Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Free Garmin Edge/Forerunner Software

Started by Bruno · · Last activity · 16 posts · 608 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
26 January 2006
Last activity
27 February 2006
Original author
Bruno
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
608
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,

    I've written an application which takes Garmin Training Center history
    files or logbook files (used for the Forerunner 201/301/205/305 and
    Edge 205/305) and creates a lot of statistics and graphs based on the
    activities in your file. But best of all, it will draw out your route
    on a satelite image using google maps.

    Its free to use (no limits of any kind) and is available at the
    following site.

    http://running.hobby-site.com:8080/

    There's also a sample page and a full feature list on the site.

    Regards,
    ~Bruno

  2. Bruno said:

    Hello,

    I've written an application which takes Garmin Training Center history
    files or logbook files (used for the Forerunner 201/301/205/305 and
    Edge 205/305) and creates a lot of statistics and graphs based on the
    activities in your file. But best of all, it will draw out your route
    on a satelite image using google maps.

    Its free to use (no limits of any kind) and is available at the
    following site.

    http://running.hobby-site.com:8080/

    There's also a sample page and a full feature list on the site.

    Regards,
    ~Bruno

    Looks pretty cool. Will it work with other Garmin units? GPX files?

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  3. Thanks.

    No I dont have support for GPX yet, only Garmin logbook and Training
    Center file formats.

    I'm a forerunner owner myself and I dont have access to sample GPX
    files to test with. But if people email me their GPX files, I'll look
    into adding it (if it contains all of the necessary info). I'm
    constantly adding new features, so if I get enough files, it shouldn't
    take me long to add support for it.

    email them to [email hidden]

    ~Bruno

  4. Bruno said:

    Thanks.

    No I dont have support for GPX yet, only Garmin logbook and Training
    Center file formats.

    I'm a forerunner owner myself and I dont have access to sample GPX
    files to test with. But if people email me their GPX files, I'll look
    into adding it (if it contains all of the necessary info). I'm
    constantly adding new features, so if I get enough files, it shouldn't
    take me long to add support for it.

    email them to [email hidden]

    ~Bruno

    Check your email.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  5. Gary,

    Send this guy one of your GPX files. He needs to test the file from
    different units.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  6. sent.

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Gary,

    Send this guy one of your GPX files. He needs to test the file from
    different units.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  7. GeeDubb said:

    sent.

    I have an Etrex now. Does it do GPX files?

    Greg

    Quoted message said:


    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Gary,

    Send this guy one of your GPX files. He needs to test the file from
    different units.

    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine
    Waking to the sound of laughter
    Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons

  8. "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    GeeDubb said:

    sent.

    I have an Etrex now. Does it do GPX files?

    Greg

    I'm not sure how the data is formatted from the gps but the software (garmin
    mapsource) saves the downloaded file as a gpx. The latest version of
    mapsource even has a link to googleearth and makes it easy to plot the
    track. I also have Nasty Geographic TOPO which saves the data in some
    proprietary form that only TOPO can read.

    Gary

  9. G.T. said:
    GeeDubb said:

    sent.

    I have an Etrex now. Does it do GPX files?

    Greg

    I'm pretty sure that the software interface you use is what determines how
    your data is saved.

  10. ok, I just started coding support for GPX. The basic format (without
    the proprietary extensions) is very easy to decode, well in my app it
    is ;-)

    Check back again in a week or so. It should be done and tested by
    then.

    ~Bruno

  11. "small change" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    G.T. said:
    GeeDubb said:

    sent.

    I have an Etrex now. Does it do GPX files?

    Greg

    I'm pretty sure that the software interface you use is what determines how
    your data is saved.

    Actually they also spit out text files in either Garmin's format or a couple
    of other standards:

    "RS232 with NMEA 0183, RTCM 104 DGPS data format and proprietary Garmin®"

    When I hooked my Etrex Summit (with it configured for Garmin format) up to
    my OpenBSD laptop and used garmin-utils, it downloaded a comma-delimited
    text file for the track and waypoints.

    Bruno,
    So I guess the Windows software may grab additional info to put in the GPX
    files?

    Greg

  12. G.T. said:

    "small change" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    G.T. said:

    GeeDubb wrote:
    > sent.
    I have an Etrex now. Does it do GPX files?

    Greg

    I'm pretty sure that the software interface you use is what determines how
    your data is saved.

    Actually they also spit out text files in either Garmin's format or a couple
    of other standards:

    "RS232 with NMEA 0183, RTCM 104 DGPS data format and proprietary Garmin®"

    When I hooked my Etrex Summit (with it configured for Garmin format) up to
    my OpenBSD laptop and used garmin-utils, it downloaded a comma-delimited
    text file for the track and waypoints.

    Bruno,
    So I guess the Windows software may grab additional info to put in the GPX
    files?

    Greg

    Greg,

    The GPX file is XML. It's pretty much the same info in the text file
    surrounded by xml tags. Here's an example:

    <trkpt lat="39.915124" lon="-74.614144">
    <ele>36.667480</ele>
    <time>2006-01-01T14:18:56Z</time>
    </trkpt>

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  13. ok, I overestimated the work effort into supporting it. My site now
    had GPX support.

    However, at a minimum, I need the file to contain the trackpoints and
    the time (they are actualy optional in the file format). If I dont
    have that data, I'll ignore the activity. Also, I ignore all
    proprietary extensions in the file (depending on which software created
    the file, it will contains data which is specific to that software,
    given the amount of different software applications which can write
    this format, I cannot possibly support all of those extensions).

    Anyhow, try it out and if anybody notices anything oddd, please let me
    know.

    ~Bruno

  14. ok, I overestimated the work effort into supporting it. My site now
    had GPX support.

    However, at a minimum, I need the file to contain the trackpoints and
    the time (they are actualy optional in the file format). If I dont
    have that data, I'll ignore the activity. Also, I ignore all
    proprietary extensions in the file (depending on which software created
    the file, it will contains data which is specific to that software,
    given the amount of different software applications which can write
    this format, I cannot possibly support all of those extensions).

    Anyhow, try it out and if anybody notices anything oddd, please let me
    know.

    ~Bruno

  15. "Bruno" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    ok, I overestimated the work effort into supporting it. My site now
    had GPX support.

    However, at a minimum, I need the file to contain the trackpoints and
    the time (they are actualy optional in the file format). If I dont
    have that data, I'll ignore the activity. Also, I ignore all
    proprietary extensions in the file (depending on which software created
    the file, it will contains data which is specific to that software,
    given the amount of different software applications which can write
    this format, I cannot possibly support all of those extensions).

    Anyhow, try it out and if anybody notices anything oddd, please let me
    know.

    ~Bruno


    Good stuff Bruno, how do I put the activity and text into the file to allow
    calory calculation and title text?

    Thanks

    Andy H

  16. Thanks Andy,

    I'm not sure what you mean about "Title Text"?

    As for the calories, you can't with GPX on my site. I support a lot of
    data with the Training center file formats (logbook, history data, and
    the new training center format), but I only implemented basic GPX
    support.

    I'll look into extracting the calory data from GPX files. If you want
    me to tell you when its implemented send me an email and I'll reply
    back once I've got it implemented.

    Thanks
    ~Bruno

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.