Front light for Oversized Bars?

Gistane

New Member
Mar 10, 2003
Does anyone know what lights you can get for oversized handlebars?

Pretty much all the current lights out seem to be too small and dont see alot out there for oversized bars. I know Cateye makes one but are there others?

On 2005-05-02, BrettS <[email protected]> wrote:
> Joel Mayes wrote:

<SNIP>

>> Pardon the flame bait...
>>
>> Single LED number? Those thing should be banned. You can't bloody well
>> see them from any decent distance or from any angle other then right in
>> front particularly when there is bright car lights behind or beside the
>> bike.

> Your experience must be different to mine. I have one that I use during
> the twilight hours where I can see where I'm going, but want to be seen.
> IMO the flashing LED is more distinctive than a standard light when
> set against a backdrop of street lights, car headlights, etc. In fact,
> the reason I got it was because I saw others using them and they
> appeared to be quite effective. Of course, if it is pitch black and it
> is your only light, you are asking for trouble. Especially when set to
> slow flash mode... this is why I also have a 5W and 10W light for when
> I want to see the road.

A flashing LED light works well when they have more then 1 LED and are
flashing quickly, but those strap-on 1 LED flashers are designed to be
emergency lights not your sole running light and 'cause the light
originates from a small point it is easily obscured. From the right
angles and distances the hoods, brake levers, or riders hands cover the
light completely.

This is only exasperated by the way the strap-on light attach to the
bars without any decent separation or elevation to give them a clear
line.

>> When I cycled to Clayton regularly last year I used to have a near
>> collision, about every two weeks, with one particular cyclist who
>> used one of those lights.

> Was it his only light, in flashing mode, in the dark?

Yep, Flashing very slowly, about once every two seconds, so if you
glance over the shoulder before turning or changing lanes and catch that
1.5 seconds of darkness between flashes...

Cheers

Joel

Gistane said:
Does anyone know what lights you can get for oversized handlebars?

Pretty much all the current lights out seem to be too small and dont see alot out there for oversized bars. I know Cateye makes one but are there others?

Just this last weekend purchased a NiteFlux VisionStick and the handle bar mounts fit bars from 21mm to 32mm

Available in 5W 10W and 5W/15W models

for further info see http://www.niteflux.com.au/home.aspx

Mike

On Mon, 02 May 2005 at 14:04 GMT, mikeg (aka Bruce)
> Just this last weekend purchased a NiteFlux VisionStick and the handle
> bar mounts fit bars from 21mm to 32mm
>
> Available in 5W 10W and 5W/15W models

Is the charger for the niteflux a timer based, or proper charger?

I think I've made my mind up on the niteflux 20, but want to know
about the charger first.

I'm all for computer dating, but I wouldn't want one to marry my sister. --unk

"TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 02 May 2005 at 14:04 GMT, mikeg (aka Bruce)
>> Just this last weekend purchased a NiteFlux VisionStick and the handle
>> bar mounts fit bars from 21mm to 32mm
>>
>> Available in 5W 10W and 5W/15W models

> Is the charger for the niteflux a timer based, or proper charger?
>
> I think I've made my mind up on the niteflux 20, but want to know
> about the charger first.

It says it's a smart charger with autoshutoff but after charging a flat
battery for about 5-6 hours the battery starts getting warm and stays warm
so I turn it off. I've accidentally left it on for way too long and it's
still warm then. Maybe my charger is faulty. Will this damage my NiMh
batteries?

Adam

On Mon, 02 May 2005 at 23:04 GMT, adam (aka Bruce)
> "TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I think I've made my mind up on the niteflux 20, but want to know
>> about the charger first.

> It says it's a smart charger with autoshutoff but after charging a flat
> battery for about 5-6 hours the battery starts getting warm and stays warm
> so I turn it off. I've accidentally left it on for way too long and it's
> still warm then. Maybe my charger is faulty. Will this damage my NiMh
> batteries?

Auto-shutoff probably just means it is a timer-based charger.

Sure, it shuts it off before it it likely to explode, but it's still
not very good. It will still overcharge if you don't start charging
from it being nearly flat everytime. And don't take this to mean you
should completely drain the batteries each time before charge - this
will just kill the batteries in another way instead.

Anyone seeking the "Relativistic Quantum Mechanics" soft option
course, may wish to leave now. -- Intro lecture to RQM