Freehub for Campy and Shimano

alienator

Jun 10, 2004
Edco, a Swiss hub maker, says in 2010 they're releasing a freehub that works with Campy and Shimano cassettes.

edco-rotor-1100x838.gif

It's a creative solution, for sure.

Begs the question:

WHY THE F$%# HAVEN'T THE REST OF THE MORON WHEEL/HUB MANUFACTURERS COTTONED ON TO THIS???

Surely the need for only one common cassette carrier would have saved a lot of design and machine costs (out of proportion with the extra cash they can charge consumers for adapters or specific carriers).

I hope that it will work well too.

The PT elite+ hub is already like this. When I ordered my PT hubbed wheel built up, I had no idea, and when I got it, I went to put my Campy cassette on and did a double-take:confused: It looked like it was missing splines:eek:
Well, it turns out it works fine (been using it since last February) for Campy but I wonder if the splines will be deep enough for Shimano? I think it's a less-than-optimum design, as either the Shimano cassette or Campy cassette (depending on how it's designed) will necessarily be missing some splines on the carrier and I wonder if this will affect longevity of the carrier? AFAIK, only the Elite+ is made like this, as on the Saris site, the other (more expensive) models list different hub carriers for Shimano and Campy. To me, this really just looks like a cost-saving measure: both for manufacturing and at the retail level, it's easier to keep stock.