Frog vs BeBop vs Eggbeater vs Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Harney

We ride a Double Vision and my stoker has some deficiency of both leg coordination and strength.
This is only a actual problem when trying to clip into the pedals - currently we use Frogs. The only
problem with the Frog is the uncertainty of whether one is fully clipped in or not - (she hates
having her foot unclip on hill) plus it usually takes her quite awhile to make the connection
properly. We have tried a variety of platform and power strap type pedals, but she really needs a
cleat arrangement to keep her feet firmly attached when hitting bumps. We tired eggbeaters, but she
is not happy with the amount of effort it takes to click into them.

I have ordered a set of BeBops as they seem to have some of the same advantages of the Frog (float,
easy enter/exit) but it looks like making the connection will be more positive and provide her with
more feedback of being properly connected. I'm also hoping that she will be able to find/feel the
connection point quicker than she does with the Frogs.

Dealers that don't carry the BeBops (and none around here do) tend to push the Time pedals - but
they look to me like the connection effort will be much like the eggbeater.

Any thoughts and suggestions?

Dave Harney must be edykated coz e writed:

> We ride a Double Vision and my stoker has some deficiency of both leg coordination and strength.
> This is only a actual problem when trying to clip into the pedals - currently we use Frogs. The
> only problem with the Frog is the uncertainty of whether one is fully clipped in or not - (she
> hates having her foot unclip on hill) plus it usually takes her quite awhile to make the
> connection properly. We have tried a variety of platform and power strap type pedals, but she
> really needs a cleat arrangement to keep her feet firmly attached when hitting bumps. We tired
> eggbeaters, but she is not happy with the amount of effort it takes to click into them.
>
> I have ordered a set of BeBops as they seem to have some of the same advantages of the Frog
> (float, easy enter/exit) but it looks like making the connection will be more positive and provide
> her with more feedback of being properly connected. I'm also hoping that she will be able to
> find/feel the connection point quicker than she does with the Frogs.
>
> Dealers that don't carry the BeBops (and none around here do) tend to push the Time pedals - but
> they look to me like the connection effort will be much like the eggbeater.
>
> Any thoughts and suggestions?
>
>
I use Time pedals, I really wanted frogs but could not justify the cost, I thought the times but
allow too much movement and that the frogs would be smoother in terms of float, I had major
re-constructive surgery on my left knee 5 years ago so the float was very important. However I find
the Time pedals to be great, I am experiencing no knee problems as a result of pedalling at all,
they are easy to engage and release, I can "pull" on the pedals with ease, they do not get clogged
up if they get covered with mud, I'm very happy.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Originally posted by Dave Harney
Any thoughts and suggestions?

I have used SPDs, Frogs and now Bebops. Bebops are the clear winner, IMHO. They make a better product. Plus they completely stand behind their product...even though I bought mine used. I had some real issues with Speedplay over their customer service guy. The designer or tech was great, do not get me wrong. But the front end customer service guy was one of the worst. Even my LBS had trouble with him.

You will not regret using bebops.

"Dave Harney" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> We ride a Double Vision and my stoker has some deficiency of both leg coordination and strength.
> This is only a actual problem when trying to clip into the pedals - currently we use Frogs. The
> only problem with the Frog is the uncertainty of whether one is fully clipped in or not - (she
> hates having her foot unclip on hill) plus it usually takes her quite awhile to make the
> connection properly.

I have two sets of BeBops, and use them primarily with Shimano sandals. My right knee was
hyperextended (bent the wrong way 30 degrees)long ago, and if I'm not mindful of its
somewhat pampered needs, it informs me with pain. The float of the Bebops helps considerably
with that detail. I used SPDs before, and the float was not enough. My right foot changes
from neutral to pronated with every crank revolution. I spray the pedals with Boeshield
periodically, lubing the pedal seems to last longer than lubing the cleat. Why? I don't
know... If finding the target to clip in is the main problem, I would think Look or Time
would better serve because of larger targets. I don't know about float with either of those.
The Bebops are a bit easier to find when clipping-in(for me) than the SPDs. I can slap my
foot on the pedal and either push forward or pull back to clip in. The SPDs required forward
thrust and then down to clip. I would think the Eggbeaters would clip-in both directions
too, but I have not tried them.

happy trails, rorschandt

--
May all beings be happy. May they be joyous and live in safety. All living beings, whether weak or
strong, in high or middle or low realms of existence, small or great, visible or invisible, near or
far, born or to be born, Let no one deceive another, nor despise any being in any state; Let none by
anger or hatred wish harm to another. Even as a mother at the risk of her life watches over and
protects her only child, so with a boundless mind should one cherish all living things,

Dave Harney wrote:

> connection properly. We have tried a variety of platform and power strap type pedals, but she
> really needs a cleat arrangement to keep her feet firmly attached when hitting bumps. We tired
> eggbeaters, but she is not happy with the amount of effort it takes to click into them.
>
> I have ordered a set of BeBops as they seem to have some of the same advantages of the Frog
> (float, easy enter/exit) but it looks like making the connection will be more positive and provide
> her with more feedback of being properly connected. I'm also hoping that she will be able to
> find/feel the connection point quicker than she does with the Frogs.
>
> Dealers that don't carry the BeBops (and none around here do) tend to push the Time pedals - but
>

I, too, have thought about switching from Frogs to BeBops. I don't have any trouble getting in, but
I sometimes have a foot unclip unexpectedly. This is mostly just annoying, seems to happen most
frequently when I'm coasting and hit a bumpy section of pavement, but has happened on a climb, and
sometimes seems to happen for no obvious reason whatsoever. Occasionally it is scary, as my foot
will come all the way off of the pedal and drop several inches before I can react. If my foot ever
makes it all the way to the ground, this could cause a fall or, worst case, a leg suck type injury.
I initially thought that I was moving my foot around too much and accidentally unclipping, but I no
longer think so. Currently, I think the little arced lip on the front of the cleat isn't engaging
the front of the pedal adequately. Sometimes, while riding, I can push down and forward on the pedal
and I can get the'snick' sound of the lip engaging the pedal even though I got it when I first
engaged, too. I think this is telling me the lip isn't staying engaged. I'm currently thinking of
trying to put something under the lip section of the cleat to see if can get it to stick up a bit
more and hence engage more aggressively, but I have not come across a suitable material. Hmm, I used
to frequently get 10 mil plastic cards in my mailbox as an inducement to join some record club or
support some political party, etc, but I haven't seen one of those for awhile. A friend of mine says
he got rid of his unclip problems by angling the cleat slightly, but I don't see exactly how do this
with any kind of precision, nor do I understand why it would work. In fairness, this could be an
experience problem, it happened a lot more when I first got them, but it still happens once or twice
a ride 500 miles later.

I used Time ATAC for a little while before I got the Frogs, they clipped in OK, I sometimes had
trouble getting out. This probably would have gotten better with more miles, but I decided I wanted
the spring-free float of the Frogs before I even had 100 miles on them.

Please repost once you get some miles on the BeBops, let us know how they work for her.

Robert

I have been using Frogs for about a year. I find them easy to get into and easy to unclip. The
great amount of float makes them easy on the knees. I will keep my Frogs. I mite upgrade to the
newer clips.

"Robert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
> Dave Harney wrote:
>
> > We ride a Double Vision and my stoker has some deficiency of both leg coordination and strength.
> > This is only a actual problem when trying to clip into the pedals - currently we use Frogs. The
> > only problem with
the
> > Frog is the uncertainty of whether one is fully clipped in or not - (she hates having her foot
> > unclip on hill) plus it usually takes her quite
awhile
> > to make the connection properly. We have tried a variety of platform
and
> > power strap type pedals, but she really needs a cleat arrangement to
keep
> > her feet firmly attached when hitting bumps. We tired eggbeaters, but
she
> > is not happy with the amount of effort it takes to click into them.
> >
> > I have ordered a set of BeBops as they seem to have some of the same advantages of the Frog
> > (float, easy enter/exit) but it looks like making
the
> > connection will be more positive and provide her with more feedback of
being
> > properly connected. I'm also hoping that she will be able to find/feel
the
> > connection point quicker than she does with the Frogs.
> >
> > Dealers that don't carry the BeBops (and none around here do) tend to
push
> > the Time pedals - but they look to me like the connection effort will be much like the
> > eggbeater.
> >
> > Any thoughts and suggestions?
>
> I, too, have thought about switching from Frogs to BeBops. I don't have
any
> trouble getting in, but I sometimes have a foot unclip unexpectedly. This
is
> mostly just annoying, seems to happen most frequently when I'm coasting
and hit
> a bumpy section of pavement, but has happened on a climb, and sometimes
seems to
> happen for no obvious reason whatsoever. Occasionally it is scary, as my
foot
> will come all the way off of the pedal and drop several inches before I
can
> react. If my foot ever makes it all the way to the ground, this could
cause a
> fall or, worst case, a leg suck type injury. I initially thought that I
was
> moving my foot around too much and accidentally unclipping, but I no
longer
> think so. Currently, I think the little arced lip on the front of the
cleat
> isn't engaging the front of the pedal adequately. Sometimes, while
riding, I
> can push down and forward on the pedal and I can get the'snick' sound of
the lip
> engaging the pedal even though I got it when I first engaged, too. I
think this
> is telling me the lip isn't staying engaged. I'm currently thinking of
trying
> to put something under the lip section of the cleat to see if can get it
to
> stick up a bit more and hence engage more aggressively, but I have not
come
> across a suitable material. Hmm, I used to frequently get 10 mil plastic
cards
> in my mailbox as an inducement to join some record club or support some political party, etc, but
> I haven't seen one of those for awhile. A
friend of
> mine says he got rid of his unclip problems by angling the cleat slightly,
but I
> don't see exactly how do this with any kind of precision, nor do I
understand
> why it would work. In fairness, this could be an experience problem, it happened a lot more when I
> first got them, but it still happens once or
twice a
> ride 500 miles later.
>
> I used Time ATAC for a little while before I got the Frogs, they clipped
in OK,
> I sometimes had trouble getting out. This probably would have gotten
better
> with more miles, but I decided I wanted the spring-free float of the Frogs before I even had 100
> miles on them.
>
> Please repost once you get some miles on the BeBops, let us know how they
work
> for her.
>
> Robert

>I, too, have thought about switching from Frogs to BeBops....Sometimes, while riding, I can
>push down and forward on the pedal and I can get the'snick' sound of the lip engaging the pedal
>even though I got it when I first engaged, too. I think this is telling me the lip isn't
>staying engaged.

This sounds like a clear indication that the rubber insert on the back of the Frog cleats, which
normally pushes the "lip" section out to engage, is itself worn out. My LBS sells Frog parts, and
those rubber inserts are replaeable.

Steve Christensen Midland, MI

I concur. I use Bebops with Shimano sandles, too. One caveat: Bebops require dremelling the sole of
your $75 sandles to allow clearance for the spindle. Not for the fainthearted! (One needs a
cone-shaped channel to allow for float.)

BentJay

[email protected] (BentJay) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I concur. I use Bebops with Shimano sandles, too. One caveat: Bebops require dremelling the sole
> of your $75 sandles to allow clearance for the spindle. Not for the fainthearted! (One needs a
> cone-shaped channel to allow for float.)

or a really sharp knife.

rorschandt

--
May all beings be happy. May they be joyous and live in safety. All living beings, whether weak or
strong, in high or middle or low realms of existence, small or great, visible or invisible, near or
far, born or to be born, Let no one deceive another, nor despise any being in any state; Let none by
anger or hatred wish harm to another. Even as a mother at the risk of her life watches over and
protects her only child, so with a boundless mind should one cherish all living things,

Until I heard the comments on this thread I really didn't think much about that little "lip". And
yes, those little rubber things are badly worn. Didn't realize they could be replaced. I have three
sets of Frogs and with one of them the lip gadget just fell off. I'm really not too impressed with
the way that lip is designed, but I certainly will try to get replacement parts. That lip design is
one of the reasons I decided to look at Bebops.

Does anyone have any comments about the new Frog cleats? I understand they are not identical to the
old ones and some folks don't like them for one reason or another. I've been reluctant to get new
cleats because of these negative comments.

Thanks for your help.

"Steve Christensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> >I, too, have thought about switching from Frogs to BeBops....Sometimes,
while
> >riding, I can push down and forward on the pedal and I can get the'snick' sound of
the lip
> >engaging the pedal even though I got it when I first engaged, too. I
think this
> >is telling me the lip isn't staying engaged.
>
>
>
> This sounds like a clear indication that the rubber insert on the back of
the
> Frog cleats, which normally pushes the "lip" section out to engage, is
itself
> worn out. My LBS sells Frog parts, and those rubber inserts are
replaeable.
>
> Steve Christensen Midland, MI

Frogs are a great pedal system. I've been using them for about three years. Recently replaced
the cleats.

Speedplay recommends twisting the foot from side to side when clipping
in. You shoudl e able to hear a noticeable "click" when clipped in properly.

I agree with an earlier post that angling the cleat differently on the shoe can help with getting
clipped in securely. Give that a try.

<rb

I have used both the Time's and Bebop's. The Time's were great on my mountain bike but my knees
needed float on the bent. I'v never had any problems unclipping with either pedal. Entry is about
the same level of difficulty on both. If you don't get your foot in the right place, it's not going
to clip in. When you do hit the spot, you have to push forward with the Time's and straight with the
Bebop's. If I didn't need the float, I'd still be using the Time's. Both are great pedals and it
just depends if you need float. For a novice, I think the Bebop's would be better if someone got the
cleats mountedand shoe carved out for them. The release is easier on the Bebops.

I cannot tell you about the Eggbeaters, but I switched from Frogs to Bebops several years ago. I am
very happy that I made the switch. The Bebops wear better and work better IMHO. I do find that I
like putting Krytec (erzatz White Lightning) on the cleats weekly.

Andy

"Dave Harney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hates having her foot unclip on hill) plus it usually takes her quite
awhile
> to make the connection properly. We have tried a variety of platform and power strap type pedals,
> but she really needs a cleat arrangement to keep her feet firmly attached when hitting bumps. We
> tired eggbeaters, but she is not happy with the amount of effort it takes to click into them.
>
> (float, easy enter/exit) but it looks like making
the
> connection will be more positive and provide her with more feedback of
being
> properly connected. I'm also hoping that she will be able to find/feel
the
> connection point quicker than she does with the Frogs.
>
>

Status
Not open for further replies.