FSA and EVO carbon parts

nbfman

Sep 12, 2005
I was curious to learn more about FSA and EVO carbon parts, which I recently saw in a store. They seemed to be priced lower than other carbon parts that I've seen. I found FSA's web page, but it didn't say much about the company. Does anyone know where their main office is located? Also, what has been your experience with their products? I could not find a decent link on any company called EVO, but the only thing I have seen of theirs is a carbon water bottle cage. Does anyone have further information about EVO and their products?

Thanks for any help.

nbfman

I take it you are something of a newbie. ;) FSA is now, rightly or wrongly, the preeminent maker of aftermarket (and increasingly OEM) cranksets (as well as being at the forefront of the compact crankset revolution), mainly carbon fiber, but even a bit of alu for the poorer elements in the cycling population.

They have also branched out into a lot of other componentry, and are well known for their integrated handlebar-stem combos, as well as their headsets. All high quality stuff, with the exception of their wheelsets - IMHO they still have a waays to go before matching Mavic and Campagnolo on wheelsets.

If my memory serves me correctly, FSA is an American company which contracts the fabrication of everything they design to Taiwan.

EVO on the other hand, I admit to having heard about, and that's it. :eek:

Thanks for the helpful comments that give me some perspective.

Yes, I am quite new to the recent cycling stuff. My love was bicycle touring, back in the days when Reynolds 531 was state-of-the-art stuff and Sun Tour was going strong with components like VX, Cyclone, and Superbe. I took a long hiatus, then, when I decided to get back into riding and got a road bike, I suddenly found everything to be aluminum, carbon, 30 speeds, click shift .... it was a shock. Still trying to learn about what's going on.

nbfman

I have the FSA one piece seatpost and the Team issue triple. The post replaced a Deda that came apart after a year (I've only had it for a few months, but it has a nice offset and the design sems well thought out). I had a bad middle ring on the triple and FSA had a replacement ring to my LBS within a week. Pretty stiff crankarms, so I don't notice any flex. Each of the pieces go together nicely, machining and tolerances look good ( I worked at a machine shop for a few years).

I just picked up an FSA K-Light seat post to replace my current one. I could not find any torque specs for it anywhere. Do you know what the right torques are for the seat tube clamp and the seat fixing bolts?

nbfman said:
I just picked up an FSA K-Light seat post to replace my current one. I could not find any torque specs for it anywhere. Do you know what the right torques are for the seat tube clamp and the seat fixing bolts?

Sorry, LBS put it on. You might try sites for other vendors posts, and see if they mention torque specs.