RR: Frozen Belmont

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Carla A-G, Feb 12, 2003.

  1. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Monkeyboy" John, Joe, Jim and myself did a night ride in Belmont State Park. It was the first time
    Jim and I rode there. John and Joe were to be our guides for the night. The trail is mainly flat,
    fast, double track with tiny sections of singletrack thrown in. The ride was intended to be short
    and fast. The trail was covered in deep snow that was packed down in some sections from the hikers,
    while the rest was deep, white and fluffy.

    The park is well known for its criminal activities. Last week, John found a pair of bloody gloves
    and a blood trail in the snow. It was reported to the local authorities and it is still under
    investigation. He also once encountered a fully naked man riding his bike in the woods, he was also
    reported to the local authorities because there were children playing in the woods. Soooo, Jim and I
    cautiously made our way to John's house to begin the ride from there. He lives a few blocks from us,
    so we rode the frozen and icy streets to get there.

    We rode down the block and entered the park at the end of the street. The pace was fast on the
    packed down double track. As soon as we hit the sections of singletrack, the deep snow made it
    difficult to ride. We had to maintain the momentum in order to stay upright and cut through the snow
    with our tires. The logs that crossed the trail didn't make it any easier.

    The whole loop runs about 12 miles in total. We were not going to do the whole thing, it was much
    too cold to remain out there for long. About 3/4 of the way through, we stopped for a pee break.
    Standing around and chatting for a bit, we noticed a car with flood lights coming up the double
    track. Uh oh, it was a cop. We fully expected that we would encounter one somewhere along the way.
    He stopped about 20 feet from our group and pointed his blinding light in our direction. We waited
    for him to step out of the car, but he didn't. He continued to sit inside his car with his lights
    pointed towards us. John decided to go over and explain why 4 people, with lights and layers upon
    layers of bike clothing were doing standing in the middle of the woods. Really, we're not crazy,
    officer. The situation was explained, the cop was cool with it and went about his merry way, looking
    for any possible murderers hiding in the woods. We rode on and finished the last 1/4 of the trail.

    Fortunately, we encountered no nasty situations. No bloody gloves, no dead or naked people. Just 4
    frozen mountainbikers, happily riding in the woods...

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

    Tags:

  2. Carla A-G wrote:

    > Fortunately, we encountered no nasty situations. No bloody gloves, no dead or naked people. Just 4
    > frozen mountainbikers, happily riding in the woods...

    Good to hear you didnt end up frozen, naked and dead with bloody biking gloves on.

    --
    Matt

    Fear of a flat planet

  3. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > Fortunately, we encountered no nasty situations. No bloody gloves, no dead or naked people. Just 4
    > frozen mountainbikers, happily riding in the woods...

    Sure, but have we heard from Jim today????

  4. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    Cinder Girl wrote:

    > "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > > Fortunately, we encountered no nasty situations. No bloody gloves, no dead or naked people. Just
    > > 4 frozen mountainbikers, happily riding in the woods...
    > >
    > Sure, but have we heard from Jim today????

    Here I am!!! I made it!

    Jimbo(san)

  5. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:45:27 -0500, "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Monkeyboy" John, Joe, Jim and myself did a night ride in Belmont State Park. It was the first time
    >Jim and I rode there. John and Joe were to be our guides for the night. The trail is mainly flat,
    >fast, double track with tiny sections of singletrack thrown in. The ride was intended to be short
    >and fast. The trail was covered in deep snow that was packed down in some sections from the hikers,
    >while the rest was deep, white and fluffy.
    >
    >The park is well known for its criminal activities. Last week, John found a pair of bloody gloves
    >and a blood trail in the snow. It was reported to the local authorities and it is still under
    >investigation. He also once encountered a fully naked man riding his bike in the woods, he was also
    >reported to the local authorities because there were children playing in the woods. Soooo, Jim and
    >I cautiously made our way to John's house to begin the ride from there. He lives a few blocks from
    >us, so we rode the frozen and icy streets to get there.
    >
    >We rode down the block and entered the park at the end of the street. The pace was fast on the
    >packed down double track. As soon as we hit the sections of singletrack, the deep snow made it
    >difficult to ride. We had to maintain the momentum in order to stay upright and cut through the
    >snow with our tires. The logs that crossed the trail didn't make it any easier.
    >
    >The whole loop runs about 12 miles in total. We were not going to do the whole thing, it was much
    >too cold to remain out there for long. About 3/4 of the way through, we stopped for a pee break.
    >Standing around and chatting for a bit, we noticed a car with flood lights coming up the double
    >track. Uh oh, it was a cop. We fully expected that we would encounter one somewhere along the way.
    >He stopped about 20 feet from our group and pointed his blinding light in our direction. We waited
    >for him to step out of the car, but he didn't. He continued to sit inside his car with his lights
    >pointed towards us. John decided to go over and explain why 4 people, with lights and layers upon
    >layers of bike clothing were doing standing in the middle of the woods. Really, we're not crazy,
    >officer. The situation was explained, the cop was cool with it and went about his merry way,
    >looking for any possible murderers hiding in the woods. We rode on and finished the last 1/4 of
    >the trail.
    >
    >Fortunately, we encountered no nasty situations. No bloody gloves, no dead or naked people. Just 4
    >frozen mountainbikers, happily riding in the woods...
    >
    >- CA-G
    >
    >Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

    Nice, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    :-]

  6. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    <snip>
    > He also once encountered a fully naked man riding his bike in the woods, he was also reported to
    > the local authorities because there were children playing in the woods.

    Guess somebody was getting an early training session in for the Mount Snow crit. /s

  7. "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    <snip>Last week, John found a pair of bloody gloves and a blood trail in the snow.<snip>

    I still think OJ did it.

    Otherwise, cool ride report. I just rode on a snow covered trail last weekend. It is weird that the
    tires actually have traction as long as it isn't icy. Now however, it is due to rain for 3 days here
    in St. Louis, so there won't be a repeat this Sunday. :-(

    Brad and Julie Vaughn It was also the first time I ever rode with anyone but Julie.

  8. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    Brad and Julie Vaughn wrote:

    > "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > <snip>Last week, John found a pair of bloody gloves and a blood trail in the snow.<snip>
    >
    > I still think OJ did it.
    >
    > Otherwise, cool ride report. I just rode on a snow covered trail last weekend. It is weird that
    > the tires actually have traction as long as it isn't icy. Now however, it is due to rain for 3
    > days here in St. Louis, so there won't be a repeat this Sunday. :-(
    >
    > Brad and Julie Vaughn It was also the first time I ever rode with anyone but Julie.

    Cheater ;-P

    Jimbo(san)