT commuters call for greater regulation of bicycles on trains/trams/buses.
Bicycle retailers convert to service centres, with standardised labour & service costs. The biggest players in this new service industry become Safeway & 7 Eleven.
Bicycle fitout becomes standardised - lights, mudguards, bell/horn ,sidestand.
MTB is only allowed in specific locations MTB parks (most outside the metro area), paths/tails are designed for durability & saftey.
Fixies on the street are banned.

AndrewJ wrote:
> In Melbourne we recently had a "free public transport" campaign by The
> Age newspaper. But of course here public transport runs on <brown
> coal>. World's second worst fuel? Even worse than black coal? Way worse
> than petrol?
>
> Making public transport free would just encourage people to live
> further out, and waste more fuel, pollute more.
>
> Why not free bicycles?

Given that bicycles outsell cars year after year I don't think that
availability of bicycles is the issue.

Reducing exaggerated perception of the risks of cycling and people not
being so lazy are more significant factors IMO.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@

cfsmtb said:
Correction, it's Lignite. According to Bikesoiler, it's old koorie word meaning bugger all energy density.

Back to The Age free PT campaign, the word is that they'll be running with this up to the next Vic state election. Shall be interesting to observe.

BTW - I think a free custom Llewellyn is bit of a ask. And Darrell would probably agree that's a little rich.
one can only ask...!! :)

check out www.bicycling.com ( the US one) over the last 3 years they have had a BikeTown Project and given away hundreds of bikes to folk all over the country in selected cities and towns and changed the lives of so many for the better because of it...( direct link is http://www.bicycling.com/biketown2006/ )

got plenty of hard copy guff on their projects if anyone wants to work up a template for the "PubBike", "OzBike", "OckerBike" Projects coming to a main drag near you... gimme a hoy...happy to pass on...