Frozen Cassettes-Advice needed

Meek One

May 5, 2004
Anyone know of a way to keep ice or frozen slush ice build-up off of the cassette during the winter. When it gets bad you can't shift anymore, when it's really bad your chain will refuse to catch the gear you are in.

Any tips appreciated!!!

AND yes I will ride all winter in the snow :D

Meek One said:
Anyone know of a way to keep ice or frozen slush ice build-up off of the cassette during the winter. When it gets bad you can't shift anymore, when it's really bad your chain will refuse to catch the gear you are in.

Any tips appreciated!!!

AND yes I will ride all winter in the snow :D

I have not experienced anything that will *guarantee* that none of the above concerns will happen, but I have had decent (read: limited) success by just using copious amounts of a very good wet weather lube on all of the drive-train components. It won't do much with the snow build-up issue though...

I remember an ex-riding buddy from when I lived in CO and he kept a water bottle filled with that "ice melter" liquid on his bike for his winter riding. I seem to remember it working fine for those situations you are talking about. A low friction cog "sweeper" (that wouldn't interfere with normal operations) would be a cool thing to make for those that ride in the great white north or similar locations. You should "invent" that and make your fortune! I hope there was some "help" in there somewhere...

K.