full fenders on a 2010 Cannondale Synapse?

Bob Ross

Jun 22, 2006
Been looking for a new bike for the missus so she can ride in the rain, something that can accept full-coverage fenders (like Honjos or SKS/Esges). I was all resigned to finding an old steel bike or perhaps a cyclocross frame, but last week while poking around in the LBS I noticed some 2010 Cannondale Synapses that have "braze-ons" (sic) on both front & rear dropouts. One of them was a pretty low-end model, aluminum frame, was selling for ~$800 ...the other looked like it was a carbon frame & fork, selling for ~$1350.

I'm wondering if either of these bikes really has enough clearance at the fork crown & bottom-bracket/chainstay junction for full-coverage fenders.

Wife would *love* it if she could have a Synapse as her foul-weather bike, since she currently rides a 2006 Synapse and it took forever to finally get her comfortably fit to that. If she could at least have a frame that's close geometrically/dimensionally to her current bike it would make her that much more enthusiastic about riding a backup bike in inclement weather.

So...anyone know if these newer lower-end Synapses can accept full-coverage fenders (w/ 23c tires)? Thanks.

If the brake calipers have a 39mm-49mm/50mm reach, then probably 'no' with regard to the frame being fitted with fenders.

If the brake calipers have a 49mm-59mm reach, then probably 'yes' with regard to the frame being fitted with fenders.