Frigo's antics the death knell for Fassa Bortolo's future?

Sure, remember that Festina pulled its sponsorship after the
Festina scandal of 1998. Two years later, that is.

-ilan

<[email protected]> wrote in message

> Sure, remember that Festina pulled its
> sponsorship after the
> Festina scandal of 1998. Two years later, that is.

Except that, according the CN, Ferretti told his team to look for other
rides if he couldn't nail down a new sponsor. That's for next year, not
2008.

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>> Sure, remember that Festina pulled its
>> sponsorship after the
>> Festina scandal of 1998. Two years later, that is.

> Except that, according the CN, Ferretti told his team to look for other
> rides if he couldn't nail down a new sponsor. That's for next year, not
> 2008.

With the Pro Tour, wasn't there supposed to be multi-year sponsorship
guarantees up front before admission to the club?

Carl Sundquist wrote:
> Discuss.

Frigo's not a key element in Petacchi's train (right?), so it might not
be a big deal.
Look at Phonak; they had current winners in trouble and still worked
out something...at least for this year.

Jim

The funniest thing about this affair was Laurent Jalabert
self-righteously attacking Frigo on TV, saying that such
cheaters had no place in the sport and that he can affirm
that the Tour can be ridden without drugs. As far as I can tell,
French TV is applying a "don't ask don't tell" policy
regarding him.

-ilan

B. Lafferty a écrit :
> "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Discuss.
> >

> Just an isolate, single incident. No organized doping on the team. ;-)

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
The funniest thing about this affair was Laurent Jalabert
self-righteously attacking Frigo on TV, saying that such
cheaters had no place in the sport and that he can affirm
that the Tour can be ridden without drugs. As far as I can tell,
French TV is applying a "don't ask don't tell" policy
regarding him.

-ilan

There was a retired Italian pro on with Hartman and Kelly who was at least
circumspect when asked about Frigo. Can't think of his name at the moment.

[email protected] wrote:
> The funniest thing about this affair was Laurent Jalabert
> self-righteously attacking Frigo on TV, saying that such
> cheaters had no place in the sport and that he can affirm
> that the Tour can be ridden without drugs. As far as I can tell,
> French TV is applying a "don't ask don't tell" policy
> regarding him.

Wasn't it Jalabert who went on a self-imposed exile following the
Festina affair? Took out a Swiss license and didn't race in France for
a year or so? Or do I have him mixed up with somebody else?

Too bad I don't have cable, because Virenque's comments on
Eurosport might have been even funnier.

-ilan

Carl Sundquist wrote:
> Discuss.

Frigo has now burned Fassa twice. You'd think after meeting
some stranger in an airport holding a bag of money to exchange for some
(later proven to be phoney) Hemasist he would have learned his lesson.
But since the drug had be pulled from trials because of deaths in the
first place, I guess there was no lesson for that dumbell to be
learned.

No Taconni Sport for him to land in now.

Question is; can they pin the rap on him, if the drugs weren't exactly
in his possesion (wifes car). Can they force him (French police) to
submit to an EPO test?

B. Lafferty wrote:
> "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>><[email protected]> wrote in message
>>

>>>Sure, remember that Festina pulled its
>>>sponsorship after the
>>>Festina scandal of 1998. Two years later, that is.

>>Except that, according the CN, Ferretti told his team to look for other
>>rides if he couldn't nail down a new sponsor. That's for next year, not
>>2008.
>>

> With the Pro Tour, wasn't there supposed to be multi-year sponsorship
> guarantees up front before admission to the club?

That's why Fassa Bortolo only got a 1-year license.

[email protected] wrote:
> Carl Sundquist wrote:
>
>>Discuss.

> Frigo's not a key element in Petacchi's train (right?), so it might not
> be a big deal.

Makes sense for Frigo to be looking for a stage win after the rest day
though, given that he's done bugger all so far.

I suspect that it would be *SO* interesting to plot the comparative
performance of riders before/after the rest days and the reasons stated.
Pity Chung's in Brittany.

Carl Sundquist wrote:

> Wasn't it Jalabert who went on a self-imposed exile following the
> Festina affair? Took out a Swiss license and didn't race in France for
> a year or so? Or do I have him mixed up with somebody else?

Both Jalabert and Virenque were listed in the Geneva phonebook in 1999.

Did a little research today on <www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net>. Laurent
Jalabert was the last green jersey winner to finish top-5, in 1995 -
and the last to finish ahead of the winner of the spotted jersey, a
certain Virenque, Richard. In 2001, Jalabert became the first winner
of the climber's jersey to finish outside the top-10 since 1976, when
the mj Lucien van Impe finished 1 point behind Giancarlo Bellini
(16th); however that year, Freddy Maertens finished 6th with the green
jersey.
The Armstrong Era has been caracterized by specialization in green and
meaningless spots. Thus M. Rasmussen's adventure becomes all the more
interesting.